The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
OSSR Request Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
Actually, Frank and I have been talking, and will specifically review 3Ed 40k. Obviously it'll take some time.

While 3e WH40k is probably a high-water mark for the franchise rules-quality, it wasn't like 3e didn't have any issues. I wonder what ideas in 3e were bad, as well as the overall good the edition achieved by trying to become less of an RPG and more of a Wargame.

The rules changes in 3e for Fragmentation grenades are one thing that gave me quite a few cases of cognitive dissonance. My units could no longer throw them for blast radius attacks; and grenades now were strictly a way to even the Initiative odds when charging fortifications. Which, iirc, isn't precisely how fragmentation grenades are often used. While meant as an anti-fortification arm for infantry, grenades tend to be used as "replacements" for going into a trench or bunker oneself and shooting/bayoneting those inside. While the depiction in 3e's rules is that of an "augmentation" to HtH combat against fortified enemies.

Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue May 16, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Longes
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AH, any chance of you reviewing Guide to the Sabbat? You've brought it up in the Guide to the Technocracy review.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which edition?
Longes
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ancient History wrote:
Which edition?

Whichever you think is more horrible?
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...that's a hard decision.
Mord
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2e horrible is kind of endearing; 3e horrible is nauseating. Pick your poison.
Longes
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mord wrote:

... Guide to the Sabbat vs. Guide to the Sabbat?
Mord
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Longes wrote:
Mord wrote:

... Guide to the Sabbat vs. Guide to the Sabbat?

Yea. Having read both (and having both in my library right now), I can say Tthe 2e GttS is kind of endearing to me because it was a legit attempt to expand the Vampire world to a new play style. The content in this book consists of mainly new ideas written by people who had passion for the game and the concept. The content is pretty bad, yes, but the enthusiasm behind it is palpable and I find it hard to dislike on that basis.

The 3e GttS suffers from the same problem as most Vampire 3e material, which is that the overall direction has crawled up its own ass and forgotten to give anyone a reason to care. This would have been tolerable if any of the mechanics were actually better than the previous edition, but 3e takes the same broken horseshit and strips out the passion without adding anything by way of new ideas or a reason to give a shit.

The only memorable part of 3e GttS to me is the sidebar where they explictly disavow Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand. Say whatever else you will about DSotBH; at least someone involved was really excited about it. Vampire 2e had a zeitgeist that embraced this kind of thing and went with it, while Vampire 3e sits back and snidely makes fun of it in a fruitless attempt to seem more 'adult' and 'cool' about the notion of playing pretend.
Longes
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

V20 recanonized the soul-eaters by the way. In their own shitty Black Hand book.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Frank and I will do Guide to the Sabbat 2E.
Trill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe a OSSR of 1e/2e/3e SR? Since we have an "Drunk Review: SR 5e" I think it may be interesting to go over one of the Old-School SR Corebooks and see how they have held up, maybe with explanations of the history behind it. I at least would be interested in it.

Last edited by Trill on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm putting in a request for 2E Drow of the Underdark. I honestly thought I already had, but I can't find it.

Game On,
fbmf

Last edited by fbmf on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Creighton
NPC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to hear someone's take on Underground (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_(role-playing_game)). Never got to read/play it myself, but I was always fascinated by the adds for it in Dragon when I was a kid.
osu
NPC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trill wrote:
Maybe a OSSR of 1e/2e/3e SR? Since we have an "Drunk Review: SR 5e" I think it may be interesting to go over one of the Old-School SR Corebooks and see how they have held up, maybe with explanations of the history behind it. I at least would be interested in it.

I too would be very interested in this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: