Is the Den obsessed with wanting to say [insert gay slur]?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Libertad
Duke

Is the Den obsessed with wanting to say [insert gay slur]?

Post by Libertad »

We've got not one, but two threads up in here of people asking for the auto-censor to allow them to say the word which rhymes with maggot.

Is this becoming a thing or something? Because it's kind of worrying.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

It makes it more difficult for our Aussie/British friends to talk about their smoking habits.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Is the Den obsessed with wanting to say [insert gay slur]?

Post by Kaelik »

Libertad wrote:We've got not one, but two threads up in here of people asking for the auto-censor to allow them to say the word which rhymes with maggot.

Or you know, two people one of whom is too stupid to look for another thread on the subject does not make a TGD wide thing?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Re: Is the Den obsessed with wanting to say [insert gay slur]?

Post by erik »

Kaelik wrote:
Libertad wrote:We've got not one, but two threads up in here of people asking for the auto-censor to allow them to say the word which rhymes with maggot.

Or you know, two people one of whom is too stupid to look for another thread on the subject does not make a TGD wide thing?
Heh, there's actually a third thread (well, fourth, counting this one) on it from a year ago if we scroll down a bit further even.

The only annoyance I'd have with the filter is if I was referencing a website that had the censored word in the url.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The really dumb part is that it's comically easy to subvert the filter. If people really want to say fag(got), they can. I only consider this appropriate in direct quotations, or the url for the WBC site.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Technically, I wanted to say a word that rhymes with "maggotry". I felt that in common use, it wasn't a slur against homosexuals. Yes, it CAN be used to describe really bad things that are homosexual, but it just refers to things that really suck (I wanted to use it in reference to "Magic of Incarnum", which is not overtly homosexual, it just sucks).

That being said, I am not bothered enough by fbmf's decision to contest it. But I do think a less obnoxious filter wouldn't go amiss.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ted, the problem is not in what to which you use it to refer, it's in the implication that homosexuality is bad. That's why "That's gay" is fucking dumb and makes me want to start stabbing people. It's implying that a perfectly valid sexual choice is somehow inferior. Same with "faggotry"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'll never be able to talk about my ninja pyromancer that leaves burning logs behind when he evades attacks. [Teardrop]

Oh well. Somehow, I'll deal.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ted, the problem is not in what to which you use it to refer, it's in the implication that homosexuality is bad. That's why "That's gay" is fucking dumb and makes me want to start stabbing people. It's implying that a perfectly valid sexual choice is somehow inferior. Same with "faggotry"
My opinion is that having sex with people that aren't me is a clearly inferior choice.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

How about this: it's up to queer folk to determine what is and isn't a slur. If queer people say that the word in question is a slur, and they do, then you shouldn't be saying it, and it deserves to be autocensored.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Ted the Flayer wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Ted, the problem is not in what to which you use it to refer, it's in the implication that homosexuality is bad. That's why "That's gay" is fucking dumb and makes me want to start stabbing people. It's implying that a perfectly valid sexual choice is somehow inferior. Same with "faggotry"
My opinion is that having sex with people that aren't me is a clearly inferior choice.
This is a gem.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Korgan0 wrote:How about this: it's up to queer folk to determine what is and isn't a slur. If queer people say that the word in question is a slur, and they do, then you shouldn't be saying it, and it deserves to be autocensored.
What if I'm offended for other people who don't post on the board? I know quite a few lgbtq people who are offended by the word and its connotations. That kinda does affect me and hurt me by association.

I don't really know if that counts and I can live with it if that sort of secondary offending is not really considered. I am curious how others feel about that?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That particular word is overused to the point of nigh meaninglessness, and over the next fifty years somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if the use as a derogatory word for homosexual ended up with an (archaic) before it in favor of "someone who said or did something that pissed the speaker off, usually on x-box live." How it got started as people's go-to for "god damnit, you're pissing me off," is undoubtably a sad story based on stupid prejudices, but at this point the new usage is standing and spreading on its own, and is really not directly derived from any hate for homosexuals. (Alternatively, society will stop subtly hating homosexuals faster than the definition of that particular word can change, and the association will make people uncomfortable enough to stop using it.)

