Unexpected Ultra-Violence in Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Shrapnel wrote:Super Metroid. The Crocomire.

Not only was that gruesome and unexpected, it was terrifying as hell.
Or the homage in New Super Mario Brothers DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2QfKpWaVR4

(skip to 3:50).

Yeah, most of the kids playing this probably wouldn't get the reference...
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Akiosama
NPC

Post by Akiosama »

Xenosaga 1 had one scene that was pretty vicious that was actually cut from the American release. It wasn't until I was re-playing it in Japanese that I saw the scene and it caught me off guard and gave me the shivers.

Wikipedia wrote:Episode I dealt with the censorship of several cutscenes in the North American release of the game, a majority of which take place during a confrontation between the game's main villain and another character. This was done presumably to avoid any possibilities of the title receiving an ESRB M rating. A scene involving an arm being snapped was softened for the North American version. In another scene of noticeable censorship, a character draws out a knife, which he uses to cut off his arm and head. For Western release he simply rips off his limbs without the use of a knife. A scene where a character draws out information by "reaching inside" another character was also altered; instead, he simply puts his hand over her face in the North American version.
It felt like a pretty significant edit, since it really made the main villain (Albeido) seem much more vile and crazy than the American version. Or at least, emphasized how much of a toy the clones he was torturing were to him - the arm breaking in the scene above was a 'just because he could' move, for example.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama
Last edited by Akiosama on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Akiosama wrote:Xenosaga 1 had one scene that was pretty vicious that was actually cut from the American release. It wasn't until I was re-playing it in Japanese that I saw the scene and it caught me off guard and gave me the shivers.

It felt like a pretty significant edit, since it really made the main villain (Albeido) seem much more vile and crazy than the American version. Or at least, emphasized how much of a toy the clones he was torturing were to him - the arm breaking in the scene above was a 'just because he could' move, for example.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama
For those who want to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9aNMNh0sHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtG_7bhyM4
Last edited by Leress on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, holy crap. Firmly PG-rated game with purely cartoon violence... then you get to a warehouse full of (thankfully sepia-toned out) dinosaur corpses. But then you see an end-level boss graphically mutilating a dinosaur with a cleaver.

Also, Tecmo Knight. Sounds like a cute game and even looks like it at first, but you graphically mutilate enemy sprites and the intro shows a guy getting his arm torn off and someone chomping right into his head.

Also, whose fucking idea was it to put Mortal Kombat-style fatalities in Samurai Shodown?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Not exactly ultra-violence, but quite a shock anyway. SWAT4.

You spend missions after missions throwing flashbangs, asking people to surrender, shooting them when they try to shoot (or in my case, shooting them first with beanbags rounds/taser and then asking them to surrender) and handcuffing everyone. It's a SWAT simulator, no place for story or drama.

Then you've got one of the most difficult mission in a bank with well-trained, heavily armed and armored enemies. And then you get a far easier mission with a crazy sect that's about to commit mass suicide. There are more bad guys but they're not as well trained and they've got no protection. And then
You enter the cave of the building, and find the graves of the children they "sent to heaven" first.
Totally unexpected, and quite shocking.