Dominions 4 Teasers

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Interesting. I did some tests and it seems that spellcasters won't even try to cast Panic on a pretender. They must be immune to Fear and fear checks.

Panic from a Skull Standard (often called a pan staff because it casts Panic and has a pan skull on the head) is still effective on other SCs.

That leaves Pretender-killing SC stuff to things like fatiguing them out with spells like Numbness from an Ice Pebble Staff or Stellar Cascades.

I'd also probably consider using Eyecatchers. AN damage and taking eyes is no joke.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

In two other Dom4 games in the past I lost my pretenders to Magic Duel, including a S6 one against a couple S1 ones.

Feels good to be in the other end for a change.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The first casting!?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Yes and from a S2 celestial master. Got really lucky in that engagement.
K
King

Post by K »

Congrats!

A little off-topic, but I feel really good when I see people with decent Dominions mastery. It's a fucking hard game to master.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I'll have to bow out of the game I've been speaking above due to the fact my work time will greatly increase in September. Anyone here would be interested in being a substitute for me? Try out F9/E4 T'ien C'hi with Berytos cap in your hand+four thrones (only 3 captured right now though), Conj 7/Alt7/Evo7/Con6/Ench5/Thau 5 researched, and at war with Xibalba and Atlantis (neither of which have captured another cap site as far as I'm aware). I found a sorceror of the sands site, plus a gnome mage site, two magus temples and a crystal amazon province to back up my lackluster non-cap national mages. Also I had Eyes of God up at once so you can have an idea of everybody's else's early/mid game.

Oh, and new patch out, with a popkill EA nation that starts underwater but has most recruits on land, plus spectral spawn. Have anphibious sacreds costing 22 resources so people have no idea what you're supposed to do about scales for them.
Last edited by maglag on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Looking at the changelogs, I notice that apparently Pelagia has more recruits now. Are they any good?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Pelagia can get a pretty nice discount on Capricorns in coastal provinces. Don't know about the soldiers, I was more interested in all atlanteans getting a 5 gold price cut. Including angakoks, who were already pretty nice.
K
King

Post by K »

I just captured an A7 faux-tender in an MP game. I feel like this should be a strategy to plan for with your nation build.
Last edited by K on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:I just captured an A7 faux-tender n in MP game. I feel like this should be a strategy to plan for with your nation build.
Well, whatever you were doing, now you're going to be researching Alteration.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Charm? Enslave+Gift of Reason? Seduction?
K
King

Post by K »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Charm? Enslave+Gift of Reason? Seduction?
Hellbind Heart.

It's weird because Air was the one hole in my suite. This means that I can now cast all the huge Air spells, something I had not planned for.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

What's Faux-tender? Someone empowered something?
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Level 3 Thrones are guarded by AI versions of the Pretender Gods that come with high magic paths and lots of gems. Something players noticed a while back is that you can get control of these through various means. It's not easy, however if you can pull it off you can gain a powerful caster that might even open up a new path of magic for you.

Because you don't know what defenders the Thrones will have until the game starts I don't know that you can really plan around it, but if you know there will be level 3 Thrones it might be worth thinking about. The main danger i can see is it requires leaving the Throne unclaimed until you have the right spell researched, which might open it up to an attack by another player before you are ready.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Also, most of those are MR-negates, and the throne guardians tend to have a fair bit, so you'll want anti-MR gear and multiple casters.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Sometimes they slum it and guard a level 2 Throne as well.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Oh, huh, that's clever. I remember fighting some of those guys, but I figured they were immune to charm/hellbind heart by virtue of being pretenders.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I'm loving the flavour of the Therodos nation added in the latest patch:
Dominions wrote:[Kouretes] formed a nobility of artists and performers unique to the Therodian culture. Their divine dances brought joy and stability to the land and became a means to rule. Human interpreters followed their processions and artistic works and human servants provided for them. With the fall of ancient Therodos most of them perished, but those that survived still linger on the sacred island of Telkhinis where they still perform the sacred dances to the sound of their sisters' cymbals. In times of war the cymbals and the flutes change the rhythm and the Kouretes dance with furious rage.
Dance Battle, bitches!

Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
K
King

Post by K »

With the new patch, EA Ry'leh just got interesting. They have Recruit-on-land mind blasters and mages with a max age of 5 (!) and a ritual that will set one of these mages Astral to the Astral of the casting Aboleth.

Pretty neat overall.

On a related note, anyone interested in a game?
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

K wrote:With the new patch, EA Ry'leh just got interesting. They have Recruit-on-land mind blasters and mages with a max age of 5 (!) and a ritual that will set one of these mages Astral to the Astral of the casting Aboleth.

Pretty neat overall.

On a related note, anyone interested in a game?
Also, all slaves have had their upkeep halved, which affects the majority of EA R'lyeh's recruitable troops.

That said, they still have little real ability to crawl up out of the water on to land, let alone hold that land against actually competent opposition. R'lyeh isn't good yet, but they did get some buffs and some cool new toys.

Sadly my time for gaming is overbooked as it is, so I can't join you this time, K. Good luck, though.
Last edited by Shatner on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

So Desura (the site that has been the main forum for Dominions 4 since release) finally gave up the ghost on Friday and went offline. This has been coming for about a year since the company that ran it went bankrupt, but it was still something of a shock.

That leaves the Steam forum and dom3mods as the remaining Dominions-focused forums. The devs seem to have settled on the Steam forums as the official ones, likely due to the volume of sales through Steam, but personally I find them horrible to use. Unless I'm logging in through steam it constantly bugs me with codes sent to my email address and they are lacking a lot of basic functionality.

I've tried to raise the idea of Illwinter getting their own forum but the general consensus seems to be that the devs don't want the hassle of running an official forum themselves. As they already have their own moderators I don't really see that it would be much different to running the Steam forums myself.

I'm interested to see how this affects the Dominions community - there was a solid presence of veteran players at Desura that didn't really seem to be the case at Steam. I wonder if they will transfer over or if dom3mods will see an increase in activity.
Last edited by Red_Rob on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Yeah, Desura may have been visibly circling the drain for almost a year, but that forum had that "comfortable old shoe" fit to it that makes me sad having to go elsewhere.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'm just annoyed at all the guides that have vanished. Is there a solid Dom4Wiki yet?
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

There is a complete backup of the Desura Dom4 forum located here. In the appropriate Steam forum discussion they mentioned that a backup was made of the Desura site every day, so it should have all of the strategy guides there from before Desura went down. A benefit, I guess, of Desura's eminent fall being so thoroughly telegraphed.
Last edited by Shatner on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Cool. Also, I bought the game through Desura...I'd better never lose this laptop, eh?