Sandbox World Generator

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

YahziCoyote
NPC

Sandbox World Generator

Post by YahziCoyote »

Sandbox World Generator

It generates a continent and puts monsters and kingdoms on it. The monsters can be configured via a CSV file; the kingdoms use the guidelines in my game supplement Lords of Prime, but as long as you can accept that larger kingdoms have higher level rulers, you don't need that to use it.

It's written for 3.5E, along with Lords of Prime (creating and running kingdoms), Merchants of Prime (stuff to buy), and Generals of Prime (an army system that attempts to use only existing rules).

I solved certain problems in an interesting way: XP is a tangible resource, harvested from sentient beings. This means a fief of peasants is a valuable resource, in that it can produce the one thing everyone wants - levels. It also solves the Shadowclypse, puts a functioning limit on magic items, explains why killing goblins makes you a better craftsman, justifies murder hoboes/dungeons/people-eating monsters while constraining them to something reasonable, and empowers player agency.

But again, you can ignore all that if you don't like it, and just use the program to whip up a sandbox world.
Sword of the Bright Lady - Flintlock Fantasy
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'd look at it, but I don't want to create a DriveThruRPG account. How big is file? Upload to Google Files?
YahziCoyote
NPC

Post by YahziCoyote »

Ikeren wrote:I'd look at it, but I don't want to create a DriveThruRPG account. How big is file? Upload to Google Files?
I don't want to have multiple places to update; plus, there's several documents that go with it.

But if you PM me your email address I'll just send you a zipped copy. It's 1.3 mb.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Thanks, downloading it now
YahziCoyote
NPC

Post by YahziCoyote »

OgreBattle wrote:Thanks, downloading it now
I'm pretty sure the next feature I add will be labels, so you can put text on the map. Also, it needs roads, but that's a bit harder.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I like the Dominions/Earthdawn themed "Dominion Lords" idea this app uses to establish high-level power centres.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
YahziCoyote
NPC

Post by YahziCoyote »

Judging__Eagle wrote:I like the Dominions/Earthdawn themed "Dominion Lords" idea this app uses to establish high-level power centres.
The original 1E talked about the followers you got when you built a stronghold at 9th level. Ever since then, there have been so many attempts to make that work.

What I like about mine is that it sticks very close to the raw source. (My Generals of Prime tries to do that with mass combat, too). The problem I had with Kingmaker, et. al. is that they introduced new mechanics that had their own flaws, but worse, did not organically reproduce the world as it was experienced at the individual level.

In my system the most common and arguably most effective form of government... is an adventuring party. :cool:

Edit: Just realized you're talking about the domain lords, not the individual kingdoms. Ya, the idea is that around level 15 you should be travelling on a map marked in 100 mile squares, not 10. You're only fighting bosses then. And when you get to 1,000 mile squares, then you're fighting big bosses. After that you gotta move to the planes.
Last edited by YahziCoyote on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

How do I get to see the application's data on smaller kingdoms? Whenever I clicked on the red-bordered & red-filled squares I see an indicator of what I assume is a population breakdown by factions (e.g. Imperial, Colonist).

The colour-coded alignments are also an interesting technique. Although I'm not sure making "Black", "Red" and "Yellow" some of the evil alignments, and "White" one good alignments is all that great of an idea.

I couldn't find any other source for the name used for the Horrors (Hjerne-spica) other than a trio of fantasy novels by M.C. Planck, which are also used in this d20 supplement: http://worldofprime.weebly.com/the-game.html

Edit: Found out how to zoom in the map tiles. I like how the world map shows "hot spots" of civilization that can be focused in on. As well as the fact that even "Domain Overlords" don't actually have pervasive control of the regions closest to theirs, even in the smallest scale maps. While it's cities & populations that establish any form of "sphere of influence."
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
YahziCoyote
NPC

Post by YahziCoyote »

Judging__Eagle wrote: (e.g. Imperial, Colonist).
That's actually break-down by density.
Although I'm not sure making "Black", "Red" and "Yellow" some of the evil alignments, and "White" one good alignments is all that great of an idea.
That did occur to me... about a decade too late. Oops.
I couldn't find any other source for the name used for the Horrors (Hjerne-spica) other than a trio of fantasy novels by M.C. Planck
Ya, that's me. :) Book 4 will be published in April. There's an ad for the books in the About box of the program, but I guess nobody ever looks at that.
"Domain Overlords" don't actually have pervasive control of the regions closest to theirs, even in the smallest scale maps. While it's cities & populations that establish any form of "sphere of influence."
The way I figure it, the domain overlords still operate off of the hunter-gather mode. They go out and kill stuff when it gets too big or they get too hungry.

Civilizations would periodically weed out anything too close to them. From the overlords' view this looks like over-fishing. On the other hand it's a nice excuse for why low-ranks can have adventures. :D