Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Does Morgoth count as pre-1970?
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I think Creatures of Light and Darkness is as good as you're likely to get.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, it's theoretically possible for a 5th level rogue to defeat the Tarrasque, I mean, they have to be prepared for it, with 200+ acid flasks, a potion of flight and an arrow of deeper darkness with a glue pot for a head, and it takes a good while, but they can do it.

So given that a fifth level character can defeat a creature with a supposed CR of 20 given time and preparation which is entirely within their WBL, what would it take to actually make the Tarrasque an actual threat to competent twentieth level characters? Would giving it a flight speed and ranged attacks be sufficient? I mean, assuming that flight speed is 60' or better so that it can't still be kited with a potion of Fly?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Really, Elder Evils does everything the Tarrasque wants to do far better than the Tarrasque has ever done it.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Prak wrote:So, it's theoretically possible for a 5th level rogue to defeat the Tarrasque, I mean, they have to be prepared for it, with 200+ acid flasks, a potion of flight and an arrow of deeper darkness with a glue pot for a head, and it takes a good while, but they can do it.

So given that a fifth level character can defeat a creature with a supposed CR of 20 given time and preparation which is entirely within their WBL, what would it take to actually make the Tarrasque an actual threat to competent twentieth level characters? Would giving it a flight speed and ranged attacks be sufficient? I mean, assuming that flight speed is 60' or better so that it can't still be kited with a potion of Fly?
Have a colony of teleporting grappling thingies that activate antimagic fields once they grapple onto a target, letting the tarrasque then walk up and swallow 'em. They clean its teeth and scales like those little symbiotic fish that swim with sharks.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Prak wrote:So, it's theoretically possible for a 5th level rogue to defeat the Tarrasque, I mean, they have to be prepared for it, with 200+ acid flasks, a potion of flight and an arrow of deeper darkness with a glue pot for a head, and it takes a good while, but they can do it.

Once you give the Tarrasque wings, you might as well use a big dragon.

What I did for my game was to give the Tarrasque a stunning and sonic-damaging roar (effectively a breath weapon, with recharge time short enough that it could juggle) for a ranged attack, beef up its AC, saves and spell immunity/reflection so it actually has good defenses for a CR 20, switch out its bullshit feats for ones that do useful things and give it much higher speed, including burrow speed. I didn't have any PCs that could go incorporeal or spam ability drain (like an Allip swarm) in my game, but if you have that it needs a way to deal with those too -preferably a way that's a little more interesting than "sorry, it's immune/can see and hit you regardless."

That way it became a legitimate tactical challenge because it forced the 20th level party to come to it and keep up the pressure if they wanted to defeat it -otherwise it would just rampage - and it retained a distinct niche different from the flying, ranged-attacking bruisers that are the entire rest of the CR 20 list.

This might be inadequate for your purposes depending on what you mean by a "competent" level 20 party and what sourcebooks you use -but in my experience the only thing that can stand up to a sufficiently determined and well-prepared party that includes full casters without having any fatal weak spots is an NPC full caster, and that quickly gets stale.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

If you want a good Tarrasque, you make it a campaign to defeat it, not a monster that you roll attacks against.

This means gathering allies, finding the anti-Tarrasque MacGuffin, getting help from gods, protecting the city...

Its like Lady of Pain right? If you give it a stat block, you've already failed to give big T what it is due.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Why do people care about making the tarrasque into a big threat anyway? What gives it so much cachet that people are troubled by its status as a fairly easily-killed monster?
-JM
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

The Tarrasque is D&D's Godzilla. It's not really that surprising that people want to be able to have a meaningful showdown with Godzilla.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

John Magnum wrote:Why do people care about making the tarrasque into a big threat anyway? What gives it so much cachet that people are troubled by its status as a fairly easily-killed monster?
For the same reason that dragons are given top billing for threat. It was described as civilization-level threat back in '77, and none have seen reason to treat it less.

