[IC]Shadow over Stygia

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

[IC]Shadow over Stygia

Post by Ancient History »

Kheshatta, City of Magicians... whose dusky-skinned whores know debaucheries that would shrivel the soul of their rivals in Luxor; whose slave markets groan with black-skinned Kushites from the south and pale-skinned Shemite daughters from the north; where sacred serpents sleep lazily on gore-stained altars, attended by indifferent priests who care less for the glory of Set than their own sorcerous powers...

Each of you had come to this city for your own reasons; some cast about by the winds of fate to wash up on strange shores, others in search of treasure, willing to barter your skills and strength of arm in return for coins of Stygian gold. A few may even have come seeking some lost truth of the soul, and there are dark sorcerers that would share such sardonic wisdom as they have for the right price.

You were bid to this place by a slave, who claimed their master had need of your services, and promised a reward too high to ignore, and so you followed him past the plazas of carven stone into the streets and alleys of baked mud-brick. In the walled courtyard of a nondescript building, a flat-topped structure in better repair than those around it, you tied up your animals and slaves so that the servants could see to their needs, and were led within, down a brief hallway whose doorways are covered with beaded curtains to a back room.

A single pale flame rose up from a stone on the floor, and the room was half-hidden in shadows, but as your eyes adjusted you sucked in your breath. On the walls were painted brightly-colored murals of the god Ibis, recalling the legends of his battles with the minions of Set, and at one end of the room lay a low altar of white stone, on either side of which pots of cinammon-sticks smoked, to fill the room with their incense. On the other side of the room lay rack upon rack of papyrus scrolls, full to bursting. Yet for all these sights your attention is most drawn to the hunched figure on the low throne seated before the flame, obviously the slave's master.

Shrunken and shriveled in his age, there is no mistaking the silvery skull-cap on his bald pate, or the hawk-like hook of the nose - aye, and if there was any further doubt of his identity, the thin ibis-headed wand on his grasp and the pale white cotton robes woven with feathers on his emaciated frame would declare this to be Karanthes, the last priest of Ibis, shrouded in legend for his struggles with the arch-sorcerer Thoth-Amon, who to still be alive must be nearing his second century. Yet there is still the gleam on intelligence and wisdom in those staring eyes, and the hint of mirth in the wrinkles around mouth and eyes, and years of pain etched in the fine crosswork of scars that peek out from beneath his robes.

"Know, ye thieves, warriors, and scholars, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of Conan II to the throne of Aquilonia, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs...aye, Stygia! And before Stygia-was-Stygia there was Acheron, heir to the Giant Kings...and before them the histories, already half-legend, slink away into dark and foreboding myths of those prehuman entities that warred and struggled long before any of the races of man or man's gods came to this earth. They say Father Set knew them in the dawn times, and the Old Serpent has shared some smattering of that lore with his sorcerer-priests, the fabled Black Ring."

"Yet the power of the Black Ring has been broken for a generation. Thoth-Amon's final incarnation slain by King Conan's hand, his fabled ring lost, and with him fell the flower of Stygian sorcerers, so for decades acolytes have reigned where high priests once stood, and ancient scrolls crack and fade without being read or copied, and they who would have been among the least now consider themselves great. Yet there is one among them, Kasetshuset by name, who makes up for power with cunning. Though he has not yet progressed to that rank in the priesthood of Set where he should learn of the Great Old Ones, who are and were and ever shall be, yet somehow he has...and worse, with this imperfect knowledge and without the dire warnings that accompany the usual instruction, he has set out to find and master their pre-human sorcery, and in so doing reconstitute the Black Ring, with himself as its master. Should this come to pass, the world will tremble, not at a sorcerer's ambitions but at what he may unwittingly unleash..."

"Before life flees this body, I must thwart Kasetshuset's plan. For this, I call on you. I know the nameless temple he seeks, and the treasure buried within, for it is hinted at in the Scrolls of Skelos, and warned against in the books of Vathelos the Blind. A book...the first book, if the legends speak truly...wherein the first magicians recorded all their lore of pre-human sorcery, set down in letters of cold fire, and bound about by alien science so as to be indestructible. Find this tome, and steal it before Kasetshuset can uncover it, and return it here...and I will give you each your weight in gold."

Exhausted by the long speech, the venerable priest awaits your questions.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

"If it is the prize you fear and not this priest, then I must insist you tell us more of these dangers, lest our own meddling prove just as ill-conceived. Also, in my lands, it is our custom to receive a considerable portion of any payment in advance..."

(Isandro is intrigued enough by this his weight-in-gold stuff that he's willing to bend a bit on his usual terms, but if he can diplo his way to some up-front cash or an assurance that money will be sent back to his father in the event of his death, he'll jump on it.)
bears fall, everyone dies
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well, it's a good thing I like Stygian food, because if you're paying me my weight in gold I've got a few thousand bowls of stew to get through.

Wait, Isandro, is that you? Remember, we were both part of that horrible Free Company down in Nemedia, ran by that incompetent dog-fucking shithead Tarly? You tried to keep the shithead from getting us all killed, and I had the misfortune of wrangling eight of those imbeciles he called soldiers. Thank god we both split from that, huh; they ended up getting their throats slit by a bunch of bandits after all their sentries fell asleep, if you can believe it. What brings you down to Stygia?"

[Given that we didn't end up working things out in the OOC thread, I figured this was a good compromise]
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Isandro gives a nod of recognition. "Bandits, eh? Well, I suppose even fools should be mourned. As for myself, my elder brother had made several arrangements with various merchants in Shem and it fell upon me to travel south and see through their obligations. My business with the caravans are now done, and I had intended to sail home from Luxur before being told of the present opportunity."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The pale skinned stygian smirks in the darkened room. "I'd be interested in payment up front as well. It's simply good business." He folds his arms behind his back, "also... I'd be willing to offer my services as physician should you need them, you don't look well, Karanthes..." he says wandering towards the racks of scrolls and peering at them.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

A large smile has spread across the other Zingaran's face, "For my weight in gold I'll steal whatever book you want." He vaguely gestures towards Isandro, "I do come the same land, however, and some manner down payment or compensation for expenses would be appreciated."
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I have not spent long in the City of Magicians, but know that even here, where Set stands beside other gods, instead of above them, that money is not as hard to come by as knowledge. I would leave the totaling of sums to others.

Similarly, pre-human sorcery is likely best left to the pre-humans. I would, however, speak of the early works of man. Ibis' cult was driven from Stygia long ago, and more's the pity, for they took many of the secrets of the Giant-Kings to Acheron-now-Nemedia with them. My ambition is less than that of Kasetshuset. These Great Old Ones should be left sleeping, if sleep is indeed what they do, but I would learn something tangible for this.

(I'm holding off on any sort of Diplomacy check, knowing full well the deeds commonly ascribed to Karanthes. If he mentions his ailing health I'll offer to do the remove fatigue touch of D3M while Kamoses diagnoses and try Diplomacy then.)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

"The talents of the sorcerers of Stygia are known even in the lands of Khitai, it is lamentable to see valuable knowledge become lost, and even more to see knowledge put in the wrong hands."

I'd like to Sense motive on the old Priest of Ibis, +9

'Cause he almost sounds like he means he's going to turn us all into gold when we give this wizend sorcerer the book of awesome magical power. But I'm fine with him taking over Stygia or whatever as it's far away from Khitai.
Btw Taotie basically looks like this:

(Minus the ears)
Dressed in Eastern attire with his left arm armored.

Black hair that's reddish in the sun, skin with a bronze cast (but if he stays out of sunlight/goes to a winter climate he gets pale in a week or so)

180cm, 75kg

Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kamoses has no intention of handing any kind of power to a political rival.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ignoring the comments on the state of his health, Karanthes raises one withered claw, and two of Karanthes' acolytes step forward; shaven-headed youths save for a single long lock, dressed in white and each with an ibis-finger hanging from a cord about their necks. With care, one rolls out a great snake-skin before the lamp on the floor...surely it must have belonged to some vast constrictor...and the other bears a small clay jar, which he upends on the mottled hide. A double handful of dark rubies spill out, gleaming like fresh-drawn blood.

"I am well aware of the practicalities of the world, and the reward for the work of heroes. For in my divinations I have seen that you shall face perils both mortal and sorcerous before Kasetshuset's dark dreams are ended. Take these gems as proof of my sincerity, gifts to the temple of Thoth. As for you, priests of Set..." he gestures again, and an acolyte leads forward a slave whose eyes have been sewn shut, an iron collar about his neck and manacles about arms and ankles, bound by iron chains to an iron-bound book as is favored in northern climes. "...not only will you dispose of a rival and heretic of your cult, but when you succeed I will give to you this priceless complete edition of the iron-bound Book of Skelos. Knowledge and power enough, for you I think."

"But such a reward is for hard labors, and you have much to do. Already Kasetshuset outfits his expedition, and even I do not know precisely the route to the lost temple. There is a map of all the secrets of Stygia, kept by Atem-Hut-Let, a lord of Kheshatta who is given more to debauchery than wizardry. My spies tell me that he has painted the map on the back of his most beautiful slave-girl, and tonight as he visits the flesh-pots of the city, and you must raid his seraglio and steal the map, and go to the eastern gate of the city, known as the Jackal's Gate. There the followers of Ibis shall meet you with such animals and supplies are necessary for your journey."

Exhausted by this long speech, Kathemes leans back in his throne. The sun was past noon when you entered this secret temple, and the blood-red gems shine bright...you will need to leave soon if you are to visit the markets before evening, or to stake out this Atem-Hut-Let's harem in the daylight.
I'd like to Sense motive on the old Priest of Ibis, +9
As far as you can tell, the ancient priest radiates nothing but sincerity.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kamoses' eyes widen, just a hint, and his lips curl up in bemused avaracion. Tempted as he was to snatch the book now, he knew well that it was more likely a feint, even if the old heretic's promises were genuine. He nodded his head to Neb, and then to the other assembled adventurers. "Well. This all suits my needs, I think. Are you all satisfied? Shall we be working together to hunt this old snake?"

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

"Thank you for affording this demonstration of your largess to impress firmly upon us the severity of the situation. I am humbly at your disposal."

(I don't particularly need anything from the market. Kheshatta is known for the relative availability and quality of its poisoners, so we could theoretically find some kind of paralytic for the guards if we wanted to avoid killing, or something to slip in Atem-Hut-Let's wine while I distract and encourage him to stay out partying later than usual, or even some smoke powder for a distraction during the raid. I'm cool with going straight to case the joint, though.)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

(I kind of figure we can away to some manner of public house and actually role play out the discussions)

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well, that's everything I need. Let's go, eh?"

[What is the current situation of law enforcement/guard response times in this city]
Ancient History
Serious Badass

[There is the city guard, made up mostly of thief-takers under the command of the judiciary; the gates to the city and the general protection of the populace are secured by that part of the King's army stationed in Kheshatta under the command of General Kamesh; the Prince Hamu-set and each of the major nobles and magician-lords maintain their own private corps of guards, some approaching actual soldiery, and then there are the temple guards of Set who watch over temple properties, and form an elite corps to support the army of Kheshatta in times of war. Who responds and how fast depends on what alarm is made and where - in the slums of the city murders may go unnoticed for days, while in the richer portions thieves who dare to steal from the sorcerer-lords may well never be heard from again...]
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Isandro folds his arms, "...Very well, there is some precedence for consorting with the sorcerers of Ibis for a greater cause. I will swear to you this task will be done if you can swear in turn that retrieving this book for you is a lesser evil than allowing it to be found by this upstart."

