Card Hunter

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Card Hunter

Post by DragonChild »

Card Hunter is a game in beta that you can sign up for here: http://www.cardhunter.com/

It's a D&D inspired game, with singleplayer and multiplayer. In the singleplayer you get three adventurers from three different classes (Warrior, Wizard, Cleric) and races (Human, Elf, Dwarf) and go through multi-fight "modules" in a turn based system. It's presented that you're playing a D&D game in the basement of Gary, a socially awkward newbie GM who has his older brother looking over his shoulder and making quips about how he's GMing wrong. It's pretty cute. Multiplayer is a "Compose a team of 3 characters, fight against another 3 characters".

The interesting thing is how combat is done. There's a basic grid with terrain, and every character has a deck. Your deck is determnied by equipment - each item you equip gives you different cards. Equipping an axe on your warrior will give you AOE chops, while equipping a hammer gives you high damage single target bashes, or a spear gives you lunges with movement and reach. Each player takes turns playing one card at a time, until both players pass. Then every character has to discard down to two cards, and then you draw two more from your deck, and get one movement card based on your race (you can't move without move cards).

It's a free to play game in beta with an iffy monetization scheme - any sort of competitive multiplayer f2p game is going to have that, of course - but the single player is pretty solid and fun.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Are there any gameplay samples?
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

RPS just put up a review and some videos: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... preview-3/
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I have three beta test codes to this, if anyone is interested.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm down.
bears fall, everyone dies
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Pls can has.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Sent and sent. I have one code left.

Let me know what you two think. I really love the game, but haven't been playing much - got blocked really late game by a bunch of pain in the ass uber monkeys and a giant enemy crab man, and I'm sorta just chilling on it until the beta is over and all the progress is reset.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I'd like to try it out DragonChild.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

I've also got 3, if anyone still wanted one.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

My keys are all out. I'll leave it up to Tarkis to pass out the rest.
K
King

Post by K »

I'll take one.
K
King

Post by K »

Mmmm, this is a fun little game.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Given the competition it's up against I'm willing to at least giving it props for being better than it had to be.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

It's a reasonably solid way to spend an hour, but I didn't really get into it. Got to level 6 or so, moved on to other things.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's too bad that the history of past freemium models has me caught halfway between being afraid the game never gets harder and being afraid that there'll be a ricockulous gear check at some point.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

The single player gets very hard, very fast. I don't think spending money is going to get you anywhere, though. If anything, the randomized chests you can buy with cash are totally worthless. If you want to spend money to get more power, buying the premade multiplayer teams seems the best bet. Otherwise, build up some cash and keep a close eye on the shop, knowing specifically what you want to buy ("A weapon that gives me AOE attacks", for instance). Keep in mind if a weapon is too expensive, if you level up more, its price will drop - weapon prices are based on your party level.

To deal with the difficulty, you basically are going to have to get up a list of equipment and swap gear around every single adventure. Troglodytes need to be beaten with piercing attacks and armor discard cards, imps need to be beaten with long range attacks and movement attacks, etc. I managed to get VERY deep into the game with no money spent, just by doing some multiplayer matches once a day for a few free gold chests, and going back and doing old missions a little bit if I found myself low on experience.

If anything, buying the adventure pack seems to be the best way to power up, plus, you get more adventures!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If there are still codes available, I'm curious.

-Username17
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

FrankTrollman wrote:If there are still codes available, I'm curious.

-Username17
There are, and one has been sent.

Only one left now, though I could probably get a few more if there was interest.

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'm curious as well, Tarkis.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Sent Ikeren, and I'm out of keys now. I might be able to find a few from friends who aren't using them though, if anyone else is interested.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

How does one even get a power token? I have stuff that can only be used with power tokens, but I don't seem to have any power tokens or any obvious ways to get any.

-Username17
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

I'm pretty sure you get those with levels Frank.

DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Power tokens are given out at certain levels, and are more "allotted" than used it. It's a "You can only have two items equipped with silver power tokens at one time" type thing.

The exact levels you get power tokens are here: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Power_Tokens

Your first comes online at level 7.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

This is pretty fun, actually. I'm just doing single player stuff right now, but it's suprisingly well done.
K
King

Post by K »

DragonChild wrote:Power tokens are given out at certain levels, and are more "allotted" than used it. It's a "You can only have two items equipped with silver power tokens at one time" type thing.

The exact levels you get power tokens are here: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Power_Tokens

Your first comes online at level 7.
The Power Tokens are annoying. My warrior seems to never have enough and my wizard is sitting on three unused ones.