Pointless Timewasters (Mobile Apps)

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Pointless Timewasters (Mobile Apps)

Post by Prak »

So, I started playing the Simpsons app (Tapped Out), and need friends to visit on it. Anyone on here play? My Origin name is KoerblBlack
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I do not. My favorite time waster is Alchemy, where you combine elements to get new ones:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That is a fun one, sadly, though, it's too short.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

My wife got really into Legends of Yore. It is an "8 bit", single character, turn based combat and movement, world and random dungeon level exploration game. I highly recommend it.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I like Pixel Dungeon, a developing roguelike for Android.

Overall, mobile doesn't seem to have a very good game space, and it's probably because of the "race to the bottom" pricing and the newness of the platform.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Yeah, all of the games I have installed on my phone and tablet are ports of games that started out on other platforms. If all you're looking for is the ability to play your game on the bus, though, there are some great offerings there. My favorites:
[*]SpaceChem
[*]Plants vs. Zombies
[*]Osmos
[*]Solar 2
[*]World of Goo
I find that the Humble Indie Bundles are a very good way to get these games in volume.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I don't have an android or whatever, so my time waster games of choice are Flash games. Really enjoying Bloons Tower Defence 5 - I even registered a Ninjakiwi account and paid ten real dollars, partly for awesome ingame benefits (it's ten bux, "whatever"), partly because I feel they deserve my money.

There IS a version for smartphones, and it has some cool extra things, apparently.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I just got into NianticLab's augmented reality game "Ingress." Requires a lot of moving around to collect data and hack locations and stuff. My neighborhood seems to be totally empty of areas to do this kind of stuff. So let's see how it goes.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I got into Ingress a couple weeks ago, and the "must move around" thing has led to me just not playing it.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I think I've given Ninjakiwi over fifty dollars so far. Mostly for Bloons 5 TD - and I've definitely become more skilled at that game, though I'm no master. The daily challenges are great too, not just as a way to get you logging in each day*, but also because the various stipulations force you to learn how to use different towers/combinations.

Now, they've recently released Super Monkey 2. It's basically a bullet hell game (mouse-controlled, autofire) except nothing can hurt you: you just have to shoot all the bloons (and collect the bloops to spend). The graphics are amazing for a Flash game, and it's a lot of fun, but basically, it's not challenging in the way Bloons is. As you go on, the game relies more and more on "Immune to X" bloons and on forcefields (they actually impede movement and take several hits to break, regardless of weapon) to slow you down. And that's not something you beat by using skill (as opposed to earlier levels where the bloons come in waves and patterns in different areas so you need to react fast and do some prediction), it just expects you to go grind some earlier levels for bloops to spend on upgrades. Or indeed, it expects you to give them money for a bunch of bloops to spend on upgrades.

Now I did give them $20, but honestly, that doesn't get enough bloops, and it was more a case of "great production value, have some money". I'll keep going for a bit, but it really was built as a pay-to-win, which is sad.

*Free-ish games really want you to log in each day. Most MMOs and "Facebook Games" do it the bad way, with various punishments for not doing so, or "if you log in for ten days in a row you get a free ___" It's much better to actually have minor playable content each day.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

This the no.1 money making game on mobile:

Puzzle & Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX-Tz8KpXE
It makes 2 million dollars a day on iOS.

Very fun matching puzzle game with RPG and card collecting mechanics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So I started playing Puzzle & Dragons, and now I need friends. My ID is 344,854,273 anyone else playing, please add me.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So I added you, and now you should also have a special superrare egg gift thing. When you hit Rank 20, consider doing the same for me :)
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

The same guy who made Red Rogue, which I described in the other thread, made a puzzle-roguelike for iOS and Android called Ending. You can play it for free on his website.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:So I added you, and now you should also have a special superrare egg gift thing. When you hit Rank 20, consider doing the same for me :)
Awesome. Will do. :)

Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

I really enjoy Rebuild for the Android. You can play the free version online on a PC.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I've been having a lot of fun with Plague Inc. Basically you control a disease trying to kill the whole world. There are pay dlcs to make it a zombie plague or brain slugs too.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Quick question about Puzzle and Dragons: is it the leader monster in your first group or the leader monster in your most recently used group or the first monster in your box that determines the monster other people can borrow? I'm thinking that as nice as my third-tier water starter is, I have some pretty awesome other things people might like to borrow.

And on that note, Prak, you really need to feed your Naga. I love her skills (and have the evolved form, Echidna), so get a lot of use out of her that way, but she could do with higher stats. Besides, don't you want to evolve her?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I noticed the level on your Echidna and could only think "How much does she play!?" At first I wasn't quite groking how things worked--and I'm still not 100% on the best tactic for powering up--but I'm getting the hang of things. If you're getting my Naga as the helper from me, then it has to be either your most used, or the leader from your first team. I get your Echidna when I use you for the helper, if that helps narrow down possibilities at all.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Weird, Echidna is leader of my sixth team, and even then only recently (I put together a team with 3-4 Fire types for some of the Sacred Grove levels). She's probably my highest-level monster though. And yeah, got her at level 30 or so from the machine, and then found one of those "Hunt Ruby Dragons!" stages that's only up for an hour at a time. I had full Stamina, so I ran through a couple of times, and those bastards give *heaps* of XP. Hence Echidna now being level 47. That had almost nothing to do with regular play.

