Bizarre Glorantha Trolling

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Actually, ducks are pretty much either rapeists /or/ consensual sexers, and it varies by duck. IIRC, that's an inherited trait. The other part is that duck rape actually doesn't succeed very often. So, a duck version of Javeir would basically be right.

Try here for details: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/3769- ... e-erection
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I wonder if the tyrannosaurus would also have such an appendage
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Speaking of King of Dragon Pass, its designer showed a new screen that got taken out from the full game, a cow-tentacle-raping Walktapus:

According to the blog, its expected that the next patch bring a lot of new screens and events to the game. Thats cool, since I was really in the mood to start a new game soon.
Last edited by silva on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Glorantha, as far as I can tell, is kind of the Jehovah's Witnesses of role playing games: there is a small group of people who "get it", and these people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, or possibly even counting sliced bread. They will talk your ear off about it for hours and send you bizarrely huge tracts about the setting that will, depending on your mood, either be oddly fascinating or make you want to rip your own eyes out of your skull.

And then there's everyone else, people who don't see what the big deal is and think the whole thing is baffling.

Also, Glorantha will drive you crazy if you try to research the "real" history of the setting, because essentially all the game material is written from the viewpoint of someone in the setting, and thus there is very little that can be called "reliable".

There are some kind of neat ideas in it. But it is not well-explained, is often overly precious, and in general suffers -- as many things do -- from the fact that its fans think it is super awesome. It's a kind of early product of the same game design motivations that would eventually generate Vampire.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Walktapus, jackobears, duckpeople...

NEED MOAR
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Glorantha sounds like a great setting. If you are a retarded 7-year old.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

talozin wrote: from the fact that its fans think it is super awesome. It's a kind of early product of the same game design motivations that would eventually generate Vampire.
Can I get an expansion on this since I wasn't an RPG player during the 90's.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Dr_Noface wrote:Walktapus, jackobears, duckpeople...

NEED MOAR
Oh, there are certainly some great creatures in the setting, even broo are pretty great as a "everyone will stop fighting each other to fight them" monster (note- They worship Thed, the Goddess of rape).

If you divorced that from the lack lustre system (roll under d%, no skill caps, one magic system is vastly better than the others), and you changed the stupid "science literally doesn't exist" and you made some interesting things that weren't "CHAOS!!!21!!!!!!KILLONSIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" then it might actually be worth playing.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

RQ was a game system built in the late 70s. Heck, 2nd edition was copyright 1980, first was 1978 iirc. It looks like it too, but it works ok within it's limits. It explodes at higher power levels, but so do most games of that period. The license/sale of RQ to AH was a total fisaco, so the system was never really developed much, though there no real core mechanics changes between 2nd and 3rd (AH) edition.

I don't really know the mechanics used for the current version (5th?) of RQ. The Heroquest mechanics are very different than original RQs.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

For what it's worth, White Bear and Red Moon was a pretty rockin' board game, more complicated than Divine Right (and with a neat magical combat system), and vastly more playable than SPI's forgettable attempt at a similar game (Swords and Sorcery, I think).

Anyway, White Bear had ducks in it, but they were a pretty feeble fighting force in a world with dragons and superheroes able to single-handedly take down armies.
Last edited by Doom on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
talozin wrote: from the fact that its fans think it is super awesome. It's a kind of early product of the same game design motivations that would eventually generate Vampire.
Can I get an expansion on this since I wasn't an RPG player during the 90's.
Vampire was the first widely successful pretentious art-house role-playing game. It was created by a bunch of guys who not only wanted to create a game that revolved around something other than running into a dungeon, murdering everything in sight, grabbing the loot, and running out -- which is a fine goal in the abstract -- but who felt that doing so made them better than you, and wanted to be sure that you and everybody else knew it.

Glorantha doesn't have the same brooding angstful goth poet wannabe thing going on that Vampire does, but it is emphatically a setting that thinks it's clever, and wants to make sure you realize just how clever it thinks it is.
Last edited by talozin on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

There are a whole lot of different settings/types of games within Glorantha to play. The ones detailed enough to play without doing a lot of work yourself are more limited, but there is decent selection. And you can play most of them without even worrying about the larger world. It's a lot more flexible than Vampire that way. But it is what it is.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

talozin wrote:Glorantha doesn't have the same brooding angstful goth poet wannabe thing going on that Vampire does, but it is emphatically a setting that thinks it's clever, and wants to make sure you realize just how clever it thinks it is.
Im a Glorantha fan, and I must, sadly, agree with this. Luckly though, I have most products from its early days, when it was more focused on being fun and playable, instead of an anthropologically clever art work or something.

(By the way, I think the latest releases by Moondesign - together with Runequest 6 - are making justice to that old days)
Last edited by silva on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

kzt wrote:RQ was a game system built in the late 70s. Heck, 2nd edition was copyright 1980, first was 1978 iirc. It looks like it too, but it works ok within it's limits. It explodes at higher power levels, but so do most games of that period. The license/sale of RQ to AH was a total fisaco, so the system was never really developed much, though there no real core mechanics changes between 2nd and 3rd (AH) edition.

I don't really know the mechanics used for the current version (5th?) of RQ. The Heroquest mechanics are very different than original RQs.
The latest edition is Runequest 6, released last year. It’s the most streamlined and comprehensible one yet, but it shows its age in its 80s-like complexity. After migrating to games like Apocalypse World and Barbarians of Lemuria, I don’t think I have balls for taking 1 hour for char creation, another hour for prepping an adventure, and 40 minutes to resolve a combat, as is/was the norm for games of that age (AD&D, Gurps, Rolemaster, etc). Anyway, for those who like their fantasy gritty, "sandal-footed", and even anthropologically correct (and don’t mind hi-crunch rules) it’s a great game. Perhaps the best. ;)
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

silva wrote:it’s a great game. Perhaps the best. ;)
No it's a terrible game that still has fumble rules and describes it's combat system as realistic, making it worse than Hitler.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Runequest 6 is, according to my Runequest veteren GM friend, barely different from Mongoose Runequest 2.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Prak_Anima wrote:Runequest 6 is, according to my Runequest veteren GM friend, barely different from Mongoose Runequest 2.
This is true.
Lord Mistborn wrote:No it's a terrible game that still has fumble rules and describes it's combat system as realistic, making it worse than Hitler
This is not true. Whats your problem with realism in rpgs and wtf Hitler has to do with it?
Last edited by silva on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Realism is terrible in RPGs.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Jackobears are just ripoffs of the original OD&D Bugbear. Before the AD&D Monster Manual turned them into hairy fat guys for no discernible reason, they were pumpkin headed bears.

Bugbears were way cooler when they were bears with pumpkins on their heads, and that's what I grew up with. My dad never accepted the retcon of turning them into fat hairy goblins.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Dang, that's pretty cool.

D&D seems to have a rendundant amount of goblinoids. Bugbears just seem like all of the best qualities of hobgobs and gobgobs magnified in one huge sneaking frame.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

There is something wrong in a world that ridiculizes duck-men and glorifies bears with halloween pumpkins for heads.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I always took Glorantha's physics (or more appropriately lack of physics) as the explicit use of Hollywood Physics (or "Rule of Cool").

It's no different from most space opera games, where space physics are nowhere near realistic but allow for cool space battles.

I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as either the boundaries or the mechanics are good enough to allow everyone at the table to know what to expect.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Blade wrote: I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as either the boundaries or the mechanics are good enough to allow everyone at the table to know what to expect.
But we're talking about a game in which a quite considerable number of people will accidentally behead themselves in any large battle.

-Username17
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well it isn't that far from the real world: The most dangerous military stratagem ever devised
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm actually fairly certain that Runequest no longer uses fumbles to that extent. A combat fumble basically just mean "you run into your enemy's sword," (IIRC). Basically in combat it goes*:
\/Defender|Attacker>FumbleFailSuccessCritical
FumbleNothing happensNothing happensAttacker hits, can choose two combat maneuverAttacker hits and gets three combat maneuvers
FailNothing happensNothing happensAttacker hits and gets a combat maneuverAttacker hits and gets two combat maneuvers
SuccessSuccessful dodge, Dodger can use a defensive combat manueverSuccessful dodge, Dodger can choose a defensive combat manuevercompare rolls, higher success winsAttacker hits and can choose an offensive combat maneuver
CriticalSuccessful dodge, Dodger can use three defensive combat manueversSuccessful dodge, Dodger can use two defensive combat manueversSuccessful dodge and choose a defensive combat manuevercompare rolls, higher critical wins

*Disclaimer: Combat in runequest is kind of arcane and confusing, at least for someone who hasn't taken the time to read the entire combat chapter, like me.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.