Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Does earth glide (and ice glide) allow you to to phase through stone/ice based attacks like you can phase through normal stone. Say someone shoots a sling bullet at an earth elemental? Would they be immune to it?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

standard sling bullets are lead, at least IRL. The SRD even says that stones aren't as dense as bullets, so it fits.

"You can hurl ordinary stones with a sling, but stones are not as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed for a creature one size category smaller than you and you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls."
Last edited by Meikle641 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Interesting fact, but doesn't actually answer my question. How about stones thrown by a giant? Or a stalagmite spell or something that uses what they can glide through to attack?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think that's going to have to be DM MTP decision, I doubt there's a rule on that anywhere.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

I think that's going to have to be DM MTP decision, I doubt there's a rule on that anywhere.
This. Or, strictly speaking the answer is "no" because abilities do what they say they do, and Earth Glide makes no mention of working as a defense, only for movement. Personally I'd rule that Earth Glide is an act of will (Elementals don't just fall through the ground after all) and an Elemental could ignore attacks from stone weapons by readying an action to do so.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I'd probably say it's a move action to earth glide and it would require the elemental to ready that.

And then they could also just ready a move action to drop into the ground to avoid the attack.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

There's reasonable rulings either way. I'd point out that a fly speed doesn't make you immune to an air elemental's slam attack, so movement modes don't by themselves make you immune to the medium they allow you to move through.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

After reading the OSSR for Tome of Magic, I want to know what if anything could have been done to make a skill-based magical system work. Is that just a TOTAL non-starter in a level-based d20 system or could their be some way for it to be worthwhile?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Not really. To quote Frank from that thread:
FrankTrollman wrote: See, any skill system it is possible to have is either going to have a 1:1 correspondence with level or it isn't. Those are literally the only two options. And if your skill system is exactly the same as levels, shifting spellcasting from level to skill is pointless. While if your skill system isn't exactly the same as levels, then setting spellcasting to “not levels” makes it broken. There's no middle ground possible. The Truename Magic was fucked from a conceptual level long before they handed it to C-listers to try (and fail) to make something out of.
To maybe illustrate the point better, depending on how your character is built their effective skill - with all appropriate bonuses and/or magic items - can be huge. Right off the RNG. This doesn't sound too bad from a min-maxing perspective, but it means that you can have characters who punch significantly above their weight class, because skills aren't particularly valued in d20 and skill boosts tend to be plentiful. There are psionic items which casually thrown around a +10 bonus, for example - that's effectively a five level boost.

So how do you keep PCs and NPCs from punching above their weight class? Well, you can set a level limit to their abilities - as Truenamers did, by limiting at what level they could get certain utterances and crap - but then you're effectively back to just having skill == level. Or you can fiddle with the DCs to account for the munchkindom, in which case you're again trying to set skill == level, you've just nerfed the DCs along an imaginary munchkin curve that may or may not conform to reality. Truenaming in ToM tried to do both, and ended up completely unable to achieve pretty much any of its aims.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Frank's specific argument there is bad though - spellcasting already has a non-1:1 relation with levels. It doesn't even have a k:1 relation; it's on some sort of curve. So, transitioning spellcasting to skill is not pointless as argued, and setting it to "not levels" is the status quo.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

fectin wrote:Frank's specific argument there is bad though - spellcasting already has a non-1:1 relation with levels. It doesn't even have a k:1 relation; it's on some sort of curve. So, transitioning spellcasting to skill is not pointless as argued, and setting it to "not levels" is the status quo.
Frank seems to be talking about 1:1 correspondences in the sense of bijections, not in the sense of the identity function. For any given spellcasting class, there is a unique class level associated with gaining access to a given spell level. And nothing you do can change that.
Last edited by Blicero on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

The interesting trick you can pull off with non-level powers isn't really worth it.

You can cap all power chains by character level, and then people can choose to take less level-cap powers in exchange for lower-level stuff which is still somehow useful. Instead of 3 capped skills, you can take 2 capped, and ever more low level utility stuff, at your option. Mutants & Masterminds does that, IIRC.

That's got very little to do with the default d20 skill system though, which has both an unlimited number of skills per character and extremely friable caps. 3e Fighters and Monks also say that any number of low-level abilities are always going to end up being useless, so you can't let people trade out all their caps. Trading out any caps also makes you worse in almost all cases, but people enjoy trying, so there's your trick.

Alternately, just write up some skill stuff that's broken and ask people to play nicely, like GURPS does for various things. Flying, invisible, mind controller, just not that expensive, but it's also not much fun to win that hard.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Total spells available by level for a wizard, ignoring cantrips and intelligence:
Same, for a sorcerer:

Wizard is almost linear, if you ignore part of it, but sorcerer is not. Either way, there is no consistent correspondence with level. Same with total spell levels. Sorcerer again:
3,4,5,12,14,25,30,45,52, etc.

Highest spell level is almost plausible, but there, sorcerer is a level behind. (Which is disregarding that the thing it almost corresponds too is class level, while characters advance by character level). But that's a stupid measure anyway, because suggests that the Warlock is broken (gets power access on a tier system with sudden jumps at a few levels).

And that's the most favorable comparison. If you roll bards in, the whole thing is risibly false.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

If your argument starts with the assumption that Sorceror is balanced with Wizard and concludes that being ahead or behind by a spell level is no big deal, something has badly derailed your train of thought.

