Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Blicero wrote: Quick googling found this, I am sure a lot more out there.
http://chaoticshiny.com/motivegen.php
My second result from that generator:
This character is motivated by compassion and twisted bloodlust. The first motive is the most relevant.
Heh. I'm going to have to play around with this, some. While that looks like it should strictly be a contradiction, the use of the word "twisted" leaves some wiggle room for ideologies that preach compassion while encouraging hatred and bigotry. I know some people like this.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It said twisted bloodlust, nothing about hatred and bigotry. They're a conflicted individual trying to remain compassionate in the face of their love of killing people violently. So maybe they try to murder people in a fast, relatively painless, humane way (with a lot of bloodshed - I imagine rapid decapitation is reasonably fast and pain-free, or an ice pick straight to the temple. Frank, your professional opinion?)

Or they go around looking for people who wish to be euthanised and then do it. With a chainsaw.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm thinking more like this
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

This generator is great.
This character is motivated by mild paranoia, self-hatred and feigned bloodlust. They assume all others have the same motives.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Sounds like Jason Whitlock.
bears fall, everyone dies
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

name_here wrote:I'm thinking more like this

That scene, has some genuinely great animation, and then simultaneously some of the laziest editing tricks to cut down on frames. It's- weird.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

darkmaster wrote:
name_here wrote:I'm thinking more like this

That scene, has some genuinely great animation, and then simultaneously some of the laziest editing tricks to cut down on frames. It's- weird.
Gotta cut corners somewhere.

Also RobbyPants' result sounds like Dokuro-chan to me.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I am told it is a stylistic choice to give the fight scenes a surreal, dreamlike quality.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I'm watching Thor the Dark World (because On Demand is broken and Comcast is shit, but TtDW is recorded, so it works) and... I was going to say that I'm once again struck by how the antagonist race is just space-drow, but checking what they're called, they are literally space elves.

Could a new Spelljammer edition work/sell? Maybe if it was written to cash in on the imagery and concepts Marvel is using for it's space fantasy stuff?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Prak wrote:Could a new Spelljammer edition work/sell? Maybe if it was written to cash in on the imagery and concepts Marvel is using for it's space fantasy stuff?
Pathfinder incorporates a bunch of spelljammer-like material, so there's certainly an interest in using space in high fantasy. Not sure if there's enough interest for something like that to go standalone.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I know nothing about SW:SAGA edition. How would I make a decent 9th level character that deals in sith sorcery and sith alchemy?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mechalich wrote:
Prak wrote:Could a new Spelljammer edition work/sell? Maybe if it was written to cash in on the imagery and concepts Marvel is using for it's space fantasy stuff?
Pathfinder incorporates a bunch of spelljammer-like material, so there's certainly an interest in using space in high fantasy. Not sure if there's enough interest for something like that to go standalone.
I haven't seen any yet, what kind of stuff are they incorporating?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

There aren't spelljamming helms per se, but all of the planets have brief write-ups with more attention paid to what is cool rather than what would be viable. There are aliens available to play at level 1, and it's strongly implied that Elves are actually aliens from the next planet inward. There's the crashed spaceship in Numeria and the various gates the elves built that lead to other planets (some of which still work).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

The big Pathfinder space thing is the Distant Worlds book. Its more planetary gazetteer than Spelljammer setting, but it's obviously a step in the direction of having D&D in space. They do have a selection of 'in space' monsters as well, with a number in Bestiary 4.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

I was reading the article on constructs in the Book of Gears, and I was wondering. Is the new construct type supposed to have a con score or not?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Wiseman wrote:I was reading the article on constructs in the Book of Gears, and I was wondering. Is the new construct type supposed to have a con score or not?
3rd edition rules work a lot better if Constructs have Constitution scores.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I kind of like the concept of the Pact Adept, it's just marred by shitty execution. The same can be said about a lot of things of course, and there's generally an easy solution to that. But if remade Tome style, which way would be better for handling the vestiges?

1. Write up the powersets (and quirks) for a bunch of Outsiders, Dead Gods, Mysterious Forces and whatever. Keep them thematic for the vestiges in question, tailored generally to doing a specific bunch of things - so someone who adopts the Vestige of Myrkul becomes a kind of Necromancer for the day, and someone who adopts the Vestige of Mephistopholes becomes strong and can throw fire and ice around.

2. Do the ever-popular recent-ish thing where you choose the parts of a vestige piecemeal (so select one scaling bonus and one activated ability, then as you gain levels each vestige gets more activated abilities) then roll for a random identifying trait on a silly table. This means less work from a design perspective and more customisation in the hands of the player. And a silly table to roll on.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Koumei, either would be awesome - given that you're meant to be able to create your own for the existing class (per the web design article), I'd lean towards the build-a-bear option.

I'd also love you forever* if you did either of these things, because Binder is my favorite class, and I'm aware it sucks fail through a straw :(.

*platonic internet love, ofc.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I vote for silly tables.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

All else being equal, hand-crafted content is preferable to procedural generation. I do not agree, however, that in this case, the two are or should be mutually exclusive. The best method would be to produce a suite of lovingly rendered prix-fixe menus for notable patrons and ability-sets with components you don't particularly want on a random table, but to accompany it with a procedural method for opportunistically invoking lesser entities. I think this has positive ramifications.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

So, is there any logical reason for a Vampire: The Masquarade character to refrain from Blood Bonding Hillary Clinton?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

There is a risk that the Secret Service would take it amiss if you tried.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

hyzmarca wrote:So, is there any logical reason for a Vampire: The Masquarade character to refrain from Blood Bonding Hillary Clinton?
Can you blood bind someone who's already been blood bound? Because I can't imagine any of the presidential candidates are still up for grabs this late in the race in VtM.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

hyzmarca wrote:So, is there any logical reason for a Vampire: The Masquarade character to refrain from Blood Bonding Hillary Clinton?
An elder vampire has already done so.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Yes, the Technocracy kills you if you try.

In oWoD, all those Secrete Service details that candidates get come with at least one MiB onboard, and quietly probably a fully enlightened NWO Agent whose mind control is simply better than yours. They are equipped with scanners to detect both vampires and ghouls and anyone who approaches too close will be tagged and monitored. Try anything stupid, and you'll get a face full of incendiary ammunition.

Generally, when it comes to the oWoD the 'reason' behind why any seemingly obvious massively destabilizing event hasn't occurred is the Technocracy - its the in-universe card the GM gets to pull when they need to say no to setting-shattering ideas.