Time to put down that barrel of cocks.

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

Time to put down that barrel of cocks.

Post by Orion »

I am as far as I know the originator of the "barrel of cocks" meme, or at least the one who popularized it on this board. (I seem to recall that image files were found suggesting the idea has devloped elsewhere independently) I remember why I said it and I stand by it in that context. I'll admit, as a writer I was initially gratified when my phrase seemed to catch on. But But over time my excitement has faded into indifference and then dread. Enough is enough, and it's time to put that barrel of cocks back on the shelf.

Like a lot of posters, I was surprised and pleased to discover the Den's lack of a profanity filter. I quickly embraced those new notes in my register. However, I didn't stay at the Den just out of the exhilration of cussing. I also stayed because of the community standards it implied. What I valued about the Den's freedom of discourse was our ability to communicate clearly, directly, and concisely about matters of controversial opinion. Sometimes swearing was the best way to establish that Fighters fucking suck, that Mearls' design credits are less finished than a 5-week abortion, and reading Apocalypse world made me literally ejaculate with joy and inspiration.

Today, that barrel of cocks that once surged with vigorous creative energy has become the withered center of a flaccid ritual. We have become the Sambia, proffering the barrel to newcomers for no purpose other than initiation into the mysteriess of the Den. The effort to stuff our posts full ever more elaborate obscenities has gone so far that I myself often find a long post difficult to take in; for newcomers, I have no doubt that it makes our actual ideas difficult to swallow.

We all hate on 4chan and Something Awful for their deliberate perpetuation of memes and phrases taht render them unintelligible to outsiders, and the resulting groupthink. It's time we recognized that Den is evolving into its own language, and ask ourselves honestly what functions that language serves.

Put the cock down, and step away from the barrel with your hands up.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Go suck a barrel of cocks
erik
King

Post by erik »

Not sure if should respond seriously or allude to your mom being the originator of sucking a barrel of cocks. Feels bad man.

I'm torn. =-(
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

erik wrote:Not sure if should respond seriously or allude to your mom being the originator of sucking a barrel of cocks. Feels bad man.

I'm torn. =-(
Both of your mothers are tag teaming a barrel between them right now. Oh yeah, suck it harder!
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Kaelik wrote:...the party having even a chance of dying is bad, not good.
:rofl:
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

I try to go out of my way to be as courteous as possible to everyone on the board. I figure that if I can maintain my composure here, I can be a cool guy anywhere.

Also, I think it's hilarious how your point has been proven in like 30 minutes.
High-fives, guys, all around.
PSY DUCK?
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

General Ironicus of Let's Play fame predicted this back in July:
The thing that stands out to me about the gaming den is how they have agreed-upon names for everything they complain about, then list them off as if it's a discussion. They're less than a year from going full Darmok.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Wrathzog wrote:I try to go out of my way to be as courteous as possible to everyone on the board. I figure that if I can maintain my composure here, I can be a cool guy anywhere.

Also, I think it's hilarious how your point has been proven in like 30 minutes.
Hey you, duck boy. Suck a load of dicks.

You do realize we're deliberately being ironic right? You're not actually Stormbringer in disguise, right?
Libertad wrote:General Ironicus of Let's Play fame predicted this back in July:
The thing that stands out to me about the gaming den is how they have agreed-upon names for everything they complain about, then list them off as if it's a discussion. They're less than a year from going full Darmok.
Best. Ninja. Ever.
Last edited by Mr. GC on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Mr. GC wrote:
Best. Ninja. Ever.
Ninja? Is this more Den-speak?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Wrathzog wrote:I figure that if I can maintain my composure here, I can be a cool guy anywhere.
This is so true. The Gaming Den is my vaccine against the Internet.

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Orion wrote:We all hate on 4chan and Something Awful for their deliberate perpetuation of memes and phrases taht render them unintelligible to outsiders, and the resulting groupthink.
We do? I personally hate 4chan and Something Awful (to a much, much lesser lesser extent) because certain subboards promote Internet harassment and push genuinely vile points of view.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Wrathzog wrote:Also, I think it's hilarious how your point has been proven in like 30 minutes.
:highfive:

It seemed like the thing to do, and I thought it was pretty funny too.

Really this thread ought reside in MPSIMS.

Every forum/community everywhere evolves its own language and behavior. Sometimes it draws people in, other times it keeps people out.

