Dungeons and Dragons Online

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Dungeons and Dragons Online

Post by Wiseman »

A general thread about the MMO. Love it? Hate it? Don't care? What the hell am I talking about?

Post you're questions, opinions, likes, dislikes, or whatever about this game.
Last edited by Wiseman on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

It's fun, but they can't seem to decide what the end game content is supposed to be. Also, they are monetizing it like crazy. But if you ignore all that, you can have a good time as a casual player.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I used to play during Update 6 or 7? recently after the FTP, got a cleric to 20 and had some fun, but the end game wasn't good. I'm trying a replay now, but they've changed a lot of stuff, so It's hard to say if it's still as good. Unfortunately, my computer is overheating when I play, which is going to take me a good chunk of time to sort out.
shadzar
Prince

Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online

Post by shadzar »

Wiseman wrote:What the hell am I talking about?
is this the facebook game? or that stormreach game? or something else?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

The stormreach game. I didn't know there was a facebook game.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

I've been playing DDO for a couple years now. I signed up for VIP to get all the content. My thoughts are thus:

I like that most of the game is mission based rather than wilderness areas though it does have the consequence that you end up wasting hours sometimes if you have problems completing a quest (and thus miss the bulk of the xp). The missions have gotten a lot better in the last two years. Some of the older content is pretty lame.

PVP is basically non existent. You can but its definitely rocket launcher tag.

Epic levels certainly doesn't feel epic. Seriously you fight bears and spiders in much of the newer "Epic" content. But defeating lolth is fun

You're rewarded a lot for being able to play at the higher difficulty. Like double the xp for completing Elite difficulty. This mostly benefits true resurrection players who have restarted a character (you get attribute points and other bonuses for doing so. The down side is you need this because it costs more xp to level after you TR.

They keep on coming out with different crafting systems than aren't really compatible or balanced to each other. I find them frustrating but ignorable.

The special events are super grinding and for the most part not that fun. With the exception of Crystal cove all the other ones are ran only because of the loot you can get. Unfortunately some of loot is so good you feel you have to grind it out.

Content will often fall out of rotation fairly quickly so that it can be hard to find a group for some content.

A lot of kit also becomes absolutely obsolete. Though they have been revising a lot of it recently much of it is still not quite worth it. You really aare finding most players of a certain build equiping mostly the same stuff.

The classes feel quite a bit different from each other and range from simple point and click playing to combination and effect playing. If you don't like how one plays you might like another. All classes are sufficiently useful though some situationally more so than others.

Soloing is a pain for many classes. Basically casters can play on their own much better than melee though you can take hireling clerics to help you along (a necessity and cheapest solution for most people). trappers are essential in some missions but then useless in others and too many mission have heavy fortification monsters that make sneak attack useless so rogues are often not wanted in a party. IMO they are the least playable class and often become part of a splash build.

Character aesthetics gets a bit bland. They are trying to improve it but its still not uncommon to see a raid with 12 people all wear the same 3 kinds of armor. And dear god they made the half elf ugly. Half orc looks hardcore though
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'm starting to play seriously again on Thelanis, Cleric 20 working on re-orienting myself for the epic game with King's Forest commendations, on the off chance you're on Thelanis ckafrica.