Dominions 3 What-Ifs and other creative miscellany

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

Dominions 3 What-Ifs and other creative miscellany

Post by Orion »

So Since we now have a video game forum, it stands to reason we should have a Dominions 3 thread for the forum. But I didn't just want to copy over the strategy thread. As fate would have it, I'm tooling around with the modmaker and trying to chart out the history of the setting. I decided I'd throw down a bunch of hypotheticals that occurred to me as I go and see if anyone else has thoughts they want to share.
  • What if LA Marignon had a pagan revival and brought back the druids?
  • What would the Sidhe do if they survived into the Late Age?
  • What were the kami Jomon summons up to in the early ages?
  • Apart from Mictlan, does anyone live in North America?
  • Was blood magic brought back to LA Marignon by sailors who had raided Mictlan? What instead of Atlanteans Mictlan were run by conquistadores?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Marignon apparently just straight-up learned blood magic from demons. MA Mictlan had suppressed the blood cults.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

LA Atlantis draws on some north American mythology.

LA Man has a summonable, undead Sidhe and the fey dogs.

Some of the Kami are ancestor spirits. Pre-Jomon, some of them would probably be living under Bakkemono or Oni rulership as humans. Then they die and their descendants summon them.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Marignon's Goetic Cult is a lot more like Abyssia's Warlocks than Mictlan's Sun Priests.

-Username17
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Re: Dominions 3 What-Ifs and other creative miscellany

Post by Shatner »

Orion wrote:
  • What were the kami Jomon summons up to in the early ages?
There was an MA Jomon Mod released a while back that tried to answer that question. The Kami are all in or around the domain of the Dragon King of the Eastern Sea (which the Ryujin are all subjects thereof). Since Dominion 3 seems to function on the same logic as The Fables comics do, you just have swaths of territory which is populated by the denizens of one mythology or another, and MA Jomon was home to all the Chinese and Japanese stuff which wasn't already claimed by Oni/Bakemono.

In the mod's setting, human refugees fleeing the Oni swear fealty to the Ryujin in exchange for protection. Since humans are cheap, numerous and able/willing to be compelled into lasting servitude (unlike kami, which can only be compelled through expensive magical rituals) the scions of the Dragon King are finally able to make a civilization which can produce armies and invade stuff and march alongside dragons and spirits. Theoretically this is being done to revenge themselves against the Oni, but really it's to appease the vanity and greed of their draconic overlords.

Guide for the mod written here.
Last edited by Shatner on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Re: Dominions 3 What-Ifs and other creative miscellany

Post by Shatner »

Orion wrote:
  • What instead of Atlanteans Mictlan were run by conquistadores?
Roster-wise, I'd assume something like LA Ulm or LA Marignon where you have a powerful battery of casters who are operating in secret of the rulers of the region. So, you'd have a bunch of slaves and warriors wearing loincloths still, but you'd then have a small handful of european-inspired sailors, priests, cavalry and heavy infantry. Then you'd have a bunch of blood and elemental/nature mages who all have stealth and practice the old magics in secret. The Jaguar warriors (or whatever equivalent exists) now use greatswords instead of obsidian clubs. Or you could switch it around and make the natives embittered practitioners of the old faith and the conquering priests are considered the blasphemers. Then you have your various flavors of Mictlan Priest-Sorcerers (who now have even less religious authority) ruled by some capital-only priests who raise unrest or have Heretic-1 or Heretic-2 attributes.