So...DCU Online

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

So...DCU Online

Post by fbmf »

Put aside your collective hate-on for DCU for a moment...

Is DCU Online worth a damn? I've always been wary of MMORPGs, so I have little experience with them. Is this a good one? Is it a good gateway? Do I need a party, or can I play the game solo?

Game On,
fbmf
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I had only tried it for a little bit, and I found the control scheme absolutely infuriating. It is, however, free, so there's no reason not to try it out if you play the PC version.

I had played Champions Online for a lot longer, and the big thing that makes CO suck is how awful a lot of the storyline is - it tries too hard to be silly and ends up being dumb. The combat was enjoyable, at least, although you really do need to subscribe as character creation was most of the fun and a lot of that is locked.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Quasi-related question: Is the PC version of Arkham Asylum/City any good?

Game On,
fbmf
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I've only played Asylum, not city, and the game worked fine with mouse and keyboard - the controls felt very natural, and it's a very good game - it felt like Batman and was really engaging. However, the game uses Games For Windows Live, which means if you have a console, you want to play that version instead, because GFWL sucks and ruins everything it touches. If you have no choice, though, go ahead with the PC version.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

GFWL does suck, and it is an extra layer of annoyance you will have to be bothered to grumble through. But I don't think anything in the Batman Arkham games depends on it, so it's not a major failure point. I never had any issues.

As for the games themself, they ran fine and I never felt like I was fighting the controls (used m+kb) to get the characters to do what I want. Sooo... yeah. If you want them on PC, by all means.
MGuy
Prince

Re: So...DCU Online

Post by MGuy »

fbmf wrote:Put aside your collective hate-on for DCU for a moment...

Is DCU Online worth a damn? I've always been wary of MMORPGs, so I have little experience with them. Is this a good one? Is it a good gateway? Do I need a party, or can I play the game solo?

Game On,
fbmf
In a word DCU is boring*. Like really REALLY boring. I might suggest Guild Wars 2 as a gateway only because I find it both simple and engaging. The only major problem I have with it is that the story and the dialogue plays out like a Saturday morning cartoon. Often times to the point where it makes me gnash my teeth.

*Now I must say I also found DDO to be boring as well so YMMV
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.