Exalted 3rd Edition Kickstarter

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

fectin wrote:
Longes wrote: Yeah. One of the games I've been playing ended with me (Infernal Scourge) singlehandedly 'liberating' Lookshy from the dragonblooded tyrany, by virtue of me being faster than a horse, invisible (and untraceable) and capable of running up walls. I basically kited the entire army.
Why didn't they just shoot you?
Leaving aside Lookshy's extensive arsenal of ways to cheat, Dragon Bloods who have invested at all in fighting are very, very nasty in large groups. They don't have many advantages, but they do have more dakka than anyone else, do AOE blasts, and voltron together into giant cannon.
Because first they have to see the Scourge, who can easily be running on the tips of grass blades or even flying (precluding the use of Earth Sense), in order to hit him. Vs. a 30 die stealth pool, you need either Keen/Unsurpassed Sense Discipline, Eye of the Unconquered Sun or their equivalents (only Celestials have those) to see him.

Assuming they can see him, they have to hit him. Perfect defenses mean that you can laugh at perfect attacks and DBs don't even get that; their coop version of Elemental Bolt Attack allows them to link a bunch of guys together and fire a more accurate and powerful spirit bomb, but even that is no guarantee of hitting a Scourge who has invested in being fast. And when you do get 20 guys together to spend motes on shooting the Scourge he just goes "lel" and PDs it. So you're out 20 actions (and remember, Cooperative uses of Charms null the use of Combos, including defensive Charms) and possibly a hundred motes, to miss a guy who has spent 7-8 motes and no actions.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

These chucklefucks are outsorcing the beta-testing and editing to the community (except they are not saying that).
Hello Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition backer! The long dreamed of day is at last here!
Here is the link to your Exalted 3rd Edition backer PDF:
As I mentioned earlier this week, this EX3 backer PDF contains the complete interior of the book, except that this is not the finished cover, and the Index still needs to be created and added, along with the PDF bookmarks and hyperlinks. We need to have your input on any errata you may find within the book before we add in those elements because if an errata change changes the page numbering it would wreck those bits.

Although you certainly don’t have to, we encourage all backers to let us know if you find any errors we may have missed, including any changes to the Backer Credits. This is a huge book, and even with a trusty editor and all of us reading through it again and again, there will be things we miss. It just always happens.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Dude, I'm, like, so high right now.
Last edited by Longes on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Why Exalted 3e is about twice the size it has any right to be, a presentation by Longes:
Integrity

The faerie queen’s eyes were pinpoints of light, colorful stars scattered carelessly across the swirling darkness of her countenance. These eyes surveyed Lance of Starfallen Justice as he entered her boudoir, with a polite nod to his salamanderheaded guide. The warrior’s polished orichalcum hauberk was as splendid as his bearing, and the constellation of the queen’s eyes could see the tongues of fire that burnt in his soul—surely a man to be tempted by power and glory. With a wave she called up gossamer marvels from her treasure vaults: a mirror that whispered profound and terrible wisdoms; an ewer styled as a dragon’s head that held liquid immortality; a black diamond that could beckon forth countless hobgoblin servants. Lance of Starfallen Justice regarded her display politely, as he took a seat to negotiate for the souls of the villagers imprisoned in her palace. “No thank you, fair lady.”

This Ability is important in social influence.
Integrity is the Ability to remain resolute in one’s beliefs, principles, and decisions when they are challenged, an active discipline of self-assurance and refuting opposing arguments. It contributes to a character’s Resolve, which is used to resist the persuasion of socially skilled characters.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

How do I art direction?
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

All of my kek, etc, etc...

But man, this art really is bad. I wonder if these illustrators were paid at all. Cause I can find better ones randomly browsing furry pictures on DeviantArt.

Please continue, if you don't mind, I need some fun.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

In the description of all types of Exalts (Infernals seem to be completely retgone) each type gets a "Play one of ___ if you want to ____" blurb. But the corebook (659 pages) only has rules for being a Solar, so I don't know what's this all about.

