Defense of the Assholes 2

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Hmm, maybe I'll try to give a serious shot at Dota 2 this time around. I played a lot of the original Dota back in the day, but eventually backed off because studies. Now I have somewhat more free time, and an itch of that kind of game to scratch.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

There is another thing that Dota does better than Lol. A patch with that much stuff, and it only took 7 minutes for me to download, as opposed to where Lol updates took 15-20.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

So I just played a match where 3 of my teammates were complete noobs.

And I do mean complete noobs:
-Neither of them managed to score a single kill. Zero. Nada.
-Together they feeded 60+ deaths to the enemy team.
-They didn't make a single recipe the whole game.

Like, the other team got first blood in the first minute and in the next five had another 8 kills.

I was playing as Vengeful Spirit. My only teammate who seemed to know what he was doing was a Wraith King, and he was a bit of a loner. He managed to score kills and avoiding dying, but was perfectly fine watching the rest of the team die and our towers being destroyed while doing something else.

I also managed to get some kills and remain alive, but we were being pushed back relentlessly. Soon our mid and bot barracks were wrecked. Our Lion teammate dropped.

Felt like rage quitting.

Instead I seemed to enter anime bersek mode. Somehow in a flurry of abilities I managed to wipe out most of the enemy team and gain three levels in one go plus a shitton of gold. Butterfly get. Score some more kills. Desolator get. Kill some more. Heart of Tarrasque get. I didn't die again. Facing Bounty Hunter and Drow Ranger and Juggernaut head on and wiping them out whenever I met them. Hold the line, not a step back. Drow Ranger killed Tarrasque and got a Rapier in a last ditch effort to rush our ancient. I killed her until she died then picked the rapier from her dead corpse and used it to basically solo each of the enemy barracks sets.

Also whenever Wraith King bothered to fight near Vengeful Spirit it was glorious. Bonus damage aura+vampiric aura is pretty brutal.

In retrospective, something that definitely helped our team come back was that the enemy team had no hard stuns, only the Bounty Hunter shuriken, while our team had 4 hard stuns. Even if the Lion player sucked, he still managed to land an area stun on the enemy team now and then. Or that may've been the AI. Not sure. Still feeling pretty satisfied now for that comeback. Feels great winning when you're behind on deaths (doubly so when we were also behind in two lanes at one point)
Last edited by maglag on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I heard they had a huge update lately. What has changed thus far?
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Dota reborn allows people to easily host custom maps like the old Warcraft III. Pudge Wars, arenas, etc. I've been having some casual fun with Dota 10x10 (ganks, ganks everywhere) and Dota Imba (get kills before even leaving the fountain).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So... I don't know if anyone here still plays this, but... One of my recent-ish figma acquisitions came with a bonus code for DOTA 2: a "imbued trove carafe" gift key. I presume others know what that is. I don't know, because I don't play the game. Anywho, I have no need for the code, so if anyone wanted it... just PM me and lemme know.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I haven't played in ages, and I have also been absent from these forums for a long time.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

The Imbued Trove Carafe gives you a random cosmetic called an "Immortal" from a handful of options. I assume they gave you the 2016 version.

I play a decent amount of DotA. I'd be happy to take it off your hands if it's not already gone. Alternatively you could use it if you ever feel the masochistic urge to take up DotA.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

So I don't play Dota at all, but I've actually found it very enjoyable to watch in a sports sense. Kind of like when I watched basketball with my dad as a kid. I certainly enjoy it more than televised sports.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

...You Lost Me wrote:The Imbued Trove Carafe gives you a random cosmetic called an "Immortal" from a handful of options. I assume they gave you the 2016 version.
So that's what is. I know very little about the game except that a figure was made Wind Ranger and I liked the design so I bought it. (I've gotten things for a lot less.)
I play a decent amount of DotA. I'd be happy to take it off your hands if it's not already gone. Alternatively you could use it if you ever feel the masochistic urge to take up DotA.
Unfortunately it's already been taken, although if I get anymore codes (they've made two other DoTA figures), I'll send one your way.

Personally, I'm not much of an MMO's person. I'm more a "couch co-op" kinda guy.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee