[LP] The Way of the Tiger. (Complete)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, let's just focus on getting to Mortavalon for now.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The road winds down from the hills and you see the city of Mortavalon, nestling in a bowl of green pastures and cornfields. The entrance to the city is through a large triumphal arch dedicated to a victory won by the Empire hunters who follow the god of Empire, Moraine, against the Soldiers of Fate. It is evening, and you fall in with a group of peasants who have been working the land. Explaining that you are a stranger, you ask them about their city.

It seems that the largest temple is to the god, Death, but the priests seldom interfere in daily life, as long as no-one quibbles over the occasional disappearance. They practice child-sacrifice. Tomorrow is to be a holiday, for there is a combat in the arena. It seems they are looking for a champion who may win a fabulous fortune.

• Follow one of them to visit the Master of the Arena?
• Walk on through the city?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The guy who runs death matches probably knows where the evil warriors hang out, so let's go visit him.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Absolutely. Death Arena to bring us fresh targets for our sweet nut punches.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The peasant who has been leading you stops outside a grand white building and points inside. You thank him and enter the cool marble-floored building, striding confidently towards a warrior dressed in a blue and gold toga. Suddenly the floor opens up underneath you and you are pitched downwards to the floor of a dark tunnel below. The man in the toga shouts down after you, 'Hurry friend, to the arean. If my men catch you first, they will kill you.'

You can see no way out save down the tunnel ahead of you.

The cave is dark, but light filters down into it from a narrow crack in the ceiling. As you inch your way along the uneven floor, you hear footsteps behind you and hurry on into the darkness. Steps lead down and, as you descend, a curious noise like the grinding of metal cogs sounds above.

Suddenly a torrent of water cascades down the steps and you run on through the darkness, feeling the wall with your hand. You are soon knee-deep and beginning to wonder if there is any way out at the end of the tunnel when a portcullis slams to the floor behind you. The level of water drops and you find yourself trapped in an iron cage. There is no escape and you languish in the cage for some hours, using the time to meditate and relax. Suddenly the cage is flooded with light as a door at the end of the tunnel is flung open.

You are under the seats of a huge circular arena which is slowly filling with people. The huge crowd cheers as a trumpet sounds and the fron of the cage collapses to the ground. A group of soldiers come to the back of the cage and motion you to step out into the arena, poking spears through the portcullis.

'May Fate smile on you,' says one. 'Only one of you can become the king of the castle, and live.'

You step out into the sunlight to another cheer from the crowd, and the cage front is pulled up again behind you and you cannot go back. Squinting in the sun, you look around you.

The floor of the arena is divided into sections. In the centre a huge Hobgoblin, brandishing a trident, stands at the top of a miniature castle, which is surrounded by a large moat. The circle outside the moat is divided into four sectors by fences of iron spikes. The sector to your left is a small plain of grass, to your right is a frozen lake, created magically. Beyond the plain is a lurid green swamp and beetween swamp and ice is a desert of sand dunes. You are standing on a platform between the grass and ice.

At the opposite side of the arena, a man in silver armour, his face hidden by his visor, stands on a similar platform. Between you both, to your left is a Dark Elf, waving her blacksteel sword defiantly, and at the edge of the arena stands a young man in flowing blue and gold robes. On the ice-lake stands a Snow Giant, ten feet tall; two roaring lions roam the plain. You can see nothing but a boat in the swamp, and in the desert waits a man with the swaying head and neck of a cobra.

As you look around you, the platform begins to slide down towards the ground, and you will soon be within reach of the lions or the Snow Giant. Indeed, they can now move freely into each other's area. The walls of the arena are sheer and lined with the spears of soldiers. The man in armour steps onto the dunes as the Dark Elf wades into the swamp. The man in the blue and gold robes waits, still.
Avenger, Grandmaster of the Five Winds
Modifiers: Kick -1
Inner Force: 5
Endurance: 20/20
Shuriken: ****
Ninja Tools: Ninja Costume, Breathing Tube, Iron Sleeves, Garotte, Flash Powder, Flint & Tinder, Spiderfish, Blood of Nil.
Special Items: Opal Ring, Pouch with 10 Gold Pieces.
• Move to the plain and take your chances with the lions?
• Step onto the ice lake?
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

plain.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

One Giant is probably weaker than two Lions, but the frozen lake seems like it would require Acrobatics to be able to fight on without chance of the ice breaking or us slipping or some combination of the two.

So I guess we go on to the plain after the Lions, and hope that we can take them one-on-one.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As you step onto the plain, the man in blue and gold moves onto the ice lake. The lions, slavering, rush towards you; they are large and strong. You cannot help admiring their speed and power.

• Meet them on the grass?
• Retreat onto the ice lake?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we can get them to go on the ice, it should fuck them up really bad; then again, the ice might fuck us up, too.

But it shouldn't fuck us up as bad as it'll fuck up two "large and strong" lions that are at least twice our size each and presumably have no experience walking on ice.

Let's go for the ice, and hope it doesn't require anything to run around and fight on.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You run to the ice and leap onto it, sliding away from the lions. They charge fter you but lose their footing on the treacherous surface, the look on their faces quite comical as they experience something completely unexpected. You manage to negotiate your way past them, using your excellent sense of balance. Each time they lunge for you their feet slip and they fall flat. You sprint across the plain and leap into the swamp. The lions, gaining the grass, again snap at your heels, but pull up short at the edge of the unnaturally green slime.

You leap into the slimy green swamp and sink nearly to your waist. The bog sucks at your feet as you fight your way towards the boat which rocks gently in the middle of the morass of mud and slime. The Dark Elf is also bent on gaining the boat, but there is a sudden eruption of mud and slime as a featureless mass of blubber and threshing tentacles surges out of the water before her.
It is a Shaggoth, or slime beast, which wraps its stinking tentacles around the shrieking Dark Elf. You briefly catch sight of the desert, where the knight is battling the Cobra Man.
Endurance: 20/20
Ninja Tools: Ninja Costume, Breathing Tube, Iron Sleeves, Garotte, Flash Powder, Flint & Tinder, Spiderfish, Blood of Nil.
• Go to the aid of the Dark Elf?
• Make a grab for the boat?
• Wade on past and drag yourself out into the desert?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Dark Elves are jerk, leave her for the Shoggoth and steal the boat.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We just need to take the castle, so there's no need to bother fighting the slime beast.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You grab the small boat as the Shaggoth sinks slowly into the mire, dragging the struggling Dark Elf with it. She gives vent to a bubbling scream as she sinks slowly beneath the surface. To your dismay, the boat is full of cracks and holes, and has let in a great deal of swampy water.

• Jump in and try to row it to the moat?
• Abandon it and drag yourself over to the desert dunes?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, going to the desert means facing that snake man who could kill us in one hit, so I suggest risking the moat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You row the boat across the slime-covered swamp, towards the moat, but from the moment that you climbed into it, water has been pouring in through the cracks and as you float out across the moat, the boat begins to sink. To your horror, you see that the water is infested with Floating Mouths, voracious fish, all teeth and elastic belly.

• If you are skilled in Climbing, you may try to throw your grappling hook onto the wall of the miniature castle and hop to climb up the rope. √
If you are an Acrobat you may wish to attempt an enormous leap to the far side of the moat.
• Ifyou do not wish to use these skills or do not possess them, you dive into the moat and strike out for the castle.

You hurl your grappling hook and rope at the castle wall. Make a Fate Roll.

(Fate smiles.)

The hook catches the castle wall and you leap towards the far side of the moat. You hit the water with a splash and begin pulling yourself up to the wall as fast as you can. The water boils around you as the Floating Mouths streak towards their prey, and two are still fixed to you as you pull yourself out. Lose 3 Endurance as they tear at your flesh.

If you are still alive, you sweep them away and, standing up, look around. The Dark Elf is nowhere to be seen, lost in the swamp, and the knight lies spreadeagled on the sand, but the man in blue and gold robes is floating across the moat on a small ice floe.

The robed man sterps towards you, he is young, no older than yourself, and his eyes twinkle merrily. A golden disk hangs in front of his chest on a necklace of coral. The Hobgoblin watches, thumping his trident in the castle tower. The young man speaks.
'Greetings, fellow combatant. I will not ask what crime you have committed that the people of Mortavalon sent you into the arena. Instead, let me make a suggestion to you. I am a magician, my spells are potent and deadly.' You notice that his golden and blue robes are unruffled as he continues.

'I have killed the Giant of the Snows and I could kill you, but then I would have to kill that too,' he points at the Hobgoblin, 'and if I died, not one of use would have survived. Let us make peace and kill that foul beast together, then let the crows decide which of use shall live. Here, clasp my hand on it.' He offers his hand.
Endurance: 17/20
• Take his hand?
• Attack him?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If there was a "refuse his hand, but accept his offer" I'd do that, in case he's got a touch spell ready that will curse and/or kill us if we take his hand, but I doubt he's got another trick up his sleeve.

