[IC]Shadow over Stygia

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Taotie gives a salute and curt bow to his fellows

(like this:)
Taotie has hair tho'
"Greetings, I'm Taotie, of Khitai" (pronounced 'tieh' and not like a men's neck'tie').

"I've done some sneak and grab work before. When I get my hands on my target, it is like an iron vise" he says with a smile, flexing his fingers.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

[There are 25 gems, which Nebemakhet judges to be rubies worth 150-250 silver pieces each.]
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

"Karlus seems to have it. I'll head over and get a sense for security and entrances. And someone can take the rubies and find some muscle to accompany on our journey. We can meet up before dusk and decide our next step once we know the security and whether we have Kamoses' girls on the inside. Agreed?"
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

"Gentlemen, I estimate the rubies we were given to have a rough worth of five thousand silver, but I admit freely to not having much of an eye for this. I propose we each take three rubies for ourselves, since we have no reason to trust each other yet. I hope that will change presently. The remaining seven rubies will be held briefly in trust by myself, Isandro, and Taotie, and converted to silver in the market. The gem merchants of Keshatta are sure to attempt to swindle non-Stygians, but they would shrink at doing so to a priest. Isandro and Taotie can then take these proceeds and set about hiring a stout handful of mercenaries, where the Zingaran's experience in the leading of men and what I suspect is the Khitani's keen eyes in judging their character would serve us well. There is much work for a strong sword arm in the city, and many flock here for that purpose, so it is not so much a matter of finding the willing as the winnowing away of the chaff.

While this is going on Velasco can begin discretely determining how we may make entrance to, and more importantly egress from the seraglio, should it come to that. Kamoses, accompanied by Karlus, can collect his retinue. I will meet them outside the harem, where we attempt to convince the posted guards that the noble brings a gift of sacred whores, fresh from training at Derketo's temple, to whet their master's appetites before his evening's debauch. Should we fail at this let us hope we don't have quick need of the Hyborian's bardiche.

If Kamoses' girls can get inside we have one of them give a prearranged signal to Velasco, secreted nearby, and reduce this abduction to an extraction. If not we sneak in and find the slave girl we seek. If we have more than a moment inside I can use some small sorceries to make her mind pliable, and if we don't then she goes over a soldier's shoulder, whereupon we beat a hasty retreat to the Jackal's Gate to meet our hired swords and Karanthes' associates, and flee into the desert.

Is there anything in this plan we should change, my new friends?"
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Sounds good to me."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Korgan0 wrote:"Well, it's settled, I suppose. Velasco can check out the security, Isandro and I can check out the local taverns to see if anyone knows anything, and Kamoses can try to get his girls in on the inside.
Velasco
Following the instructions provided by one Karanthes' acolytes, Velasco weaves his way through the city streets to the house of Atem-Hut-Let. The front of the house is fronted by a walled courtyard, with a ten-foot tall gate of wood painted green and bound with shining bronze set int he fifteen-foot wall, guarded always by two men with pikes and short batons that hang at their belts. The house proper is tall, with two stories, the uppermost of which has several small balconies, one of which a fat, shaven-headed eunuch sometimes peers out of, looking westward over the city. The back of the house is built into the forty-foot tall eastern wall of Kheshatta. On either side of the house of Atem-Hut-Let are the compounds of other lords, but between the walls of the different estates are narrow alleyways - less than two feet wide in places - between the walls.

In such an alleyway does Velasco bide his time, out of the sun, and times the changing of the guards - every two hours, or so it seems, which would suggest at least twelve to twenty-four guards within. An hour before sunset, the great gate is opened - Velasco catches sight of a palanquin carried by four sturdy bearers, and accompanied by four armed guards leave and head down the street; likely Atem-Hut-Let setting off for tonight's revelry... In the moments the gates are open, Velasco catches a glimpse of empty stables, with another palanquin and a chariot within.

The Jackal's Gate is one mile to the south of the House of Atem-Hut-Let.

