POKEYMANS thread

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Fuck Japan, man.

There's a new character for Pokken Tournement that's going to be revealed on November 1st, but they aren't going to release it for the Wii U version. How do I know this? Because they've released two other characters for the arcade version already, Darkrai and Scizor, neither of whom have been added to the console version of the game, and most likely never will

I'm probably the only person who gives a shit about Pokken anymore, what with Gen VII coming out in a month and all, but still... fuck Japan and their hard on for not giving me nice things.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Pokken is the best 3D fighting game out there and more fun than smash bros. Maybe we'll get Pokken Championships edition on the Switch
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This month's event pokemon is Genesect. It's being distributed via Gamestop in the states and Germany, and via EB Games in Australia (holy shit, you guys still have EB Games?)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

It's like how Japan still has Tower Records.

Have I mentioned that my Pokedex in X/Y is now well and truly 100% complete because of these events? It makes me such a happy isopod.
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

In just a few hours, Pokemon Sun and Moon will be released. Waiting in line for GameStop to open is not my idea of fun, but my ass is already frozen and I can't move.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Shrapnel wrote:In just a few hours, Pokemon Sun and Moon will be released. Waiting in line for GameStop to open is not my idea of fun, but my ass is already frozen and I can't move.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak wrote:This month's event pokemon is Genesect. It's being distributed via Gamestop in the states and Germany, and via EB Games in Australia (holy shit, you guys still have EB Games?)
Yes. Are you surprised because specifically EBG no longer exists in the US or because actual brick-and-mortar (or cheap-concrete-and-plasterboard) stores dedicated to video games no longer exist in the US? Because the explanation I give will depend heavily on which one you mean, one more positive and less drunk-rage filled than the other.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

EBG specifically. We had those a while, then GameStop rolled over them like a steamroller over a toothpaste tube.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Basically, GameStop hasn't come to Australia. That's... basically the long and short of it. So your array of options includes:
  • The video game aisle in places like Thay-martK-mart, Target and so on - if they have it you can buy it, no ordering things in, pre-orders, returns/trades or anything
  • Occasionally some independent place that isn't part of a chain and probably started as a video rental store* with some Mega Drive** and SNES games on the side, then updated to DVD rental with Playstation games on the side, then saw the death of that on the horizon so adapted in order to stave off defeat for a few more years
  • EB Games, complete with their insane push for pre-orders, trade-ins/pre-owned sales, and disc insurance, and also selling good quality mice, headphones, keyboards and so on, and allegedly selling guides but who the fuck buys those*** when gamefaqs is a thing?
  • GameTraders, which I think might be the only other gaming-based chain. And their big thing is that they sell consoles going back to the 8-bit era. As in, after I had my DS I ended up going there and buying Battletoads for the original Gameboy.
This is the best coverage of the new Sun/Moon Pokemon - as of the leak, so spoilers might still apply?

And by "best" what I *actually* mean is "most Australian".

*Presumably there will be people who are confused as to what these "video rental stores" are, and we'll need to explain the ancient relics known as VHS tapes.
**Genesis in America.
***I actually bought both the massive tomes for 4Gen Pokemon when I first bought a DS. I still can't really say why, but still they're filled with nice art so w/e
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

There are also the crossover stores, I'm thinking mainly JB Hifi, but also Hardly Normal which will do the preorder thing. JB used to (still does?) the "pre-owned" games.
But do people still actually buy games in Australia? There are so many OS options that it seems pretty silly to pay the OZ tax.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well at the very least, Steam has to charge prices in line with actually buying physical shit in a store, as though it's not bad enough putting up with our Internet speeds, and at some point they'll be applying the GST on top of that. I assume smaller, less known sites are fine for paying sensible rates, but I mostly get around it by not playing big expensive games.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Gen 7 is nice so far. It appears that HMs are a thing of the past.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I've gotten to Route 2, and two of my favorite things about the game are that you can go around hatless, and that you can catch a Misdreavus fairly early on (in the graveyard off Route 2, at night).
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've been avoiding all online spoilers to get a fresh look at Moon and it's been a lot of fun.
Shrapnel wrote:I've gotten to Route 2, and two of my favorite things about the game are that you can go around hatless, and that you can catch a Misdreavus fairly early on (in the graveyard off Route 2, at night).
Is that a Sun/Moon exclusive? So far the (I think they're rare) rare pokemon I've found in Moon up to that Route with flying shadows where you reach the other side of the broken bridge are...

* Rattata early on
* Pichu
* Driftblim
* Growlith
* Delibird

It's interesting that you can't get a preview of your haircut/dye, makes getting a hair cut more adventurous. I got a black polo and short shaved sides cut that basically matches how I dress in Chiang Mai.

