Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #15: The Rings of Kether

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What book should I do next?

#3 The Forest of Doom
No votes
#8 Scorpion Swamp
25%
#12 Space Assassin
25%
#19 Demons of the Deep
50%
#37 Portal of Evil
No votes

Total votes: 8

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #15: The Rings of Kether

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

YOUR MISSION

You are a Narcotics Investigator for the Galactic Federation. Recognized by your superiors as being among the best in the field, you have been issued with the latest in interstellar scout craft and dispatched, single-handed, to crack a suspected drug ring in the Aleph Cygni star system.

Before you can begin, however, you must determine your strengths and weaknesses.

Your Ship
Roll one die. (2.) Add 6 to the result. Enter this total under the WEAPONS STRENGTH section of the Adventure Sheet. When firing at enemy spacecraft, you will need to roll less than this to score a hit.

Roll 1 die. (6.) Enter this score in the SHIELDS section of your Adventure Sheet. You will lose points from this SHIELDS score whenever you are hit from fire by enemy spacecraft. If your ship is hit when your SHIELDS score is zero, your ship is destroyed.
Your Abilities
Your abilities to fight, withstand damage and escape from tricky situations are determined by your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK. On your Adventure Sheet you will see sections where these attributes are to be recorded.

Roll one die. (6.) Add 6 to the result. This is your SKILL score.

Roll two dice. (3,3=6.) Add 12 points to the result. This is your STAMINA score.

Roll one die. (5.) Add 6 to the result. This is your LUCK score.

Should I be concerned that I keep rolling up SKILL 12 characters for these? I feel like I'm cheating even though I'm not.
Testing Your Luck
On occasion, you will be called upon to Test your Luck. When this occurs, roll two dice. If the result equals or is less than your LUCK, you are successful. If the result exceeds your LUCK, you are unsuccessful. Each time you Test your Luck, reduce your LUCK score by 1 point.
Blaster Combat
Modern weapons being what they are, blaster combat is fairly short and extremely deadly. It is conducted as follows:
1. Roll two dice. If the result is higher than or equal to your SKILL, you have missed. If the result is less than your SKILL, you have hit your opponent and inflicted damage on it - deduct 4 points from your opponent's STAMINA.
2. If your opponent's STAMINA has reached zero then your opponent has died.
3. If your opponent is still alive, then your fire will be returned: roll two dice. If the result is higher than or equal to your opponent's SKILL, your opponent has missed. If the result is less than your opponent's SKILL, your opponent has hit you - deducting 4 points from your STAMINA.
4. If you have not been killed, start a new combat round by returning to step 1.

Note: If you are faced by more than one opponent, you may select which one you will direct fire against. They will all return fire simultaneously (unless dead, of course).
Hand-to hand Combat

Hand-to-hand combat is conducted just as in other Fighting Fantasy books. If you are already familiar with this system (we are) you can skip this part of the rules (we will.)

Ship-to-ship Combat
There are two modes of attack in ship-to-ship combat:

1. Phasers: Whenever a ship is hit by phasers it will lose 1 point from its SHIELDS.
2. Smart Missiles: Only your ship is equipped with this weapon. When you decide to fire a Smart Missile at an enemy ship, the missile will automatically home in on and destroy the enemy ship, regardless of how many SHIELDS the enemy may have left.

Combat is conducted as follows:

1. You select your target (s.) You may attack with both phasers and Smart Missiles in the same combat round, firing phasers at one ship while destroying another ship with a Smart Missile.
2. Any enemy vessels attacked by a Smart Missile are now destroyed; they will not return fire with phasers.
3. Roll two dice for the phaser attack. If the result is greater than or equal to your WEAPONS STRENGTH, you have missed. Proceed to step 5.
4. If the result is less than your WEAPONS STRENGTH, you have hit the enemy ship - reduce its SHIELDS by 1 point. If the enemy ship has not been destroyed, proceed to step 5.
5. All undestroyed enemy ships return fire with phasers in the following manner: roll two dice. If the result is higher than or equal to the ship's WEAPONS STRENGTH, the phasers have missed you.
6. If the result is less than the ship's WEAPONS STRENGTH, the phasers have hit you - reduce your SHIELDS by 1 point.
7. Combat continues from step 1 until either you or your opponent's ships are destroyed.
Smart Missiles
These deadly devices inflict instant and certain destruction upon enemy spacecraft. They can only be used once each. Your spacecraft begins with two of these weapons - note that there is a section on the Adventure Sheet for keeping record of the number of Smart Missiles you have left in your Armory.
Replacing Stamina
If you become involved in any gun battles or other combat, you will almost certainly lose some STAMINA. These may be recovered by taking PEP PILLS. Each pill will restore 6 points to your STAMINA and may be taken at any time. You begin your adventure with 4 Pep Pills. Your STAMINA score can never be made to exceed its Initial level.
Your Credit Account
During the course of your adventure you will probably need certain amounts of cash. You begin the mission with 5,000 kopecks (the standard intergalactic currency) - record this amount and any expenses on the Adventure Sheet.
MISSION BRIEFING
The Galactic Federation consists of several hundred civilized worlds, all of which are signatories of certain basic Federal laws and conventions. One of these concerns the suppression of trafficking in certain narcotic drugs. Simply, the export of narcotic drugs from one world to another is illegal.

The Federal Police Force has become aware, however, of an extremely large flow of the illicit narcotic Satophil-d from the tiny Aleph Cygni system. As the individual worlds are supposed to police these matters themselves, there has developed some concern that all is not well with the Aleph Cygni administration.

With the obvious failure of the local administration to deal with this breach of Federal law your department, Federal Central (Vice), has decided to send a Grade 1 Investigator (you) to locate the source of this drug flow, penetrate the organization responsible and then destroy it.

Because of the possible untrustworthiness of the Aleph Cygni authorities, you travel to the system incognito, posing as an interstellar travelling salesman with a cargo of exotic off-world fruit, spices and luxuries. Once in the system you are on your own. Good luck!
NOW TURN OVER.

Adventure Sheet
Dirk McHeadshot XIII (can change name if people want)
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 11/11
Pep Pills: 4 (+6 STAMINA each)
Credit Account: 5,000 kopecks (50 rubles better buy us a lot.)
Dirk's Ship (name pending):
WEAPONS STRENGTH 8
SHIELDS 6/6
Smart Missiles: 2

(This took wayyy longer than expected to type up so I'll finish up in a little while.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Jesus, blaster combat is hardcore.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Wow. 4 stamina.

I vote to name the ship Hookers and Blow
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Lord Gyconi is on the cover!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK, so we're keeping the name Dirk McHeadshot XIII, and Hookers and Blow is his ship!)
FIVE MINUTES TO HYPERSPACE TERMINATION flashes on the command vidi in front of you. An alarm bell chimes softly through the ship. In a few moments you will be entering the Aleph Cygni system and, if there has been any criminal infiltration into the Galactic Vice Squad, there could be a very hot reception.

FOUR MINUTES TO HYPERSPACE TERMINATION

Swiveling in your crash couch, you run a check through your spacecraft's weapon systems: PHASERS - Check, SMART MISSILES, 2 - Check, SHIELDS - Check. Pretty hefty stuff for a traveling salesman, though no one's to know, unless you have to use it. Until such time, your cover should remain intact.

You charge up the conventional drive of your spaceship, raise the anti-spy beam shield and grit your teeth for the stomach twisting end to hyper-spatial travel.

PREPARE FOR INSERTION INTO REAL SPACE/TIME

The bottom drops out of the spaceship; you follow at some super-light speed ... Ssshh. Everything flies back together and is once again, apart from the hangover you seem to have developed in the last moment, back to normal. There, on the screen in front of you, is the Aleph Cygni system - the yellow star, Aleph Cygni, and its single planet, Kether. Kether, your Cosmo-Nav tells you, is a habitable world consisting of vast expanses of ocean and, apart from a few scattered islands, only one continental land-mass. Circling this world is a small pock-marked moon known locally as Rispin's End. Not visible on your vidiscreen, but whose presence you are alerted to by your Cosmo-Nav, is a vast belt consisting of hundreds of thousands of asteroids.

Where will you begin your search for the drug runners - at the system's starport on Kether, on the moon, or in the asteroid belt?

Adventure Sheet
Dirk McHeadshot XIII
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 11/11
Credit Account: 5,000 kopecks
Hookers and Blow:
WEAPONS STRENGTH 8
SHIELDS 6/6
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well if drugs are worth 6 stamina points a pop. I can understand why the local cops are taking a cut instead of cracking down on the drug trade.

I'd say starport first before our 'fruit' spoils.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

The book isn't called "Rings of the asteroid field". Kether.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Smugglers are in ports.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Yeah, port.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Remember to watch out for the jackass Obi-Wan Kenobi clone. He mind controls you and sends you to the wrong page number. GAME OVER, MAN.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Seems logical to look for clues in port before we wander around aimlessly scanning asteroids.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Booty calls at the port, yea!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You land at Kether's only starport, which is on the continental land-mass and only ten kilometers from the planet's capital city. Your ship is towed to its parking-space where, to your dismay, you are boarded by several Customs officers looking for contraband. "What, drugs?" you ask. They look at you smugly before replying. "No, technology. And this," says one of them, finding your spy ray, (we had a spy ray? What does that even do?) "is an example of it. I'm sorry, this device is a prohibited import and as such will not be returned to you. Good-day." They leave the spacecraft. Cross the spy ray off your Equipment List. (I didn't list it in the first place.) Rather brusque treatment, and they didn't even check your cargo...

You could ask a few questions around the starport, go to the local law-enforcement headquarters and ask for some help, or, if you want to keep a really low profile, find a shady starport canteen in which to conduct a few inquiries.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

The staff around the starport are clearly obnoxious and hostile, and we've been sent here specifically because the local law enforcement is assumed to be either corrupt or totally incompetent. That leaves only the shady canteen. I know I buy all my drugs from shady canteens.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Shady canteen.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shady Canteen!

-Username17
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The canteen you find is advertised by a gaudy crypto-fluorescent animated sign, depicting a large "Crush" class stellar battleship diving into a foaming glass of undefined liquid. The sound-effects are deafening, full of fusion motor roars, laser zaps and dam-sized splashes. Looks promising. Entering the premises, you find the joint packed with drunken flotsam and jetsam; there is heavy laughter, the obligatory fight in the corner and it is all very, very noisy. A small sign over the bar announces that no aliens are allowed. Very promising.

Will you approach one of the barmaids for a tip about who in the bar might best be approached for a bit of underworld "largess", or just mingle to see what you can find out?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Hit on the barmaid, of course.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

get women.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Hi there!" you shout at a young bar-wench, "I'm new in town and I'm sort of looking for somebody who can help a young, unscrupulous type of person, like me, get along without having to work in a regular way, see?"
"Oh, yeah?" she shouts back, disdainfully. "What d'yer do, zero head?" You perform a quick bit of thinking here: what's absolutely necessary for a drug-producing outfit?
"I'm a chemist. I make funny little crystals for people to stick in their bloodstreams," you yell. She blinks at you a bit, obviously thinking without seeing you. Hiking up her skirt, she reveals a garter purse. Slapping it, she says, "Five hundred kopecks, jerk."

Will you pay her or not? If you decide not to pay you will just have to mingle with the crowd.

(If Dirk McHeadshot XIII is the best Narcotics Investigator in the galaxy, then it's no wonder the Federation has such trouble with drug lords. Should we burn five rubles on this bitch?)
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Pay her.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Hmmm... a leggy, slutty hellbitch. How can I resist?

Pay her!

(We're going to get fleeced I'm sure.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You part with your 500. The barmaid pulls you close and points out two people at separate tables. One is a pale, drawn-looking man alone with his beer, the other is a fat, middle-aged woman playing cards with six or seven men. Which will you approach, the man, or the woman?

Adventure Sheet
Dirk McHeadshot XIII
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 18/18
LUCK 11/11
Credit Account: 4,500 kopecks
Hookers and Blow:
WEAPONS STRENGTH 8
SHIELDS 6/6
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

People who write books like these hate fat middle aged ladies. Talk to the junky.

-Username17
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Man.