Going on a tangent, I've got "Play one of Nicolas Cage if you want to Jerk off into a pool of children's tears" using random Cards Against Humanity cards. This is the most fun I've had with Exalted 3e so far.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I can't believe how bad some of the art is after waiting so long for this to come out. I mean really, did they not look at the art NOT think "wow isn't this shitty, aren't our fans going to be underwhelmed and pissef off?"
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I assume they looked at the art and said 'eh, it's on par with the other stuff we paid negative money for.'
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

One thing that should be noted, is that Exalted doesn't have a stylistical direction to begin with. It want to do anime hijinks in the japanese aestheitc, except it also wants to be a grimdark iron heroes adventure in the roman empire. Or it wants to be Warhammer Fantasy chaos lands if you are playing a Lunar. Its hell (Malfeas) is an alternate dimension of bizzare geometries where spirits of the old gods live, except it's also a catholic hell where evil demons are doing evil stuff. There is no unified style to Exalted, no focus.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Last one isn't bad; I'd pay actual money for an entire book's worth of art in that style.

The others, not so much.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

Ok, so rather than just let other people think for me and work myself up into a righteous fury over nothing... I just went through the PDF and counted up all the art. In my estimation (not including weapons and armor) there are roughly ~168 pieces of art in the book, not including weapons & armor.

There are

7 pieces of art I think are just objectively bad.

4 pieces of art I think where something weird happened that messed up the quality.

Things like the dude in the thong are IMO - silly, but not actually bad per se.

I'm a data analyst, not an artist, but this is just my opinion - 1 piece of art in 15 needs replaced or fixed. Of course, one could make the argument that some of the art isn't necessarily doing what it should, and certainly, it looks like there was one main style of art with a few other dramatically different styles peppered in as well.

Not as bad as I thought.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'm not saying that the art in the book is all bad or anything. There are decent art pieces here and there. What I'm saying is that there is no art direction. No unified aesthetic to the art. No single style. We have a roman setting on the first picture, a weird I don't know what 3d tracing on the second and a gestapo officer walking into a pirate bar on the fourth. There is no consistency anywhere. Can you look at these four pictures and say that they come from the same setting and the same book?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

That's a terrible criticism. A lot of fantasy worlds are fucking tiny, but Creation actually has more land area than Earth does. Showing off how many different aesthetics and cultures are in their setting should be part of the core book's mandate.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was linked to this one which is apparently in the book:

(Worksafe, but with horrifying >implications)
So they first drew it with a bent knee, obviously, in a sort of leaping pose. Then someone saw it and went "Oh shit, only one leg emerging from dress, she only has one leg!" and drew the second one in.

And now she has a massive erection.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

name_here wrote:Last one isn't bad
That's the artist I associate most with Exalted, did a lot of illustrations for the 1st edition book. I wonder if that person is a fan of Joe Mad, Battle Chasers is basically Exalted: The Amerimanga.

As for the floating vampire with a boner/holding up her dress, that's an Innistrad MTG card: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=247235

If I could pick any one artist to do Exalted though, Jun Suemi would be cool:
https://www.pinterest.com/artlandis/art ... jun-suemi/
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh. I was just being linked by someone reading a separate thread of "The failure of Exalted 3E in every possible way". Someone might have posted that one as a "That picture there reminds me of this one".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Koumei wrote:I was linked to this one which is apparently in the book:

(Worksafe, but with horrifying >implications)
So they first drew it with a bent knee, obviously, in a sort of leaping pose. Then someone saw it and went "Oh shit, only one leg emerging from dress, she only has one leg!" and drew the second one in.

And now she has a massive erection.

I'm... pretty sure she's just supposed to be holding up her dress strangely.

EDIT: Alternate speculation:
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

There was a minor hubbub about that card back when it came out. Apparently the artist changed it at the last second so that she'd have her leg raised and the knee bent, and then just forgot to delete the leg from the bottom of her dress.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Why didn't Exalted 3e change the linear chargen exponential advancement rules despite the fanbase crying about it for years? Because the fanbase are stupid poopooheads who don't know what they want.

*Holden is the current lead developer.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Wow, Holden should not be allowed to speak for the company.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Wow, Holden should not be allowed to speak for the company.
Also you shouldn't be allowed to be a moderator on rpg.net and also the developer of a game being debated on that forum. And yet, here we are.
rpg.net is so blatantly corrupt that it's actually kind of amazing. Also, the people who work for Onyx Path are subhuman parasites.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Bah, but Holden is completely right. The reasons that Exalted gives its players bad rules have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the desires those players express.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

A few pages in Holden deflects attention to saying exalted is more balanced than DnD3e and more flexible than dnd 4e all proud like
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

FrankTrollman wrote:Also, the people who work for Onyx Path are subhuman parasites.
That's coming on a bit strong, surely. Minton and Sheppard both seem like good guys, even though you couldn't pay me to play their game.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.