OSSR Request Thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

I'd love to see the Den treatment of the old Marvel Super Heroes using the old FASERIP percentile system. Bonus: All of the old material is available free online! http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/
Antumbra
Apprentice

Post by Antumbra »

With CthulhuPunk and Madlands... I'd like to see a couple of the old and popular GURPS settings get the treatment - such as Technomancer or Reign of Steel.

Illuminati University could also be quite amusing.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Was there an OSR of the TMNT Palladium RPG? Anything Palladium really.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I reviewed a RIFTS (TM) Splat Book once.

It was awful.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Antumbra wrote:Illuminati University could also be quite amusing.
That exists? O_o
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I know it's not really possible due to the absurd quantity of content, but nevertheless I humbly requests that someone makes an OSSR for Ptolus. If this hypothetical OSSR would also look into Ptolus' purpose as a testing ground for D&D 3rd edition and if there are any clues left in either the setting or the system as such, I'll make a happy face.
Last edited by Antariuk on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Longes wrote:
Antumbra wrote:Illuminati University could also be quite amusing.
That exists? O_o
Yep, one of the first GURPS books I looked at, I think. It's exactly what it says on the tin, with Phil Foglio illustrations. It'd an entertaining review to say the least.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I want more non-British/America reviews. How about something from Brasil or Mexico or Japan or Russia? I know that the translation gap is sort of an unfair handicap for a rageview, but, if the OSSR tries to be fairly even-handed then I think that people will generally just gloss over it.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'd like to see Wraith oWoD review. People tend to praise it for innovative use of troupe mechanics and interesting plot, but never ever play it.

@Lago. I only know of two russian RPGs: "Age of Aquarius" (Эра Водолея), which is something between anime WoD and Cthulhu tech, and "World of the Great Dragon" (Мир Великого Дракона), which, from the description, seems to be an AD&D hack. I've played neither of them, so there isn't much I can say.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Here's a vote for Wraith oWoD, then. You know what phrase keeps popping up when I hear about this game? 'the best game you'll never play'. Well, let's see if it can handle the title.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Actually, I've downloaded Age of Aquarius, and it seems fun. I'll make OSSR when I have time I'm done with exams.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Longes wrote:I'd like to see Wraith oWoD review. People tend to praise it for innovative use of troupe mechanics and interesting plot, but never ever play it.
Actually the troop mechanics are what destroy Wraith as a "playable" game. You're playing both the self-destructive inner voice of another PC and your PC who has a self-destructive inner voice.

If played RAW there really isn't any party cohesion. It's too difficult to shift gears that constantly.

Official options are to dump all the shadow responsibilities onto one player or get the MC to just do everything. The MC doing everything usually sucks since it's too much really to do to run the game and play 4 or 5 major NPCs.

Anyway I thought we did a discussion of wraith at one point. It might have been a comparison to Geist but it was pretty complete.

Edit: My bad it was Orpheus vs Geist.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I wouldn't mind seeing more GURPS books getting the OSSR treatment.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

TheFlatline wrote:Official options are to dump all the shadow responsibilities onto one player or get the MC to just do everything.
Our group had one player run all the shadows. It works pretty well if you have a player that is into scheming and being a puppet master, and if the group enters into the spirit of it and doesn't hold grudges. Plus the player officially gets to be called "The Shadowmaster" which is pretty boss.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

I would read the hell out of a Star Fleet Universe's Prime Directive or GURPS: Prime Directive OSSR.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I doubt many people have played it but an OSSR on Killer would be interesting.

It's got an old pedigree and is socially probably one of the least acceptable LARP/RPG games out there now, especially since 2001.

I have fond memories of it despite it being one of the 2 LARPS that I've ever had the cops called on us for playing. The Vampire LARP though is what got LARPs banned from being played in downtown though.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

TheFlatline wrote: I have fond memories of it despite it being one of the 2 LARPS that I've ever had the cops called on us for playing. The Vampire LARP though is what got LARPs banned from being played in downtown though.
Sounds like you need to create one or two threads in In The Trenches.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Do we have a thread summarizing the failures of fifth, like we do for Pathfinder?

I'd like to be able to link to a single nice, concise list for those who may not be willing to read through all the old threads.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I'd like to put in a vote for

Dark Ages: Mage and Dark Ages: Mage Grimoire
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Would anyone be interested in a postmortem review of the 4e PHB?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Would anyone be interested in a postmortem review of the 4e PHB?
Nobody would object I suspect, but OSSR I think is usually reserved for books that are around 10 years old or older. 4th ed dropped in 2008.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think 'an edition ago' also qualifies, but not qualifying for OSSR just means you have to do a Drunk Review instead.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I'd been planning to call it a Postmortem, seeing as 4e is pretty dead.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I recently acquired a copy of Green Ronin's d20 adventure "Death in Freeport", the first d20 adventure module ever. With pirates. Anyone interested in a review of this craptastic ENnie award winner? I'd like to try myself at an OSSR.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'm interested. I have all the Freeport books (purchased from a decent Used Bookstore cheap). I've read them and would be curious to get your take.