Bloons Tower Defence 5 Deluxe: Game of Every Year

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Bloons Tower Defence 5 Deluxe: Game of Every Year

Post by Koumei »

So I like Flash games and other "time wasters" more than AAA big production games, that's no secret. Now a big part of that is the investment: I don't want to pay $60-100 for something that I may or may not enjoy, then only get an hour or so in because it's not that good. Flash games let you just play for as long as you care, no expenditure, then for many of them, you can donate money optionally if you like it - or buy some premium content or whatever.

I can't actually say how many hours of fun I've had with BTD5. Actually, given a given game doesn't last that long, probably not that many hours. But loads of games of it. Well, the Deluxe version is out, currently going for all of fifteen dollars. Here are some features:
[*]You download it, authorise the serial, and then it's there, yours, on your PC, no connection needed.
[*]Something like 12 extra maps, most of which actually have cool new features like moving parts.
[*]Two awesome new towers
[*]Several new Special Agents
[*]A collection of a hundred odd "Random Challenges" (like the Mission of the Day), and they're looking into a way to offer downloadable updates for more of these without having to redownload the whole game
[*]A few more of the Special Missions
[*]It's a separate program/process, so you don't end up with Firefox leaking billions of Mb, freezing and crashing. And if Firefox does that anyway, it doesn't affect your game.
[*]Multiple accounts on the one PC, and you can install it on more than one PC (but with limits - I think it's 2-3 registrations per serial as a maximum).
[*]Anything you'd pay real money for before (permanent upgrades) is now something you can just buy with in-game currency.

It doesn't have the two-player mode (watch me care) and it isn't linked to your Ninjakiwi profile so you can't show off your stats or whatever (watch anyone care). Also you can't just shove more money in for more in-game currency, but seriously, you don't need to. That's not really a negative.

Anyway, I recommend it thoroughly.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ess is currently addicted to Bloons: TD5 The Android Version. He has a notecard laminated to the back of his Kindle Fire so that he can remember what does what so he doesn't die.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Yeah. 17 MOAB Assassins and a nice clean 82 Monkey Pirates. You know what that means!

If you havin' balloon problems, I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems, but a blimp ain't one -- hit me!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I think the bloonchipper (premium) might be my favourite ever. The fact that it synergises so well with my other favourites (Wizard and Spike Factory) is even better: it sucks a series of bloons in, they get shredded on spike piles on the way in, they get several layers removed, they then fly out the back (over more spikes), getting nicely in reach for the Wizard to ping them (and then more because chain lightning), before going back to where they were pre-suction.

And then it happens again.

The Engineer is pretty decent with his nailgun turrets and all, but I can rarely be bothered activating his Tier 4 ability (as you also have to designate a target tower, taking your focus away from other activations, buying crap, farming bananas and aiming miniguns). If you take the other path instead, then his soap bubbles are good for removing camo, but I plonk a Widened Monkey Village in the middle of basically every map and buy the Camo Detection upgrade. If it weren't for that, they'd be awesome, so it's just a matter of which investment you choose (also available: mortar flares for that, meercat spies).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Ah, see, I don't have the Bloonchipper. :( The Android version just never got that tower.

The Engineer, however, is absolutely the #1 best thing in the world for starting your economy. With the Engineer specialty building maximized, a single 1/0 Engineer can hold the fort all the way to the first Camo Bloon in Round 24. By then, I've built 2x 2/0 Banana Plantations and a 1/2 Helicopter to take out the Camo bloon.

(ProTip: If you build a Banana Farm right toward the end of the round, sit and wait for a while -- it'll actually spit out two Bananas if you chill for 30 seconds.)

Then you get the Helicopter up to 2/2 for Pursuit, and between the 1/0 Engineer and the 2/2 Helicopter, you can sit back and build your economy up, which means a 0/0 Monkey Village to reduce the cost of upgrading the Banana Farms, and then making one a 3/0 Banana Republic and the other a 2/3 Monkey Bank. By then it's Round 35, and you really do have to pay some attention to your defenses.

Time to upgrade your Engineer to 2/0, and add a 2/2 Glue Gunner next to him. Then, upgrade the Monkey Village to 2/2 by the end of round 40.