(For the record, Karlus would know from prior experience that Isandro usually has way less sticks up his ass, but this job is hells of shady, so it's probably apparent to everyone that he's a bit on edge. Plus, superstition. If given the choice between burning down orphanages for the insurance money and summoning demons, he'd volunteer to bring the matches.)
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Raising the bird-headed ivory wand to his heart, his lips, and his forehead, the aged priest swears upon his god and the seven parts of his soul he will protect the book, and hide it beyond the ken of men.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well, I've done weirder things than raid harems. I'm Karlus Rabbit-Hewer, Aquilonian by way of Cimmeria. I kill people."

[Karlus is a tall, dark-haired, blue-eyed man, powerfully built, wearing well-made work clothes that would not look uncommon on a successful tradesman. He carries a staff almost as tall as he is, with a wickedly curved blade attached. He slouches slightly, but his fingers drum the the hilt of his bardiche and his eyes flicker around constantly.]
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Isandro swears by his ancestors to perform the task then turns to the others, "I am not opposed to cooperating. We should likely commit this kidnapping on our own, but for the journey itself I would prefer to use this time to arrange for a few hired spears to meet us at the Jackal's Gates and accompany us to the temple itself if possible. As for the girl, she may not come willingly, so a sedative of some sort may be wise."

(Just how much are these gems roughly worth, anyway? Isandro can take 10 for a value of 12 on Appraise checks. His Gather Information check was a sad casualty of skill re-jiggering, but if someone could find and hire a couple redshirts to walk ahead of us in the Temple of Doom that'd be cool.)

(Oh, and as far as appearance goes, Isandro is a handsome dark-haired young man, clearly of Zingaran stock. He is fit and well-groomed--in modern terms, he has the build of a middle weight--and his outfit of hose, doublet and crimson dueling cape looks to be worth more than what a simple porter makes in a year even before you factor in his shirt of mail.)
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kamoses nods, "I am called Kamoses-at-Ankh, I am a physician and sorcerer. This girl may be open to being taken away. If there were an opportunity for my servant girls to talk with her, we may be able to get the map with little trouble. It is worth pursuing as a first option, at least. We can try drugging and violence if it fails."

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Isandro gives a curt bow. "My name is Isandro. Kindness is of course the ideal path, but slaves rarely choose a new lash over the one they know. Compared to Turan or my own country your slaves are treated rather well aside from virgin sacrifice, and somehow I suspect that is something she need not fear."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"It depends on his debaucheries."

Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

"I'm Velasco. I've dabbled in this and that, mainly the liberation of property. For now I think the important thing is I should be able to get us into the harem unseen, and locked doors shouldn't be a problem."

(Velasco borders on the thin, he has a wiry strength about him. He's young Zingaran with dark brown hair and a cleanly shaved face. His clothes and equipment seem mismatched, gathered in the course of many journeys from disparate lands.)
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well, it's settled, I suppose. Velasco can check out the security, Isandro and I can check out the local taverns to see if anyone knows anything, and Kamoses can try to get his girls in on the inside.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

"I am Nebemakhet the scribe. You may call me Neb, for expediency's sake. I am not blessed with the stealth that this abduction may require, but have every confidence I can convince the slave-girl to accompany us, assuming we just don't take the time to make a copy of her map."

Physically, Neb. is 5'7", dusky, and of medium build, wearing bulky white linen robes which largely conceal the occasional rustling movement beneath them. Strangely, given the Stygian heat and his wearing of far more clothing than is usual for his people Neb. shivers occasionally, as if he has a chill he cannot shake.

(Take 10=13 looks like our best Appraise check for the gems. If the hiring of some spearmen is something we want to do, and is a function of Gather Information, then I can go do that. If we decide we want to sell these gems and buy stuff/slave guards, and the total value is over ~1600 sp, then I definitely want to buy a dose of smoke powder.)