Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies World

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Foxwarrior
Duke

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies World

Post by Foxwarrior »

Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies World is an epic fantasy adventure about this:
Except with that idea that no matter what you do, there's just more layers of trap.

This is a game for one Rock Master and one or more Players. To begin: each Player picks a character from the set of all characters that have been, will be, or could be imagined, then the Rock Master describes the scene: "You enter a dungeon, with alcoves every twenty feet to either side of a long corridor. At the end of the corridor is a door: when you open the door, a boulder comes rushing towards you. Everyone make a Saving Throw!" Then Players take turns making Saving Throws until everyone has died.

To make a Saving Throw, you say how your character avoids their imminent demise, and then roll. If the roll fails, your character dies. If the roll succeeds, the Rock Master describes how the action saves your life, but leads to future danger that will kill you if you don't make a Saving Throw.

Rolls in this game use the proprietary Leaking Dice Pool system: At the beginning of the game, each player has ten six-sided dice. Whenever a player rolls (by making a Saving Throw), the roll succeeds (With A Cost) if any of their dice come up with a number higher than 1, and fails, resulting in death, otherwise. Then the dice pool leaks: if the player rolled any multiples, remove all but one of the multiples. So if you roll three threes and two fives, you'd succeed (With A Cost) and then discard two threes and one five, leaving you with only two dice for future rolls.
Last edited by Foxwarrior on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I'm uncertain as to what the social commentary behind this thread is. But I know it's there.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

It's the culmination of a discussion about that image.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Seems like you could choose to roll d100s and that would help a lot.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Hey, I did catch that and specify "six-sided dice"
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

So, prototype material for Bearworld 2?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:I'm uncertain as to what the social commentary behind this thread is. But I know it's there.
Giving what's going on in the world right now... I'd say living in America.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Dogbert wrote:So, prototype material for Bearworld 2?
This is all the crunch, just need to add two hundred pages of fluff and text that seems like meaningful rules but isn't and we'll be ready to print.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Eh, what you really need is one obvious in hindsight solution that avoids all the traps players can figure out after a zillion failed attempts to really rub it in.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

We are now playing this in another forum I'm on. I'm the Rock Master. Game starts tomorrow.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

If the PC's have lighter skin and more British cultural tropes than the savage rock rollers, they survive
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

You roll your saving throw to be British through and through... and whoops, you failed, turns out you lived in France for a year once so you die.