The end of Round 41 sees your Bank full, time to collect that and use the money to upgrade to a 2/4 BIA. Then, build 3x 2/3 MOAB Maulers near the entrance by the end of round 45 to make short work of the first MOAB that actually shows up in round 46.

Round 48 is the first time to collect from your BIA; use the money to upgrade your Banana Republic to a 4/2 Banana Research Facility, upgrade your Engineer to a 2/3, and save the rest to upgrade your Monkey Village to a 3/2 Monkey Town in the middle of next round, and then upgrade it again to 4/2 in the middle of Round 51.

At that point, the plan diverges wildly depending on the track and your whim, but I always always always get that 2/4 Engineer for a single stupid reason: Overclocking your Monkey Tower makes it's radius 15% bigger, which is huge insofar as it usually gets close enough to the entrance that the double money from killing bloons in the radius is triggering on 80% or so of the bloons. (Assuming you've spent a buck on Bigger Beacons, which is kind of a no-brainer.) Between that, the Bank, the Research Facility, and the box drops from the Chinook Copter that I inevitably get, I'm basically swimming in money.

That plan works on most tracks, and I follow it religiously. If you have a split track like Drag Race or The Great Divide, obviously, it doesn't work nearly as well. :)
Last edited by Essence on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Premium actually doesn't have the helicopter. What does it do?

Bloonchipper just has a small-ish area (think Wizzard), and continually sucks bloons in as they approach the edge of the area, removing one layer and spitting them out the back, where they float back to "front of the line for more". Obviously, masses of bloons, particularly multilayer ones, mean they'll get past. Has no innate camo detection.

Path 1 upgrades are: pulls them in faster; shreds lead and frozen bloons; shreds two layers at a time; shreds MOAB-class bloons (even ZOMGs - obviously it takes a few runs through to destroy them).

Path 2 upgrades are: massively increased range; takes less time to actually shred bloons inside it; ridiculously faster; activate a mega-suction power where for 10 seconds, all bloons in the area get pulled to its mouth and it just grinds through them.

Its upgrade tower tier 2 is "more range", and tier 3 is "briefly stuns bloons after shredding and releasing". It's a very brief stun, but I'm sure you know how to stack them.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

This makes me want to play Warcraft 3 again.

Fuck.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This makes me want to play Warcraft 3 again.

Fuck.
The memories.... goddamn gray player would always fuck up, all you had to do was catch the air waves, but you couldn't handle it.
thomaschrles
NPC

Post by thomaschrles »

I also like flash games..Specifically Bloons is my beloved one..I am just addicted to it..
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Bloons TD 5 is in the Humble Mobile Bundle 2

EDIT: oh, wait, "Please Note: These games are only available for Android devices ".

So don't do it if you use a full computer
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

NECROMANCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

It's out on Steam. Maybe I should have posted this when they first released it. As a Premium player, they gave me a free Steam key, as you'd generally expect.

The steam one comes with the Premium towers as well as the helicopter from the mobile version, and a new one, the awesome submarine. Allows co-op games if you want that, and has a truckload of extra maps with a few interesting things going on. And heaps of random missions, as well as "Mission of the Day", which picks a random map and then randomly allows four tower types, the rest locked out.

And now the Odyssey mode, where you play a number of maps in a row, with lives carrying from one to the next. Because I have the "Banana Farms Give Extra Lives" upgrade and build loads of farms, this typically makes them easier as you go. It's hilarious.

Anyway, yeah, it's on Steam, it's fairly cheap, and it's awesome. It probably needs a bunch of new extras to spend upgrade-currency on though, as you just keep earning that shit through play.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Tower Defense games are a lot of fun.

I had the chance to get in on the ground floor of the game genre when it started in 2001-2002 as a Starcraft "WTC Defense" modded map.

The original difficulty of that TDG made the map one that you could play over and over; even if you knew how to play/beat the map. As well as setting the bar high for all subsequent TD games.

Monkey TD is also a fascinating game with all sorts of upgrade trees that have to be picked from as the game advances. It has the typical limitations of any TDG; and once the player has finished the first 100 waves... the replayability goes down; for me, because I've played dozens of TD games to see where they are similar, and vary, from the original SC map.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.