Honestly, there are so many things I want to evolve at the moment. A bunch need the levels, a couple are just waiting on the right evolution materials (specific masks generally, and the multicoloured light ghost that only shows up one day of the week). For the record, those rabbit-like healers have kind of shitty stats, but their evolved forms do decent healing and look really cute. In the "d'awww" sense, not the "she's cute" sense.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I think I have an evolved rabbit healer of each colour at this point. What's the best way to get xp for monsters?

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well the only way to get xp for them is to fuse other monsters into them. Here are some general tips:
-Anything that has the type of "Enhancement Material" or something to that effect. Typically these creatures have a maximum level of 1
-Specifically, those dragons you sometimes find that look like baby dragons and attack for fuck-all damage each turn and have high defence
-Use the same element whenever possible, you get more XP that way
-If it's the same species (including others in the same evo-line), there's a chance of also adding a skill level
-The higher the level of the critter being sacrificed, the more XP
-Better creatures tend to give more XP as well

Because the amount of gold you have to pay depends on the level of the beneficiary (it's x*y*100, where x equals their level and y equals the number of creatures), if you get, say, 3*low level junk, you're better off combining those three together then fusing the one resulting creature into the beneficiary. It's cheaper that way, and possibly works out to more xp (seems to). Indeed, if you have two things that would each give one level, don't fuse one then the other, fuse both at once, it saves money.

But yeah, I think it's every day, at some random time, for one hour only, there's a dragon-hunting dungeon. Note that the baby dragons give decent XP (crazy good for the low level stuff) and can be taken out with shit like Ice Breath, but the medium and king ones (admittedly still looking babylike), which give out fucking buckets of xp, you basically have to grind through them with combos, but they don't hurt much. Using these dragons is definitely the best way (so far) for gaining monster xp.

As for the rabbits, I have the 3rd tier each of Purple (carries a parasol), Yellow, Red (holds a giant knife and fork) and Blue (rides a broom), and the 2nd tier of Green.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cool. Yeah, I have 0 third tiers. I have a couple 2nd tiers, and it's only been a few days since I realized that doing special dungeons gives shit tons of gold. I haven't been playing a lot. That will probably change when I'm back at school and riding the bus every day.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, it updated. Obviously I can't update it from the App store, what with it still not existing in this country (and fuck you too, guys!), so if I wait for the .apk file to show up on some shady Russian site or whatever, then download it from there, will it still update and play just fine using my current settings?

Inventory-wise, it's pretty rad:
1. Healing rabbits: all of them at tier three, bitches!
2. Attacker "element-bomb" demons: the fire one at tier three, all others at tier 2. Combining them with a Leader/Ally that grants x1.5/x2 to the ATK of "attacker" monsters is hilarious.
3. Element "health-drain" ninjas*: only a couple, but at tier 2
4. Monster-girl healer types (Naga, Mermaid etc). The green one at tier 1, everything else at tier 2.

And so many knights, dragons and such.

*You'll remember them if you've fought them. Even the tier-1 ones take like zero damage from gem-matching, you pretty much have to slap them with a monster attack.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ess and I have found the ultimate pointless timewaster! It's Godville - a massively-multiplayer zero-player game. You are the patron deity of a hero who spends his or her days questing and writing all about it in their diary. While you can interact, the point is that you don't have to (a la Progress Quest). It's surprisingly funny.
Some Samples From My Hero's Diary wrote:01:58: Remembering the advice to “Buy low, sell high,” I held the space oddity up over my head and got handed 261 coins under the counter for it.

01:49: A full backpack gave me a good excuse to stop hiding milestones from other heroes and head to a warm and comfortable city. Hot baths, I'm on my way!

01:49: The Stand-up Chameleon paid for its bad attitude with its life, a “Build your own unicorn” kit and 13 coins. Bad attitudes sure are expensive these days.

01:47: I could have sworn that particle beams were supposed to burn through me, but that one just packed my wounds with material. Hopefully, whomever shot me won't figure out I'm feeling better.

01:43: Knelt beside a dying hero. His last words are still ringing in my ears: 'I'll be back!'.

01:41: I stopped by the graveyard to listen to the local ghosts wailing. I must say, they're quite impressive. Although they do chat a bit too much at times.

01:37: Got hit on the head by a flying can of meat, with a label reading, “Thou shalt not wallow!”. How did that get past my spam filter?

01:37: I think we should communicate in a secret language, Great One. It looks like some other heroes have been copying my entries.

01:36: The Balloonatic was shredded into tiny strips. I picked up a scratch-proof lottery ticket and 39 gold coins.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.