Isandro, Nebemakhet and Taotie
Wending their way to the marketplace, discreet directions lead Zingaran, Stygian and Hyborian to a the jeweler's souk, and even more discreet directions to the stall of Amash-Tan, who has some minor affiliation with the Temple of Set and is rumored to be a dealer in stolen goods. After a few minutes of customary haggling, he agrees to pay five thousand silver for the gems - in gold coins and trade bars, for convenience, and under the watchful eyes of his two massive bodyguards.

Splitting off, Isandro and Taotie seek out a small troop of mercenaries in one of the less reputable taverns - Kushite spearmen, dressed in zebra-skins and drinking the thick Stygian ale from bowls, served by bare-breasted women who look like they could break the southerners in half, and gambling with knuckle-bones. The leader of this group is Ajula - his men had recently been in the employ of one of the magician-lords, but had been released from service, and are glad to entertain the prospect of further employment. Ajula commands fifteen men plus mounts, and demands one thousand silver pieces for a sennight's service - half in advance.

Kamoses and Kalus
In the courtyard of Karanthes' hidden temple, the Stygian and Hyborian primp and prepare the slaves. The women seem to quickly grasp Kamose' instructions, and with the aid of Karanthes' servants wash themselves and their clothes, scenting their hair with jasmine and rose-water and painting their faces and rouging their bosoms. As the evening-hour draws near, a servant brings food and drink, and points the way to the garderobe as they await the return of Velasco the Zingaran.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

(Is it cool if on the way back to Karanthes' courtyard I use part of my cut to buy a dose of smoke powder (Secrets of Skelos, p.90, 250sp) in the souq?)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

[Knock yourself out.]
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Well, I suppose I should at least prepare. Does anyone have a large non-descript hooded robe I could borrow? Wait, this is a priest's temple, of course you do."

Karlus will prepare himself for battle, and once fully armed and armoured will wear the robe over the entire ensemble.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Isandro jests "So, you fought for magicians and charge like Nemedians? You're either brave or brazen, I'll give you that."

(As long as we're not getting ambivalent/hostile vibes from these guys Isandro is willing to pay 1k for these guys given that they can supply their own mounts. That's not far off at all from the sort of going rates you get for a proper footmen in the books and few questions and short notice easily makes up for the difference.)
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

(Once Velasco is back he'll wait until everyone returns and then relay everything he observed.)
"Regardless of whether we can Kamoses girls in I think one or two of us should break into the compound. Entry is easy, there are narrow alleys that will get us along the walls undetected and I have the rope and grappling hook to get us over. As for exit we've got two clear options, either back over the wall or we find some servant's outfits and walk out the front gate carrying the second palanquin. If Taotie has experience in these sorts of jobs the two of us would be a good team to go in. Under the cover of night we might be able to get Neb in with us to get this girl out willingly. If she's unwilling our exit will be harder."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Isandro and Taotie
Ajula accepts the gold, and goes about rousing his men. He swears by Damballah that he and his men will be outside the Jackal's gate in three hours time, mounted and ready to leave. Isandro and Taotie leave the tavern to the sound of Ajula booming commands.

At the Secret Temple of Ibis
In ones and twos the members of your group slip back, relaying the success of their missions. The first stars of evening begin to show in the sky as the sun slips to the horizon; by now Atem-Hut-Let has been gone from his house for at least an hour.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"One thought occurs to me-- the map is painted on the slavegirl's back. We should be careful to not allow it to be ruined through our own handling, or through a splash of wine from her master if he feels that's the only way he can foil our goal. It may well be actually tattooed, but we cannot know until we see."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

"Aye, we should have you or our scribe friend copy it once we are upon the road in any case."
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Nebemakhet returns to the hidden temple alone, and addresses his companions once they all arrive.

"Karlus, the robe suits you. Tell me what I have misunderstood about the plan: Taotie and Velasco steal up the northern wall while the rest approach from the front. If the thieves get noticed first then we may well be assumed to be in cahoots with them, and put the whole compound on alert. If we at the gate incite an armed response we'll kill the guards posted there and flee to the south, hopefully drawing attention away from those inside If the girls get inside, we'll see about securing our entry as well, ostensibly to officially present the prince's gift upon his return. If we fail at that we make our way discretely to the alley break-in point to see what the reconnoitering has turned up.