But since we can't do that, let's look at our choices: he said he's a criminal, so he's probably not trustworthy, and he thinks ninjas are less dangerous than hobgoblins (or he doesn't know we're a ninja), so he's probably not very wise either; I therefore suggest we attack, and show him what a true master of deception can do.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

The guy we saved from the previous Cobra Man said not to shake hand with this guy. So let's punch him in the nuts instead.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Seeing that you will not clasp his hand, the magician begins to cast a spell.

• If you have the skill of Poison Needles, you may wish to use one.
• Or you may wish to attack him with an Iron Fist punch.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

MisterDee wrote:The guy we saved from the previous Cobra Man said not to shake hand with this guy. So let's punch him in the nuts instead.
I'm embarrassed to admit that I completely fucking forgot what that guy said; I guess I can take pride in that I still made the right choice, at least.

And we took the Poison Needles skill, so we're going to fucking spit poison needles at this guy.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Yeah, let's Poison Needle this dude. We still have another fight waiting for us at the top.

Besides, it's a well-known fact that wizards have tiny dicks, so the Iron Fist won't be as effective.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

In one swift movement, you place a Poison Needle on your tongue and then spit it towards the magician's face. He tries to dodge it, his Defence against your needle is 4.

(We get a 7)

The needle buries itself in the magician's cheek and he claps a hand to it as the deadly poison takes effect. He begins to rock on his feet and then topples into the moat. The crowd are hushed for they were not able to see the needle and they think you are a warlock. The water boils as the Floating Mouths latch onto their prey. Within a minute his flesh has been stripped to the bone.

You climb up towards the Hobgoblin in his tower. The beast is showing off to the crowd, confident in another victory, beating his chest (which is twice as broad as yours) and twisting the trident in one hand. The tower is roughly built, with many hand-holds and you move around it, keeping the Hobgoblin confused as to your precise position. The, holding an outcrop of stone with your hands, you swing up into the tower behind him. He whirls and you attack him with blinding speed.

• Leaping Tiger kick?
• Whirlpool throw?
• Tiger's Paw chop?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

He's big and easily confused by sudden movement, so we should use Whirlpool Throw.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Throw then punch, then a thousand more punches. Failing that plan's success, launch a thousand more punches.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The Hobgoblin tries to shovel you up on the end of his wickedly barbed trident as you dance sideways and try to grab its shaft so that you can whirl his heavy body over your hip.

HOBGOBLIN
Defence against Whirlpool Throw: 6
Damage: 1 Die+3

If you throw successfully, you see him roll and come to his feet, but you attack him while he is rising. You can punch or kick adding 2 to your Kick or Punch modifier for that attack only.

If you failed to throw him, he elbows you in the ribs with bone cracking force (lose 2 Endurance). If you are still alive, he tries to spit you with his trident. Your Defence against this thrust is 7.

(The throw is successful)

As the Hobgoblin whirls the butt of the trident towards your side, you chop the side of your hand down into his warty shoulder.

HOBGOBLIN
Defence against Tiger's Paw: 5
Endurance: 18
Damage: 1 Die+1

If the Hobgoblin is still alive, you must try to leap over the flailing butt of his trident. Your Defence against this great sweep is 8.

(Unsurprising success, dealing 4 damage. But the Throw is a high-risk maneuver, failure coming with automatic damage and then a high damage attack to follow it. The simple thousand punches seems like a better plan.)

(The fight goes on for a long time due to abominable damage rolls on Avenger's part. The enemy is not harmless, either. Despite many block attempts, three hits got through for 12 more damage before the Hobgoblin falls. Shaky shape indeed.)

The crowd cheer as you throw the Hobgoblin's trident into the moat, and the castle itself begins to sink into the ground. Searching the vile body of the swart beast, you find a phial marked 'Magic Potion;' the Hobgoblins' prize for winning in the arena, it had been his most prized possession. Removing the stopper, you detect the unmistakable odour of Essence of Firenewt, not a magic potion at all. The Hobgoblin had been tricked, but you may find a use for it and decide to keep it.

The castle disappears from the view of the ecstatic populace of Mortavalon, whose blood-lust you have temporarily sated, and a passage leads to you to the street outside. A press of people gathers round you. An aristocrat's butler offers you a job as a bodyguard as you are both showered with rose-blooms.You try to get away from these unwanted attentions but a man tugs at your iron sleeve. You turn, ready to Cobra Strike, but he says 'Do you come from the Island of Tranquil Dreams?'
Endurance: 5/20
Special Items: Opal Ring, Pouch with 10 Gold Pieces, Essence of Firenewt.
• Admit that you do?
• Say that you have never heard of such an island?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Given the kind of city we're in I doubt honesty is the best policy here.