OSSR Request Thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

This is probably too obscure to be worth it...

"Low Life" is a Savage Worlds campaign setting and the diseased brainchild of author/artist Andy Hopp. You can be the horrifically mutated remains of humanity in a post-post-post-apocalyptic future, or a sentient Twinkie, or something stranger.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

How about Tribe 8 ? Ive always heard good things about this game.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I'd like to see a review of The Empire of the Petal Throne.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

+1 to Empire of Petal Throne.

In the same vein, Id like to see old Chaosium "golden age" products, like Griffin Mountain, Cults of Prax, and Pavis: Threshold to Danger.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I was looking for Indiana Jones Artifacts (the one good book from the IJ RPG) in my boxes of crap, but cannae find it (and, in the past 18+ years, it appears to have become a collector's item.) But in the midst of the delve I did uncover GURPS Illuminati. Anyone interested in me doing an OSSR of that?
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

3e, right? I'd appreciate that, yeah.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

If anyone's interested in some old school Japanese system reviews, I could do Tenra Bansho Zero (gonzo feudal anime fantasy with variable TN dicepool system) or Double Cross (Frank's Fantastic!, but complete and kind of WoD meets RailDex).
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

+1 to Tenra Bansho Zero!
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Honestly, when it comes to a good OSSR the most important thing for me is the reviewer having a good knowledge and interest in the material - being able to tell interesting stories about events surrounding the book, or it's effect on the in-game universe, or behind-the-scenes talk about the creators and how that affected what went on the page all make for fascinating reading. The subject is honestly pretty secondary, I've never read half the books OSSR'd here and probably never will. But an interesting take on the material makes it worth reading anyway.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Red_Rob wrote:Honestly, when it comes to a good OSSR the most important thing for me is the reviewer having a good knowledge and interest in the material - being able to tell interesting stories about events surrounding the book, or it's effect on the in-game universe, or behind-the-scenes talk about the creators and how that affected what went on the page all make for fascinating reading. The subject is honestly pretty secondary, I've never read half the books OSSR'd here and probably never will. But an interesting take on the material makes it worth reading anyway.
Yeah, my experience matches this pretty closely.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

It would be nice to see a review of nWoD: Mirrors. It adds new morality system and some new supernatural templates.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I'd be interested in a Deadlands review.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

My vote is for Gatecrasher, the original book, the FUDGE flavour, or the one supplement, Believe It or Else!.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I'd be curious to see a OSSR of Ars Magica 5th Edition.

I've been playing the game off and on since 1998 and think I have maybe too much attachment to the game to give the kind of sarcastic vitrol yet hilariously funny reviews I've seen of other games that I've enjoyed reading/played. (Exalted 1E, 2E & Scion.)
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

I'd be interested to see that too. I have a massive amount of respect for Ars Magica's system (it actually... wait for it... works) and would be interested to see what people here make of it.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Another vote for Ars Magica. But I would prefer to see one of its earlier editions.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Elves of Evermeet.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Laertes wrote:I'd be interested to see that too. I have a massive amount of respect for Ars Magica's system (it actually... wait for it... works) and would be interested to see what people here make of it.
You're being a little generous. I've never met two people who think that Spontaneous casting works the same way. The guidelines aren't much use when we get away from simple shit like inflicting damage. Even simple bullshit like "I want to grow a horn out of his head." Is that "Muto" or "Rego?" Keep in mind that horns are made of the same material as fingernails, and it is biologically possible for keratin to start growing in a different place than the ends of your fingers.

Back in I guess it must have been 3rd edition, I would simply routinely take the disadvantage where I was shit at spontaneous magic and had a bunch more fixed spells. Not because spontaneous magic was necessarily a bad deal, but because I just didn't want to have the argument that would inevitably happen if I tried to use the spontaneous magic rules.

-Username17
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Why shouldn't an effect be reproducible with different methods, though?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Meikle641 wrote:Why shouldn't an effect be reproducible with different methods, though?
Because the different methods determine what your bonus is on the die roll to do it, and you're doing it "spontaneously," so you have to convince your "storyguide" that your preferred (that is, best bonus) method of pulling off an effect is valid in the middle of the action.

The "horns on the head" example is one which I just pulled out of my ass, and the question of whether or not you can use "Rego" to it hinges on whether or not it is "according to nature" for horns to grow there or not. This is not a simple question, because causing a bare stick to blossom and bare fruit right before your eyes in the middle of winter is an example of something that is within nature. And you have to have this discussion of metaphysics and biology in the middle of your action to determine whether you get a relative +2 on the roll or not.

The issue here is that the limits and extent of the various forms are actually totally incoherent and if you want to get at all creative the basic nonsensical nature of it all comes through. It's a problem. One which I personally solved back in the nineties by just giving up spontaneous magic altogether and getting fixed spells instead because they had less arguments and fuckery.

-Username17
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

"Horns from the head" is a shitty example, but I understand your point. For what it's worth, that's very definitely Muto Corpus Animal.

To be honest, that's not a point I've ever seen become a real problem in play. Even the much vaunted "pink dot" issue is mostly something you hear people whine about online rather than actually see become a serious matter in play. The only issues we've had that have really derailed a game have been:

a) Verditius can be really powerful if the GM wears kid gloves and doesn't play antagonists as being intelligent.

b) The game succumbs to High-Level-itis at high levels (that is, it runs out of credible villains and interesting new things to strive for.)

c) Chaotic Magic. Seriously, that one flaw causes enormous headaches.
Last edited by Laertes on Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Laertes, word of advice:

Frank (and a bunch of other Denners) abhominates the kind of "creativity-promoting" rules seen in games like Ars Magika, Mage, Amber, Over the Edge, etc. If a rule gives any amount of creativity freedom to players regarding game effects, its considered shit around these parts. Its a stylistic preference as any other, but he will try to convince you this opinion of his is some objective truth or something.

Be advised. :wink:
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

silva wrote:Laertes, word of advice:

Frank (and a bunch of other Denners) abhominates the kind of "creativity-promoting" rules seen in games like Ars Magika, Mage, Amber, Over the Edge, etc. If a rule gives any amount of creativity freedom to players regarding game effects, its considered shit around these parts. Its a stylistic preference as any other, but he will try to convince you this opinion of his is some objective truth or something.

Be advised. :wink:
But that's completely wrong. FATE's basics allow a lot of player freedom and it's generally well received here.

What Frank is talking about and what you seem to not understand is there's a difference between having flexible rules for something and making shit up. In a system like oMage or Ars Magica's spontaneous casting, you have to make up what your shit does on the fly, based on some very loose guidelines. This runs into problems when you then have to constantly justify (as a player) or adjudicate (as an MC) each unique rules instance. Fixed spells and rotes remove this need for spot rulings since you know how they work already.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Den dislikes "Whatever, make it up your own self" rules, because, well, we don't need books for that. Wish and Bestow Curse are spells in D&D 3.X with fairly solid guidelines that allow for people to say "Hey, can I do [this] with this spell?" and a DM to look at the book, think a moment, and say "Yeah, sure," or "Ha, no." The guidelines for those two spells may be dumb, but they're not vague, ambiguous, or "whatever, write your rules here, I'm done for the day." The Den only dislikes what Wish allows, not that it allows a great many things.

Rules that are too open, with only vague guidelines, tend to lead to game disrupting arguments. I don't know about Ars Magica, but in Mage "I want this schmuck to grow a horn from his head," is a good example of that, I think. Strictly, Life could do it, but there's really no reason that Matter+Prime couldn't do it. Hell, strictly, there's no reason you couldn't use Matter to heal wounds, and it's just poorly justified role protection that says you can't.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

And it's not so much despised for itself as for its inferiority to MTP.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.