General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

To be fair, Batman basically upgraded to Iron Man for that scene. The fact that Batman isn't running around in Iron Man armor all the time is just him sandbagging himself for his usual foes, which are muggers and mentally unhinged comedians.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

vagrant wrote:Anecdotally, I was talking to a friend back in Virginia, who says that he was more or less forced to buy the 5e books because no one plays anything else anymore. (At least not in W&M, Harrisonburg, or VCU.)
I may have taken the last 3.5 game out of Harrisonburg with me. Your friend isn't missing much, I'm not exactly good at gaming.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Found the bio of a real-life D&D adventurer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christman_Genipperteinga

As he killed 964 people, how much exp would he have gotten, assuming they are commoners with a level spread expected of that number.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Prak wrote:No, generally players are going to complain about being told to "play this thing, call it this other thing."
That Frank quote about denyjng people their fervent wishes because they are stupid and insane is apropos here. In that case, just do what hyz said: Pick a system, install cross-splat magic bullshit transparency and count down the sessions before it degenerates into butthurt and futility.

It's been said numerous times that the oWoD splats don't play well with each other and to have a crossover game that makes mechanical sense you have to pick one game and stick with it, so I don't know what you wanted from us other than the absolute obvious.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

OgreBattle wrote:Found the bio of a real-life D&D adventurer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christman_Genipperteinga

As he killed 964 people, how much exp would he have gotten, assuming they are commoners with a level spread expected of that number.
In 3.x, XP is dependent on your level relative to the CR of the opponent. In 2nd edition, I think most humans were 15 or 25 XP. Assuming 25 XP each, that's 24,100 XP which according to a quick search would put him at 6th level for a Thief (Filcher). Though he'd need 42,500 to advance to 7th level and his statement of needing '34 more kills' sounds a lot like he was close to leveling.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mask_De_H wrote:
Prak wrote:No, generally players are going to complain about being told to "play this thing, call it this other thing."
That Frank quote about denyjng people their fervent wishes because they are stupid and insane is apropos here. In that case, just do what hyz said: Pick a system, install cross-splat magic bullshit transparency and count down the sessions before it degenerates into butthurt and futility.

It's been said numerous times that the oWoD splats don't play well with each other and to have a crossover game that makes mechanical sense you have to pick one game and stick with it, so I don't know what you wanted from us other than the absolute obvious.
Look, I know that the optimal answer is "don't do that," and if I decide to give Vampire a try and people start piping up with other splats they want to play, I'm going to start with "no, that's a terrible idea, one splat hardly plays well with itself," but if it becomes the difference between playing and not, then I'd rather try to get vampires and werewolves, or whatever, to work in the same game than not play at all, or play Star Wars under a GM who doesn't run in my style.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
bears fall, everyone dies
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I have a vague recollection that the Mind's Eye LARP stuff played better in general and cross-splat specifically than the regular systems. You could give that a look.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Aaaand sigged.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There was a "What class is good for you" thread on here before, anyone have the link saved.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

If one were going to do a vampire the Masquarade pulp sci-fi space opera mashup using GURPS VtM and some other GURPS game, which GURPS space settiing would be the best to go with?

I was thinking Prime Directives, but that's a lot of effort to learn the differences between the Starfleet Battles universe and the canon trek one.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Tales of the Solar Patrol.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Anyone ever read or know anything about World's Largest Dungeon? Is it the same thing as Biggest Damn Dungeon or what the hell ever its called? I have access to a potentially free dead tree copy, but I'm wondering if the time investment of reading through it is worth it.

Game On,
fbmf
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

fbmf wrote:Anyone ever read or know anything about World's Largest Dungeon? Is it the same thing as Biggest Damn Dungeon or what the hell ever its called? I have access to a potentially free dead tree copy, but I'm wondering if the time investment of reading through it is worth it.

Game On,
fbmf
Biggest Damn Dungeon is a parody of the World's largest dungeon. I have read through it many years ago. It's useful if you want maps since it can be broken up into smaller dungeons there are a couple of new monsters in it but nothing noteworthy, it also contains every monster from the SRD in the dungeon. If you can it for free, might as well. The product really seems like a project of how to do the least amount work for the biggest profit since it apparently was the most expensive rpg book at the time.

RPGMP3 had a campaign that ran through it:
http://www.rpgmp3.com/ipb/files/categor ... ragons-35/

I used it when I was working on my project Nethack d20.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

fbmf wrote:Anyone ever read or know anything about World's Largest Dungeon? Is it the same thing as Biggest Damn Dungeon or what the hell ever its called? I have access to a potentially free dead tree copy, but I'm wondering if the time investment of reading through it is worth it.

Game On,
fbmf
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-an ... t-dungeon/
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So, how large is the world's largest dungeon in in-game dimensions? Size of San Francisco, bigger?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Game On,
fbmf
It's pretty fucking shit. It claims to have every single monster in the SRD, but then doesn't and explicitly uses like, one golem to represent all golems or whatever, which is pathetic, because it repeats the same monsters over and over and over.

My joke from playing it is "Worlds Largest Darkmantles" because the intro area was like "Fight Fiendish Darkmantles over and over forever." (There were also some swarms and a level 3 Wizard who cast a spell that the book tells you no one should ever cast).

The specifically call out Web as a spell you should never let the PCs choose, and they say that they never use it (hey, aren't Areana's in the SRD?) but then they have a Kobold Wizard cast it on the party in the very first area, you could be facing this at level 1, and then you have a spellbook with Web in it right in front of you...

Basically, on almost every level it is absolutely garbagly written trash.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

On the other hand, it's going for $140 on amazon right now, so there is profit in it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Man, and I had the opportunity to buy like three of them for $10 at a book store when it was on ultra-getthiscrapouttamystore-clearance.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

I've actually ran part of the World's Largest Dungeon. Only part of it, because it is boring as all fuck. Like Kaelik said, the intro is all fiendish darkmantles, and that sets the pace- every area is just the same creatures spammed over and over with little variety, no noteworthy quests or fun NPCs or any kind of motivation, just boring grind all the way through.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Sounds like stringing together all of the "Same Game Test" encounters into one mega dungeon would be more entertaining.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

OgreBattle wrote:Sounds like stringing together all of the "Same Game Test" encounters into one mega dungeon would be more entertaining.
Your party stands before the Dungeon of Guy Fawkes, bloodied from their encounter with the manticore as they travelled over the rolling hills and fought off the Centaur twins through the woods. The door to the dungeon is locked, with a camouflaged pit in front of it and lathered in glyphs of warding, curses, snake sigils, and even a lightning bolt to blast your now poisoned dart riddled body should the thief fail at their job. Past the door is the throne room with a tasteful, 20' statue of a former king standing over it; which reveals itself to be animated and hostile. Through the next room is the forge room, where a large fire elemental works the bellows. Beyond that is the sand storage room (for the forge's flux), where a basilisk has taken to nesting. In the back of this room is the entrance to a cavern, where several howler statues reside, and further down is an entire cavern network. Within these tunnels is a set of grimlocks wearing amulets to Hextor, ready to attack anyone for their meat. At the lowest point of the cavernous network is another great iron door, guarded by a phase spider. Behind this door is a great hall dedicated to Hextor, where a howler and allip stalk the pews. The altar has a poorly hidden lever to reveal a secret passage way to the crypts, where a Cleric of Hextor is working on finishing the last of clothing repairs to the dozen-or-so zombies for an upcoming congregation.

And within this crypt, so far deep underground, is a spiral staircase that goes straight to the surface. The entrance to this staircase has been hidden by the permanent image of a tree with an additionally permanent magic aura to hide the fact it's magical.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Game On,
fbmf
I was reviewing it while reading through a while ago. The big takeaways are that Jim Pinto hates rogues and that "Every Monster in the SRD!!!" does not, in any way, actually mean "every monster in the srd."
Last edited by Prak on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

A list of infinite things
-The Universe
-Human Stupidity
-The number of zubats in Dark Cave
-The number of fiendish darkmantles in World’s Largest Dungeon.
Made my day.

Is there anyway to read that that actually sorts and includes everything and isn't a pain to read?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.