Darkest Night Released

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Darkest Night Released

Post by Manxome »

My board game Darkest Night is now officially published! You can order it here.

For those who haven't seen it before (or who have forgotten), this is a fully-cooperative game where a band of fantasy heroes fight a guerilla war to defeat a necromancer who has just conquered their kingdom. It's a bit like Arkham Horror.

There are nine playable characters, each with their own deck of power cards granting them unique abilities and different playstyles.

I posted a print-and-play version of the game here a LOOOONG time ago...it's gone through a number of refinements since then (and acquired some amazing artwork).

There are downloadable rules, a preview article, and other promotional stuff available from the product page.

EDIT 12 May 2016: Just in case anyone is seeing this for the first time, we are currently Kickstarting a second edition of the board game:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56 ... -edition-0
Last edited by Manxome on Thu May 12, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Congratulations!
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

Heartfelt congratulations, Manxome.

echo
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Congrats, Manxome! :thumb:
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Congrats, mate.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Good job, brother!
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'm gonna buy this for myself for Christmas. It looks awesome.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Congratulations!
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Darkest Night looks nice, good luck with it!
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

AVS sucks donkey balls.
Edit: Paypal worked!
Last edited by Starmaker on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Wow, the art is gorgeous. I'd buy this if I had money.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Congrats!
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

I'm reasonably sure I said congrats when it was first picked up, but congratulations again on getting it so nicely published.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

My copy of Darkest Night just showed up in the mail. Looks nice. Planning to play a game this weekend.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Artwork is great, turns play really fast, which is nice for avoiding off-turn boredom. The 'puzzle' board is definitely worth it. But the rules are really confusingly organized.

A few more points:
[*]I haven't gotten to use any artifacts yet, probably because I haven't been searching in the right place.
[*]There is some nice synergy between specific characters (e.g. prince and thief), which is fun to figure out.

P.S.
In the printed version, the dynamic range is compressed, and it looks like the only dark-skinned character is the necromancer. Something to consider correcting, if possible.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Played through with 3 people earlier today. The necromancer kept generating zombies that all got rendered useless by a rune the Wizard laid down at the beginning of the game. We decided to pretend that the zombies were too busy dancing to cause trouble, and that the necromancer couldn't bear to spoil their fun. Still, things were looking pretty grim when people realized the first half-dozen turns had been mostly wasted.

Game culminated with the prince sacrificing his life to bring the knight the 2 keys he needed to dig up a relic in the mountains and get a net +2 to highest roll fighting the necromancer. Won via combat in the mountains while the darkness counter was at 27.

Fun was had all around, and one person asked me to bring the game up to his dorm next weekend so some of his friends could try it.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Victory Point Games is having a Cyber Monday sale tomorrow--10% off everything with the coupon code Great_Gifts (case sensitive).

Darkest Night has reached the top of their 60-day sales chart (which is perhaps not surprising for a game that came out 58 days ago, but is still satisfying; it may already have passed my previous two games combined in lifetime sales).
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Does VPG do demo copies? My FLGS has a game night on Wednesdays that routinely draws 50+ people. They happily take demo copies form publishers, and order stock based on what's popular. Plus, I've been too broke to buy Darkest Night yet, so it would be cool to play it there.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

I don't think there's an official policy on that. If the store emails AlanEmrich@victorypointgames.com they may be able to work something out.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Finally got a copy! Questions:

How does Corruption interact with the Seer's prophecies? If the seer is in a corrupted location, she can't activate them, I assume. If she enters the Corrupted zone during her turn, does she retain the bonus? Again, I would assume not. What if the Seer is in the monastery, and uses a prophecy on another character who is in a Corrupted location. Strict construction of the blight's wording suggests that the other hero retains the prophecy's benefits.

Also: Can an Acolyte activate shadow veil (to suppress blights) in a location that has Corruption?

Also: Do Divine Right and other default-grace boosters grant bonus grace when you gain them?

EDIT: Can you stack multiples of the same blight in one location? It feels like you shouldn't, but I can't find a rule against it. Then again, I'm also failing to find the rule for when you run out of tokens for a blight type, which I know is in there, so I'm clearly missing something.
Last edited by Orion on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Heroes at the same location as a Corruption lose their "bonus" powers. They can still benefit from the bonus powers of heroes at other locations. Thus, a Seer in the same spot as a Corruption can't use her Prophecies (even on other heroes), but a Seer at a spot with no Corruption can use her Prophecies on a hero that is at a spot with Corruption.

Corruption prevents the use of Dark Veil, though if you use Dark Veil at a location with no Corruption and then move to a location that has one, I would allow Dark Veil to remain in effect (until the end of the turn, as normal).

You don't automatically gain grace when your default grace is increased (nor do you automatically lose grace when your default grace is reduced, even if it is reduced to a value that is below your current grace). Your default grace only matters when praying or when a card specifically refers to it.

You can have multiples of the same blight in one location. Their effects are cumulative (e.g. if there are 2 skeleton blights, you need to combat each separately at the end of your turn).

The rules for running out of blight tokens of a particular type are on page 10 (rule 12.1): you draw another map card (and if you draw 3 in a row without finding a blight you can use, you just pick one--a rarely-used rule, but necessary because you can theoretically have a situation where you are out of every blight that can normally appear at a given location).
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

By the way, we're about to start beta testing of the first expansion, With an Inner Light. Test kits are supposed to go out this week, but you can probably still sign up if you want.

And the Nymph promo just went live in the BoardGameGeek store today! (They've got a 6-month exclusive on it as part of an advertising deal, so you can only get it from them.)
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I saw that a new edition of Darkest Night will be kickstarted soon. Excited to see this become part of VP's main line of games!
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Here's the announcement, if anyone else wants to read it:
http://www.victorypointgames.com/news/d ... d-edition/
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Sounds awesome! Darkest Night has intrigued me for a while now (wallet has been thin, though), so a Kickstarted second edition sounds like a great opportunity to get into it. Let us know when it starts, will you?