Guess I'll start seriously considering some 7/10ths spellcasting PrCs!
-JM
Reynard
Apprentice

Post by Reynard »

> But that's a stupid measure anyway, because suggests that the Warlock is broken
Well. That proves it then.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

But the entire argument is a non-sequitur if you don't assume the system is balanced to start with. "Any changes are either no real difference or make things unbalanced" is semantically null unless "making things unbalanced" is a change. So, if you're really arguing that, I concede that the original argument could instead be bad in a different way.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Insomniac wrote:After reading the OSSR for Tome of Magic, I want to know what if anything could have been done to make a skill-based magical system work. Is that just a TOTAL non-starter in a level-based d20 system or could their be some way for it to be worthwhile?
Ain't the Tome of Prowess's skill-feats basically an example of "previously exclusively magical effects that interact with the skill system"?

As mentioned, the important part is that certain powers come online based on what skill rank you've achieved, which basically means what level you're at.

If your skill-magic system uses different skills for different spells though that at least uses the skill system as a way to limit what spells characters have access to.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

fectin wrote:But the entire argument is a non-sequitur if you don't assume the system is balanced to start with. "Any changes are either no real difference or make things unbalanced" is semantically null unless "making things unbalanced" is a change. So, if you're really arguing that, I concede that the original argument could instead be bad in a different way.
Things are balanced or unbalanced with respect to level. If you replace level in an equation with anything else, then you will at best have no difference at all. Any other possible result is that it will be less balanced with respect to level.

A skill based casting system is by definition less balanced to level than a level based casting system. I genuinely don't understand why this seems to be hard for you to grasp.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The only way to make skill-based magic even vaguely balanced is if you tie skill mods directly to level, like I did with Midgard, and even then it's not really balanced because the people who want to be main casters will select "Binding-Focused" and have level+3 as their caster level and the people who just want a minor trick or something they don't really care much about will select "Deception-[tier 1]" will have a caster level of 1/4 character level. Their horizontal power relies on them putting skill points into knowing spell lists.

Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

fectin wrote:Total spells available by level for a wizard, ignoring cantrips and intelligence:
I think you're talking about something entirely different. Spellcasting is 1:1 to level in that, for example, a Wizard gets 5th level spells at 9th level, not earlier or later. Not in that the progression is linear.

Skill bonus does not correspond to level. For example it's possible for one character to have a +23 bonus at 1st level, and for a different character not to have that until 20th level. So if you base spells off that, you have either a 1st level character that can throw out high level spells, or a 20th level character stuck to low level spells.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

FrankTrollman wrote:A skill based casting system is by definition less balanced to level than a level based casting system. I genuinely don't understand why this seems to be hard for you to grasp.
Because your claim is not obviously true, and your support for it is incoherent.
It's as though you've said that Grover Cleveland was the greatest US president, and when questioned followed up by defining greatness as being named "Grover."

I'm not at all clear what meaning of 'balanced' would cause you to claim that spells based on levels is balanced in any useful way that spells based on skills is not. There is no useful independently predictable performance across different classes, nor across character levels, nor from one level to the next of a given class (leaving aside that everyone sucks equally at level one). What balance are you even comparing?

On top of that, it's trivial to construct a counterexample.
Start with a Warlock, and modify as follows:
- Instead of making normal attack rolls for Eldritch Blast, make spellcraft checks and resolve as though the check result were the attack roll result.
- To use an invocation you must make a spellcraft check (DC10)
How is this less balanced than a normal warlock?
Last edited by fectin on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Fantasy Craft attempts to apply MAD to casters, with spells known, spell power, and something else I forget tied to 3 different stats.

Are there any games systems where MAD works the way they intend though?
Where damage/accuracy/defense/stamina/etc. stats really do make for a variety of functional characters.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

fectin wrote:On top of that, it's trivial to construct a counterexample.
Start with a Warlock, and modify as follows:
- Instead of making normal attack rolls for Eldritch Blast
I'm going to stop you there, because that isn't a counter example of anything. The postulate is and was that balancing things was best accomplished by tying them to level. On the grounds that level is the measure of how powerful you are supposed to be, and it is fucking obvious that tying your power outputs to a measure of ideal character power is going to give you a better correspondence between ideal character power and actual character power than tying it to something else.

Your supposed counter example is to hypothesize replacing something which is already not tied to level (and indeed, one where the level dependent bonuses are not even the largest term) with some other non-level dependent tie. Is it somehow difficult for you to process how that's not a counterexample? How it looks like you're not even having this conversation? It's a total fucking nonsequitur, and it looks on repeated reviewings that you are either huffing paint or trolling the thread. Either way, stop it.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

fectin wrote: I'm not at all clear what meaning of 'balanced' would cause you to claim that spells based on levels is balanced in any useful way that spells based on skills is not.
Nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to put max ranks in any skill, but your level is always the maximum number allowed by your experience total. Having a consistent number is more balanced than a variable number.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

fbmf wrote:Having a consistent number is more balanced than a variable number.
See, I have a hard time accepting that as the claim, because it's facially incorrect. That theory says that Behilder Mage is a well-balanced class (regular, predictable progression). Not only that, but Beholder Mage is somehow more "balanced to level" than any possible skill-based system.