This reminds me of many DMs treating anything with a Name as Better-Than-You(tm). Be it making Medusa some kind of epic threat, DMPC insert wizards, or even Aragorn 'obviously' being level 20 and therefore those orcs are CR 10. Is there a term for whatever it is that makes DMs set players to the bottom of the narrative totem pole for this to happen?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

virgil wrote:Is there a term for whatever it is that makes DMs set players to the bottom of the narrative totem pole for this to happen?
Inferiority Complex?
dictionary wrote: noun
Psychiatry. intense feeling of inferiority, producing a personality characterized either by extreme reticence or, as a result of overcompensation, by extreme aggressiveness.
Seems fitting to me. (namely, the overcompensation through extreme aggressiveness)
Last edited by ACOS on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

John Magnum wrote:Why do people care about making the tarrasque into a big threat anyway? What gives it so much cachet that people are troubled by its status as a fairly easily-killed monster?
Because the Tarrasque is awesome! (conceptually), and I never really thought to describe him as Godzilla, though close enough for my inspirations. I've likened the idea its this giant puzzle monster that you're not supposed to be able to simply just Melee it w/no knowledge (unless you're at proper level, and/or that good I suppose?). The fact he becomes a parody I'm fine with for some reason, I guess because its funny, and therefore ok.

As for people freaking out about it being easily defeated, it can be some type of anti-learning notion, not wanting to dispel the mythic quality they were taught. It can also be the reality of the ruleset for that game crashing on their heads, realizing the game isn't as what they thought it was, and thusly they take it personally for that.

Though the Tarrasque is distinguished by the fact it cannot be fully killed by buttstabbing, you have to use a "plot-manipulation" power or Wish spell to fully defeat it. Also, it seemingly has anti-wizard defenses, that most bruisers seem to not have (to those who didn't read the MM, and notice the truly awesome monsters like Angels and junk).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I mean, it does have that reflective shell thing.

But seriously, rogue with a CL11 fly potion, and 2220 acid flasks. Acid overcomes it's DR, a TWF Flask Rogue does 48 points of acid damage per turn on average, which means that 8 points of nonlethal stick around after regen. You have to do 868 points of damage to subdue it, so you just fly in front of it lobbing acid flask sneak attacks for 109 rounds or just under 11 minutes. You start combat by firing an arrow with Deeper Darkness cast on it at the beast, with a glue pot head instead of a tip, because you just need the thing shrouded in darkness, not damaged by the arrow. With Big T shrouded in a 60'radius Darkness effect, you have concealment from him. Oh, I guess you need some Devil's Sight goggles, whoopdido.

But no, I was thinking about a Legendary for Team Zhentar to be going after in my Pokemon D&D game. The Tarrasque has the cache, so I was looking at making him a pokemon, and giving him a mega evolution.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Something I've thought would be interesting is to make the Tarrasque somewhat of a planar anomaly - the area within, say, 100' of it counts as being a separate demiplane, not part of the prime material.

While sentient creatures can fairly easily cross the border (Charisma check, DC 5, perhaps), unattended objects and effects are stopped cold. When the Tarrasque moves, the barrier flows over stationary objects, so it doesn't inherently destroy everything, but it could definitely cause some damage to any moving machinery just by walking past it.

Combine that with patching some obvious holes (add immunity to ability drain, give it a ranged attack or simply enough jumping+reach), and it should be pretty dangerous to fight.

