The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Why not weird systems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cervantes
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Why not weird systems? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Super vague topic here but:

A majority of dialogue here focuses on systems with DMs restricted by rules that serve as a social contract. What alternatives are there to this (e.g. DM-less) and how do they succeed or fail?
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why not weird systems? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cervantes wrote:
Super vague topic here but:

A majority of dialogue here focuses on systems with DMs restricted by rules that serve as a social contract. What alternatives are there to this (e.g. DM-less) and how do they succeed or fail?

Well the simplest I'm aware of is Munchausen. I tell a story until you decide you want to jump in, then you say "That's not how I remember it..." and then you propose an alternate story, and if people agree your bit is better you keep talking until someone else wants to jump in. If you can't agree whose story bit is better, you play rock paper scissors. There's a thing with bidding tokens in order to make challenges, but if you have people mature enough to not just challenge over and over until they beat rock with paper you don't even need it.

Then you got games like Eldritch Horror, where the villains are purely scripted and there are cards, die rolls, and charts that determine what the bad guys do. The players are all on equal narrative footing because none of them are the MC.

-Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: