[Conan/Call of Cthulhu d20]Shadow over Stygia Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Ancient History wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:Taotie will talk to Karanthes on how he lost against the beast women (not even able to land a blow on that damn priest) and how he can overcome them in the upcoming battle, and the nature of the spell on his warfist.
"His lemans are deadly monsters; the lamia may be banished, but for the other there is little that cannot be done with cold steel."
Taotie asks about what it'd take to banish the lamia.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"I may have strength enough to vanquish the demoness," Karanthes says, "if that is what you will my part to be in this. Failing that, the half of the book you bear contains a potent - though costly - rite of banishment." (If Taotieh chooses to go the latter route, he can learn the Banishment of Yde Etad.)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Korgan0? Anybody else got a wish-list for Karanthes?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Does anyone want to finish out the game, or is there general lack of interest? I could just write a game-ending summary.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I was very much hoping to play it out. This is my first PbP, and so would like to see it through.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm game, but we're at the part of the game where getting players to post is like pulling teeth. :D
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm up for it
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I just haven't said anything because I don't really have many ideas and was unclear how many mooks the party was ginning up through sorcery.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay. Well, you've got fifteen corpses and 13 virgins to deal with, plus all the requested alchemicals/poisons. Also, Karanthes has arranged for masterwork versions of your current weapons made from Akbitanian steel. On the magic side, he got Neb the staff he wanted and for everyone else an Elder Sign on a bit of string.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

So, when you guys are ready, post on where you (and/or your skeletons/werecrocodiles) want to be for the ambush.

KorganO, if you don't respond I'm making Karlus a Mister Cavern character. Some talking to rocks might happen.
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

Are we just thinking of mobbing them when they make it to the bottom of the steps? Because honestly I can't think of a better plan and Velasco is almost immune to AoO at this point so I can run through combat no problem.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

The numbers I posted earlier wouldn't necessarily change (Edit:if the slaves are native Stygians, the Will DC for the Corruption save each hour would be d20+6, with a -2 racial penalty). Having the future-were creatures be virgins adds maybe 1PP/ea, since I had started with "ordinary people" moved up 1 row for having sacrifice feats. With the increased number of victims, and assuming the corpses are raised permanently with the Create Greater Undead spell to get around duration issues, if ritual prep. starts 4 or 5 hours before Kat. arrives both sorcerers would be at maximum with tons of points to spare.

As far as placement, since it's a 2 person stairway, how about Isandro holds the first line, Velasco weaves in and out, Taotie stands just behind ready to jump over the line and choke slam people off the stairwell, Karlus holds the second line at the base of the stairs/murders whoever Taotie is currently throttling, and the skeletons/werewhatever form a throng in the pillared hall?
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was thinking about offering the were-crocodile concubines as a gift. Katsetsushet won't take it from Kam or the rest of the group, but perhaps if Nekka brings them, and we have her tell a story about a gift of slaves from some lord to garner favour. Perhaps a story about some minor lord who is just coming into his own and heard the great of his great power. Whether Katsetshuset partakes or not, the women can at least soften the many guards we can expect, if not kill them outright (the giant croc. hit die should be a great help).

After that, hmm... actually.... does anyone in the group have a good disguise check? Conceivably, the concubines could carry the skeletons in with them, and Kamoses could go in disguised, so that he can give a signal and command the skeletons. It would be handy to at least get forces inside so we can attack on two fronts at once.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Anybody else want to ping Korgan0?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Slaves are native Stygians. Karanthes seems rather listless and his spirits low, and resigns himself to your plans, whatever they may be, and whatever position you have for him.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

As far as Karanthes, the suggestion of him dealing with the lamia (who with her fascinate ability might not be stunned with a War of Souls) is probably the best.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay, we're going to start the final part of the game on Monday - if anybody wants to do any last-minute strategizing, trap-crafting, or anything like that, now's the time. Unless Korgan0 gets in touch, I'm going to assume he's forgotten or lost interest in the game; anybody feel free to ping him, he hasn't responded to my last coupel PMs.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

C'mon, players. Bad guys literally on your doorstep.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Isandro, Velasco, Taotie, are you all hanging back and letting the girls and skeletons do the fighting for a bit?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, Isandro will only take up blocking duties after the numbers have been thinned out a fair chunk.
bears fall, everyone dies
Kurama314
Journeyman

Post by Kurama314 »

Velasco will do the same.
Although for clarification what order are they coming down the stairs in? Is it lamia, Katsetshutset, warriors? Or lamia, warriors, Katsetshuset?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Lamia is leading the way down the stairs, some warriors right behind her, Katsushet and his other woman are not headed down the stairwell yet.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay, you're down to nine crocodile-women and 15 undead; Karanthes is down, as is the Lamia, with no sign of Katsetshut's other leman. Katsetshutset is at the top of the stairwell, with about 10-12 soldiers between him and the bottom of the stairs.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Going down to Florida for the weekend. Also, Kamoses and Velasco you're down to two arrows each.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm back. Players?