This problem was raised a few months ago where people were being unnecessarily rude to newcomers and I think things got better. I think even Kaelik mellowed some (not necessarily because of what people said, just my perception of correlation rather than causation).
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

erik wrote:Really this thread ought reside in MPSIMS.
Concur.

echo
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Libertad wrote:
Mr. GC wrote:
Best. Ninja. Ever.
Ninja? Is this more Den-speak?
Last I checked ninja, meaning someone who posts while you are posting is a general forum term.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Actually I'm talking less about Kaelik's brand of overt hostility than the stuff in the earth/magic thread. I assume people welcoming new posters with "your barrel just arrived, I hope you know what to do" mean no harm and are trying to be friendly, not aggressive, but the extended (and cryptic) cock tangents in every long thread make them incomprehensible to the unenlightened.

EDIT: This is my opinion. It is not mundane or pointless. Technically I could have put it in "about the den" but that would have required me to visit that forum.
Last edited by Orion on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Re: Time to put down that barrel of cocks.

Post by Red_Rob »

Orion wrote:barrel of cocks ... difficult to swallow.
I tried to take your post seriously, I really did...

Honestly, the barrel of cocks meme seems fairly easy to understand and direct. If anything, the extended gameplay metaphors are more confusing and difficult to trace back to their origin. We had a thread dedicated to explaining these a while back.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
K
King

Post by K »

Libertad wrote:General Ironicus of Let's Play fame predicted this back in July:
I enjoy the insult, but he sounds like the kind of ignorant person who complains that doctors don't talk plainly enough and that laws should be one page long.

Specialized fields use specialized language that is often incomprehensible to people who are not familiar with it, and game design is a big enough hobby that it has formed specialized language across dozens of forums.

That being said, a lot of this can be found on Google in like ten seconds and anyone not willing to do that, or even just ask what terms mean, is a willfully ignorant person who should be mocked or ignored.

I also enjoy the irony of his insult using specialized language from Star Trek fandom to insult us for using specialized language.
Last edited by K on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Yeah, what bothers me is less the wording and more the ritual. I struggle to read threads where entire pages get taken up with empty, pro-forming cock-barreling. It's one thing to watch people scream obsceenities in anger-- if there actual vendettas happening at least there'd be some drama. But I have no interest in reading post after post of hollow insults used only out of a tepid sense of obligation.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I forgot I made this:
Thanks, Orion!
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

This put me in mind of the Dr. Dre song. "We got your motherfucking game publisher surrounded, put down the barrel of cocks and let Mister Cavern go..."
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Orion wrote:We all hate on 4chan and Something Awful for their deliberate perpetuation of memes and phrases taht render them unintelligible to outsiders, and the resulting groupthink.
We do? I personally hate 4chan and Something Awful (to a much, much lesser lesser extent) because certain subboards promote Internet harassment and push genuinely vile points of view.
Copy paste this for me except that I didn't know the board hated 4chan.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It's the same thing. Developing their own secret languages is what makes it possible for them to motivate and rationalize their harassment campaigns. Dehumanization 101 is to drape yourself with arbitrary culturall markers of in-group status.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Orion wrote:It's the same thing. Developing their own secret languages is what makes it possible for them to motivate and rationalize their harassment campaigns. Dehumanization 101 is to drape yourself with arbitrary culturall markers of in-group status.
Fellatio jokes aside, anyone that calls "suck a barrel of cocks" a secret language with an obtuse meaning is either named one of Shadzar/Stormbringer/Sacrosanct or is at least as stupid as they are.

It would be like calling praise the sun obscure. Everyone knows what those words mean even if they are not often used together and everyone knows what they mean together.

I understand what you're getting at but you're doing a very bad job of getting the point across. In fact... you blow at this job. :cool:
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

MGuy wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Copy paste this for me except that I didn't know the board hated 4chan.
Everyone hates 4chan, even 4chan
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

I actually prefer 4chan to SA simply due to the fact that website that relies on banning for revenue will never be fair to its users.
Last edited by Dominicius on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Orion wrote:It's the same thing. Developing their own secret languages is what makes it possible for them to motivate and rationalize their harassment campaigns. Dehumanization 101 is to drape yourself with arbitrary culturall markers of in-group status.
Ugh. Jargon is not a secret language. It is specialized language. Specialized terms are necessary for discussing specialized topics. It is not dehumanizing to use jargon.

Your argument as flavored with a dash of hyperbole:

If jargon, then Nazis!