But anyway: none of that's really relevant in the here or now, because it is still a word that happens to also be a derogative for homosexual in common usage and there are still plenty of homosexuals who would legitimately be outright offended or at the least made uncomfortable by its usage, and there are plenty of other ways to express your general distaste. Finding new and creative ways to state your contempt for things is what the Den's about!

But just for fun, let's bring this discussion closer to home: how does everyone feel about go suck a barrel of cocks?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

It's an action. It's the Den's version of Fuck You. We use that as well but this seems more a den-based idiom. I don't see it as offensive because I'm part of the group but if it was seriously offensive to people for any legitimate reason then we can have the necessary conversation.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That's kind of my point. Hilarious imagery of a barrel full of squawking roosters aside, a literal reading is about performing oral sex on men. But I seriously doubt anyone here has ever said it because they think that's inherently offensive. It is insulting because it is meant to be insulting, not because the concepts the words literally represent are insulting (well, I guess a barrel full of dismembered penii is a pretty gross thing, if you take the barrel of cocks part literally).

People here don't say "go suck a barrel of cocks" because they think performing oral sex on men is a terrible, shameful thing. And it's becoming increasingly true that people who say that particular word also don't do it because they think homosexuality is a terrible, shameful thing. One is more subtle, so people may not even notice the concepts you're using to deliver your particular variety of the statement "I don't care much for what you're saying." One is uncomfortably overt and impossible not to notice, because that particular word still clearly and commonly means homosexual.

I'm not actually calling for a stop to vaguely offensive dennerisms, obviously. The point is simply that sometimes the concepts people use to deliver insults aren't actually insulting, even to the people who say them.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I, personally, believe that "fa**ot" is just a word, and that it only carries the weight that the listener/reader attaches to it.

However, I realize that many people also attach a lot of weight to this particular word, getting it unfiltered is not really all that high on my list of things to have tizzy about.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

DSM: I think there's a difference between stating that you should go do something sexual that either is to your taste or against vs just calling them something that is possibly offensive.

So suck a barrel of cocks is different from go fuck yourself, fa[snip]t.*

*That's the lamest example that I could give but I hope you get the general gist of it.

Shrapnel: words are just words in general except when they have the power to actual hurt someone. That's when words are dangerous. I mean, the rule around the house is that fuck and shit, etc.. is okay. The kids just don't get to say them because of interaction with school and those social mores. But when it's something that's actually hurtful then those words are not just words.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I know that words can hurt; to me at least, words only hurt if you attach the weight and pain to them to make them hurt.

It's just a way of thinking I've developed over the course of my rather short life as way of dealing with all the various insults and verbal assaults that I have endured.

But I can respect the fact that not everyone thinks this way.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Personally I think performing oral sex on a large number of men is a much better use of one's time than shitting up a forum thread. "Go suck a barrel of cocks" is not insulting because of any meaning the phrase itself has, it's insulting because it's dismissive. It is exactly the same as telling someone "go soak your head" (don't think about how similar), it's just more coarse, because we here on the den are terrible thought criminals and deviants.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

DSMatticus wrote:
People here don't say "go suck a barrel of cocks" because they think performing oral sex on men is a terrible, shameful thing.
According to every woman I've ever dated, it is. Never mind there's hell to pay if you don't go down on her, a woman going down on a man is a horrible ordeal.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Yeah, I've noticed oral sex isn't big with the women I've dated as well. It ranges from they hate it to they're uncomfortable with it because of gag reflexes or having something totally alien (to the mouth) in there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

One woman I dated loved it, another hated it due to taste, and the chick I talk to online/text who I met through OKC and would be dating/have dated were it not for the fact that she moved a month before I contacted her loves it, but doesn't swallow. It's a personal preference thing.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

This current thought seems a total deviation from the topic and will probably get fbmf to close this thread. Let's stick to the topic please?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
This thread has served it's purpose.
[/TGFBS]