The grooming/care system is also fun and makes status effects less annoying

Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Finally was able to pick up Pokemon Moon yesterday. Haven't played it a lot, but so far I'm primarily annoyed by the continued lack of a "I have played every generation of pokemon, let me skip the tutorial shit" mode and the fact that the preliminary stuff is ridiculously long.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

OgreBattle wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:I've gotten to Route 2, and two of my favorite things about the game are that you can go around hatless, and that you can catch a Misdreavus fairly early on (in the graveyard off Route 2, at night).
Is that a Sun/Moon exclusive? So far the (I think they're rare) rare pokemon I've found in Moon up to that Route with flying shadows where you reach the other side of the broken bridge are...

* Rattata early on
* Pichu
* Driftblim
* Growlith
* Delibird
Misdreavus only appears at night, in either one of the two patches of grass in the Hau'oli Cemetery. It has a thirty-percent chance of showing up. S'far as I know, this is the same in both versions.

Incidentally, the only Pokemon on that list that I didn't get was Delibird.
Half asleep upon my knee
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I find it hard to believe... have they actually done it? Have they really ended the reign of HM bitches?

I mean sure it looks like they've replaced it with putting on a lycra body stocking mounting up on what looks a bit like some sort of S&M rig and then riding around like a lunatic on a dangerous wall smashing buffalo mutant.

But I'm pretty sure that's just an additional plus.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

HM's are truly a thing of the past; they've been replaced by special riding Pokemon that fulfill the same functions (e.g. you ride a Tauros to smash rocks, ride a Lapras to surf, and you get carried around by a Machamp to move heavy boulders.) It's awesome.

Fly, Surf and Waterfall are now TM 76, 94 and 98, respectively. The others (Strength, Flash, Rock Smash, Dive and Cut) are no longer Machine taught moves.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Got the Misdreavus at night in the graveyard, also met an older lady with her machamp visiting her husband/machamp's trainers grave. The short vignettes in this game are sweet.

Word on the tweets is that other nocturnal pokemon on Melele island are...

-Spinarak around the center of the island
-Ratattatatata in the early routes

Also caught a Bagon at the northeastern water area of Melele you get to through the cave.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I beat the game last night. I love that you become the first ever Alolan champion. I have to say, Sun/Moon may just be the best games since Gen IV.
Half asleep upon my knee
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Y'know, Combee had the EXACT same issue. THE EXACT FUCKING SAME. Right down to the to gender ratio (87.5% male, 12.5% female).
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Is it just me, or does the Alola Gentleman npc trainer class look like Bill Clinton on vacation?

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

After spending an hour fishing for tentacool I found out that you do get random encounters while swimming and tjats how you catch the jellyfish...
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Welp, I caught my first Ultra Beast, the jelly-like Nihilego. Spoilers below:
So, after you beat the Elite Four and become the first-ever champion of Alola, you get an message from a strange man, telling you to go to a motel on Route 8. When you get there, you find that the old man was Looker in disguise, and he introduces you to his boss, a chick named Anabel. She informs you that she and Looker from Interpol (basically) are investigating Ultra Beasts, and that they are looking into reported Beast sightings in the Alola region. After challenging you to a battle, Anabel enlists your help in tracking down the Ultra Beasts. The first one is UB-01 Symbiont, AKA Nihilego, AKA that jellyfish that looks like a hat with long hair. After obtaining some Beast Balls* (no really) from the big boobed matronly Ms. Wicke at the Aether foundation, they tell you that it was sighted in Diglett's Tunnel and Wela Volcano. Basically, it will show up in either of those two spots as a random encounter. You'll know your in the right place if the music for the area is different. You'll want to conserve those Beast balls as much as possible, because there are only a limited number of them (apparently because the cost "millions" to make). However, I caught Nihilego with little trouble. I just had Solgaleo use Crunch and then finished up with Snorlax whamming on it with Hold Back till it was down to 1hp, then threw the ball and let the capture formula work it's mathematic sorcery. You wouldn't think that a weird parasite jellyfish would be Rock/Poison, but it is. Then again, they do come from another world where everything is weird.

*(It is interesting to note that the Beast Balls are unique in that when used on a Ultra Beast, they have a whoppin' x5 capture rate, but when used on non-beasts, they have a whoppin' x0.1 bonus, which basically means they will almost never catch ordinary Pokemon. (For comparison, an Ultra Ball has a x2 bonus. In fact, the only other balls to have a better catch rate, besides a Master Ball, are the Level ball, when used on a Pokemon that is a quarter your level, and the Love ball when used on an opposite gender target, both of which give a x8 bonus, as well as the Quick Ball, which as of Gen VII now has an upgraded x5 bonus when used on the first turn.))
I'm gonna make a team entirely of Beasts, and rain ruination down on upon mine enemies.
Half asleep upon my knee