I don't think the demiplane needs to have different rules, but it could (impeded magic? heavier gravity?) if you want to make things harder.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually I was thinking of giving the Tarrasque a destructive aura, since it's supposed to be this big fuck-all avatar of Destruction.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How about turning it into lavos, he shoots spines that can knock out cities so you can't just leave him alone.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

See, it's actually perfectly in-character for the Tarrasque to be murdered by commoners, because that's exactly what happened in the myth it's drawn from.
Saint Martha found the beast and charmed it with hymns and prayers, and led back the tamed Tarasque to the city. The people, terrified by the monster, attacked it when it drew nigh. The monster offered no resistance and died there.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Is M&M an appropriate system for Lord of Light themed game?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'd hack up Exalted. It does exactly the things you want: powers are random and disproportionate, and most of the game is either building kingdoms to fight other kingdoms, sleeping around, or politicking. The actual combat is all trying to parlay your crazy random abilities into an unanswerable win. Also, crafting = real ultimate power is a setting feature.

Edit: on second thought, hacked Amber Diceless might be an even better system.
Last edited by fectin on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

No point in hacking exalted. You would have to burn the entire thing down and start from scratch anyway.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I'm considering running a Mutants and Masterminds game. What should I be aware of or watch out for?
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You have to watch out for power combinations, like in any game. M&M isn't BESM-level fragile, but it can be abused. It's probably best to lay down rules like "If you completely compensate for [Drawback/Flaw], it's not a [X], and you don't get points." Like, if someone takes Drawback: Disability (Blindness, ) for 5 points, and then takes Supersense: Blindsight (4pts), it's not really a drawback, now is it? That's a minor example, netting only a single point, but there are others, like you could take Paraplegic twice to represent a quadripelgic, getting 8 points, and then take even just a single rank of Flight for 2 points. Or have a techno-hoveround with Flight.

The book talks about Disabilities having different values for people with powers that obviate them, but honestly, it's probably better to just flat out say no to that sort of thing.

Also look out for variable powers. They can be very versatile, depending on how they're built, and they can be time sinks for the player. Summon Minion was one of my favourites, it can be bought cheaply and give you customizeable pokemon for every situation.

Edit: more elabouration on Summon Minion- Lets say I'm playing a demon summoner- I would build my summon power like-
Summon Minion (2 pt/r)
+Fanatical (+1 pt/r)
+Heroic (+1 pt/r)
+Broad Type (+2 pt/r)
-Action- Full Round (-1 pt/r)

Comes out to 5 pt/r. With that, I can summon a minion that I get to build with 15 points per rank of Summon Minion I have, which means that by putting a third of my points into my power, I get to summon a hero-level threat that is specially prepared for whatever circumstance we find ourselves in.

Now, after I buy the power up to a number of ranks equal to the campaign power level, I can then put additional points in to increase the number of minions I can have, each point increases the number I can summon along the Time and Progression Table (which goes 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 etc). If I then increase the cost per rank by another point, I can add the Horde extra to my Summon Minions power, allowing me to call all my buddies at once.

If you allow the use of Ultimate Power, I can then add more flaws onto my power, like Requires Check, meaning I just make a skill check to use my power, DC 10+rank. Remember, skills are 1 pt./4 ranks. This would bring the Horde version back down to 5pt/r.

If I really felt like filling my boots with gouda, I would actually have a Demon Summoning Staff, which would be a device using these same sort of tricks to get my Summon Demons on even more cheaply. Devices cost 3 or 4 points per rank, depending on how easy it is to take away, and give 5 points to use to buy powers. So if the game is PL 5, then clearly I want Summon Minion 5, and maybe Progresson 5, allowing me to summon up to 50 demons. That would be 30 (of my 75) points. So instead, I put that in a staff. It can be taken with a disarm, so it's 3 points. My device needs to be rank 6, so I'm spending 18 points to be able to pop 50 PL5 guys I make to spec.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Reading through the adventure seeds in the lower planes, it got me wondering what happens to someone (not native) who physically dies in one of these planes? Do they respawn without all of their swag?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

They die and go on to their afterlife of choice. Which may be the same plane they died on, or may not be.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fectin wrote:Materials include blue ice, which is the basis of many exploits
This came up in the 5e thread. I was curious what was so exploitable about blue steel, but I just see mithral that's really cold. So what are the exploits that are based on blue steel?