(Or whichever alley people want to approach from, sorry for the mixup)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

(Note: the eastern wall is the front of the House, the western wall is the back of the house and part of the city walls; the alleys are located to the north and south.)
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

"Just tell me who to kill."

[I forgot to mention that Karlus wrapped up the blade of his bardiche in whatever cloth he could find, so it looks like one of those bags on the end of a stick that travellers carry.]
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

"Neb makes a good point, we should scale the wall once we know if the girls have access or not. If only the girls get in we'll need to follow in order to get them and our map out. But if some of us get in with the girls then it should be easier to get the map. The exit still poses a problem though. I suppose if you can talk your way in you could talk your way out. Worst case an exit over the wall shouldn't be hard."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

In the dark of early evening... as the sky turns sable but before the moon has risen, your party approaches the great bronze-bound gate of the house of Atem-Hut-Let. Four torches set in the outside walls light the street in front of the house, and two guards stand outside the door, gripping their polearms a bit more tightly as the group of warriors, servants, and half-naked slave-girls approaches them, the two Stygians in the lead, with the cowled Hyborian a few steps behind them.

Unseen, the Zingarans and Khitan slip into the southern alley of the house, their movement hidden by the party's passing. It is a tight squeeze, less than two feet wide in places, and the walls on either side are twenty feet high.

{Assuming I have everyone's actions right, please feel free to amend in your own posts.}
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

(You guys want Isandro on team sneaky or team distraction? He's only operating at a +2 to stealth and climb if he leaves his shield and chain on his horse, but he's actually still rather competent in a scrap that way if things do go south. I could see advantages either way, especially if since he's talky enough that he might be able to help the slave girls sweet talk her.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

((Yeah, I think you're our best bet. Next would be Neb. I'm not sure what your extra +4 is for [Neb's list of everyone's bonuses has you as "9 (13)." I'll just play the role of the Noble, letting my "valets" speak to the guards))

Ancient History
Serious Badass

"You there!" one of the guards says loudly in Stygian. "State your business or begone!"
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Prak_Anima wrote:((Yeah, I think you're our best bet. Next would be Neb. I'm not sure what your extra +4 is for [Neb's list of everyone's bonuses has you as "9 (13)." I'll just play the role of the Noble, letting my "valets" speak to the guards))

(So, does that mean sneak or speak? The +4 is a combination of reputation and a bonus to feint checks stemming from a duellist's cape that comes into play when he isn't using his shield.)
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

(I vote Isandro goes with the girls, since he can only be helpful there, but could possibly hinder the people going over the wall. I'm working up a Bluff post now, and figure we'll both talk.)
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

"My good men, I hope the evening finds you well. I represent Lord Hapuseneb of Karnath" Nebemakhet begins, gesturing deferentially at Kamoses, who stands close to a carried torch such that his royal pale complexion is clearly discernible to the guards, "whom has bade me make a most generous gift on his behalf to your master." My lord's agents have been exceptionally successful this season in their culling of the best prospects from the Styx's floating temples of Derketo and have, quite honestly, brought more skilled purveyors of pleasure than he would wish to make accommodation for. Would that we all had such problems."

"It is well known that the reputation of Lord Atem-Hut-Let as someone with both a keen eye and hearty appetite for the pleasures of this world is richly deserved. My master would have me seek entrance, so that your employer might have right of first selection of the courtesans. Look upon their beauty."

Neb. takes one of the girls and starts walking closer to one of the guards, apparently so that the servant girl can caress the guard while writhing before him.

"Does she not do the Sable Queen proud?"

(If the guard lets them approach Neb. will make continued reference to specifics of the girls' temple training as part of a Perform (ritual) (DC 15) check to possibly use a Derketo's 3rd Mystery touch via jovially clapping the guard on the back. If successful this would sensitize the guard to the girl's touch, and really sell that these women are special.)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.