How would you design an RPG to be POPULAR and MAKE $$$

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

How would you design an RPG to be POPULAR and MAKE $$$

Post by OgreBattle »

We all have our personal preferences of the perfect RPG, but what if our goal is to reach the broadest audience possible and get as much out of their wallet as you can?

Say you have WotC funding.

-What rules set would appeal to the greatest audience?
-What distribution methods would make the most $?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Are we restricted to pen and paper, tabletop RPGs? And can we count money from stuff like licensing fees, or are we just looking at sales of books/miniatures/whathaveyou?
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Assuming TTRPGs only. You keep it simple. Think the ghost buster's RPG, or Amber Diceless, or maybe M&M (which is just a streamlined D20 system. Preferably finding a way to make it easy to learn but deeper than Amber Diceless or the ghost buster's game.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Go back in time and convince Peter Jackson to do a D&D movie rather than a LotR one, and then invest $300 million in it. That might make you a billion dollars, which would be better than anything D&D ever made.

Ignoring that, this is the age of micro-transactions for networked digital hardware. So you build a digital tabletop and sell people micro-world sets of monsters and treasure to adventure online with (with actual dollars to get resurrected or speed healing/spell recovery or controllable NPCs), using whatever slow-and-steady advancement system and communal world-building options you can steal from successful games.

Having a live DM handle the AI and modify terrain on-the-fly is your selling point, but I have no idea how you incentivise DMs without ruining the game for everyone else. Rules barely matter online, because you can hotfix them and let the computer do all the work. Monster and treasure placement is computer so DMs can't play favourite.

You can have a taxed marketplace for trading artifacts. So if I'm lucky enough to find one I get points and someone else spends more points and the business generally takes real money in the middle by diluting the remaining points in the world and requiring more real money to bring them back.

For a wide audience it runs on everything, ipods, smartphones, playstation, flash/HTML5, and everything, including shit like special prices for people buying golden healing apples at the apple shop.

If you like, you can even licence out the right to make a tabletop RPG loosely based on the rules, for pocket change.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

tussock wrote:
For a wide audience it runs on everything, ipods, smartphones, playstation, flash/HTML5, and everything, including shit like special prices for people buying golden healing apples at the apple shop.

If you like, you can even licence out the right to make a tabletop RPG loosely based on the rules, for pocket change.
The first game company to release a solid 1st party Virtual Tabletop/Character Builder/Character Visualizer(with cash shop full of extra cosmetic options) app for smartphones and tablets (and have the sense to advertise it worth a shit) will more or less win TTRPGs for the foreseeable future.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I have no idea how to make a pile of money into a big pile of money in RPGs.

However anyone with half a rep, the ability to overpromise and the bare minimum of video production ability can probably put together a crowdfunding pitch that rakes in just enough money to beat working extra shifts at Wal-Donalds.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
deaddmwalking
Prince

Re: How would you design an RPG to be POPULAR and MAKE $$$

Post by deaddmwalking »

OgreBattle wrote:We all have our personal preferences of the perfect RPG, but what if our goal is to reach the broadest audience possible and get as much out of their wallet as you can?

I'd say if you can get titties into it but still seem respectful of women you'll appeal to everyone.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The best distribution model, currently, has been Paizo.

Headhunt almost everyone famous for past ttrpgs and pull them into your fantasy heartbreaker. Slowly make it a kitchen sink through supplements.

Look at what is the most popular system at the moment, hire a good marketing team and have them work the fanboys to accept the changes you make so that they seem to fix the system.

So be Paizo on a larger scale.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

sake wrote:The first game company to release a solid 1st party Virtual Tabletop/Character Builder/Character Visualizer(with cash shop full of extra cosmetic options) app for smartphones and tablets (and have the sense to advertise it worth a shit) will more or less win TTRPGs for the foreseeable future.
This is my vote. The future of the hobby is in digital tools and support.
PSY DUCK?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

OgreBattle wrote:We all have our personal preferences of the perfect RPG, but what if our goal is to reach the broadest audience possible and get as much out of their wallet as you can?

Assuming I don't care about artistic integrity or game design at all and I just want something that has good production values that idiots choke down?

I would make PATHFINDER.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Re-release HeroQuest. the real one, not the shit that stole its name, but the board game by MB+GW.

clean up the rules and simplify it a bit to make it work quicker. give better adventure/campaign design instructions and inflate the hell out of the monster list. add 2 more playing boards for : outdoors and city/town.

HeroQuest, like RPGs are basically just action/adventure games with a setting thrown in.

of course sell packs of monsters like little green army men or ZOMBIES!!! packs of zombies so people can buy enough of them that they want.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

I am extremely interested in the possibilities available due to 3D printing technology, and the implications for table-top games and RPGs. The price of this technology is falling rapidly, and will continue to fall. I think it would be fun to have your own machine that can print custom character models, downloaded monster packs, scenery, buildings, etc. Designs can be sold on a micro-transaction basis, like $1 for the Beholder Pack, or $2 for the Castle of Doom Pack. Of course people could just torrent all their custom creations and pirated official content, spreading the love. First-party content providers could even offer their own proprietary printer units customized to be most efficient and user-friendly for a specific purpose. They could have more control over content distribution unless one hacks or "jailbreaks" the unit.

Otherwise...
Josh Kablack wrote:However anyone with half a rep, the ability to overpromise and the bare minimum of video production ability can probably put together a crowdfunding pitch that rakes in just enough money to beat working extra shifts at Wal-Donalds.
This is really key. And I mean specifically the part about "half a rep." The crowdfunding thing is just one variation of raising capital.

A person needs to build their rep. But to do that, you actually need to PRODUCE. You can't just fap to yourself as you talk abstract theorycraft on a message board. You need to have output. And you need to put it out there so people can actually see it. You need to establish some credibility and people need to see you as an expert to some degree.

Things don't need to be perfect. Some output that kinda sucks is actually better than the perfect output that never gets made, because you can make improvements to your bad output.

If you demonstrate to people that you can produce what they want, then you can sell a game that is popular and makes a profit. I would even invest in it.

The market is actually out there. There is money to be made. But there is no magic solution. It takes work and production, not just message board circle jerks.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I think if any of us knew how to make money at RPGs, none of us would have shitty day-jobs. But here's one thing I can throw onto the pile: Take your ruleset and playtest the fuck out of it. Actually listen to your playtesters and change things based on their output. This won't give you a perfect game, such are the things of myths and legends, but it will improve your game exponentially.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I disagree. Most playtesters are people who don't know what the fuck they are doing but think they do.
You should definitely look through their comments and issues. But you shouldn't necessarily change anything.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Make an iOS cRPG with networking like Words With Friends crossed with the TTRPG experience and make it as simple and addictive as possible. Maybe throw in some giant titties.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Loren Coleman style, embezzle money out of the company and stiff contract writers while talking loudly about how you are revolutionizing your company's old product, based on major fan complaints about the old game.

You get scandal attention AND "new edition" attention, and could probably extract enough money to build a fancy new house, maybe.