Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Is it possible to refer to humans as "the race of man" or whatever in a modern fantasy RPG product without coming off as a sexist asshole? Even if you are very good about alternating between using "he" and "she" in the actual text, or if you just use the singular "they" or whatever?

(I am relatively confident that the answer is "No, you cannot", but I am looking for a few more datapoints.)
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I don't think you'll be attacked for using "mankind" as a synonym for "humanity." Not by anybody really worth listening to anyhow.

If I were writing a set of rules, I would use male or female pronouns in class entries, depending on whether the example or archetype character for that class is male or female. For general purpose sections like rules covering pickpocketing or grappling, I would use second person pronouns for the person undertaking an action, and third person pronouns or gender-neutral terms like "the opponent" or "the target" for the subject of that action. E.g. "you may initiate a grapple with a creature as an attack action by making a melee attack against their touch AC."

Your mileage may vary, of course.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Way, way, way back, "man" meant human, and male and female were distinguished by wer-man and wif-man (or something similar; look it up if the exact obsolete prefix matters to you). That's evolved since then, but 'mankind' is cognate of the modern 'man,' not a derivative.

TL;DR: No. Anyone who pitches a fit over "mankind" is ignorant (or foolish enough that they will likely also be upset at other words like 'manual').
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

As a stylistic choice though I tend to avoid it unless you're going for a slightly retro vibe like in 40k.
bears fall, everyone dies
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Don't alternate between using he and she mid document, it's confusing as fuck. I've seen some tiny indie products do it and it's mind bogglingly terrible. Pick a style and format that works for you and keep that consistent throughout

Edit: Also don't use Zhe or any of that garbage. It doesn't expand my ideas of gender identity it makes me think I'm reading a product by a pretentious asshole that can't use their own language properly.
Last edited by Dean on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

"Race of man" is like an age of enlightenment thing, so it sounded old a hundred years ago. If you're doing Space 1889, it's totally appropriate for old people to say, including having feminists complaining about it. Seriously. French revolutionary women vigorously complained that the new whole "rights of man" thing had neglected to mention or enforce the rights of women, and corrected that. Two hundred and twenty four years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarati ... le_Citizen

So yes, you would come across as casually sexist to the sort of people who care.

--

Hmm. Originally, we had wir (male) and wif (female) as types of man (human). Then we moved to man and wif as man-kynde, to man and wifman as people, to man and wiman as mankind, to man and woman as human.

And then men kept trying to assert that "man" still meant "women too", like it did in Old English, over and over again, but mostly because women were property and you also included your house and cattle and language and national borders and all sorts of things when talking about "man", as a man, with the law backing you up. Feminists have been pointing out this problem for at least four hundred years, and the emergence of "womankind" as a word in the late 13th century suggests more like forever.

--

Huh, "racism" is a word from 1932, to describe the early writings of the Nazis. "Race" is only a 16th century concept (of cursed ancestry lines) invented by the church to support the Atlantic slave trade, leading to the genocidal colonisation policies in the Americas and elsewhere. Words, eh. They mean things.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

"Race of man" is inaccurate anyway since humans are a species and not a race anyway.

And yeah yeah, hybrids like half-elves and half-orcs can still breed. Look at mules.

But if someone said "race of mankind" and another person got genuinely offended for sexist reasons... I'd probably stop playing because if that offended them almost anything will.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Call them the race of hu.

As to switching pronouns, make sure that you do it by section or by paragraph instead of by word so it will be less confusing.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, under no circumstances should you ever switch pronouns which should have the same implied antecedent. It's okay if you're doing the starting fluff text for a prestige class or something, where each sentence can be read as describing different people with the class, but it doesn't work when describing a single individual.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Dean wrote: Edit: Also don't use Zhe or any of that garbage. It doesn't expand my ideas of gender identity it makes me think I'm reading a product by a pretentious asshole that can't use their own language properly.
Singular they isn't bad tho.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I agree with that
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I don't like singular they, but it's more a preference for canonical correctness. Also, we already lost the second person singular; it's a shame we're throwing away third person too.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:I don't like singular they, but it's more a preference for canonical correctness. Also, we already lost the second person singular; it's a shame we're throwing away third person too.
No one is losing the the third person singular, if you know a guy, you can call him he, if you know a girl, you can call her she, if you have a book, you can call it it.

Also what do you mean by "canonical" because this word means lots of things absolutely none of which makes sense in this context.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, the singular they has been in use since at least Shakespeare, so I'm really not sure what canon you're referring to here.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

You can introduce your rules plurally if singular "they" is a bother.

When Rogues use sneak attack, they do extra damage according to their class table. For example, Jacinda is a 6th level Rogue, and she adds +3d6 precision damage when making sneak attacks. On gaining the 7th level of Rogue,
player would note an increase to +4d6 precision damage.

So you only use singular pronouns to talk about uniquely identified examples in the first place.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Another option is to use 'you'.

e.g. "At 6th level you add +3d6 precision damage when making sneak attacks."
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I always find in certain games, having randomly generated tables (like for Scavenging loot in a Post Apocalypse) would be mandatorily useful. I was wondering on some lessons on how to fill in content for tables like that, and I was pretty sure Frank may've did a post about it somewhere? I think it may've had to do with After Sundown or some such, but can't really remember where unfortunately.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Aryxbez wrote:I always find in certain games, having randomly generated tables (like for Scavenging loot in a Post Apocalypse) would be mandatorily useful. I was wondering on some lessons on how to fill in content for tables like that, and I was pretty sure Frank may've did a post about it somewhere? I think it may've had to do with After Sundown or some such, but can't really remember where unfortunately.
Potentially useful
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

It appears to be common in published D&D adventures to have a tournament arc. Where there are some mini-games and arena fights.
But why are they almost always single player mini-games and fights with no magic allowed?

I get that it is hard to write something to challenge both non-magic and magic users, even at low levels, but solving it by telling the magic users to fuck off, is awful.
Last edited by ishy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Alright, snowball's chance in hell that I'll get an answer to this, but here goes:

I'm in a pathfinder game, and getting ready to join as a level 5 Tactician/level 6 Thrallherd. I have two mythic ranks.

Any tips and tricks for playing Pathfinder Psionics? My collective is kind of skimpy due to multiclassing, but I have figured out Collective Power is kind of important, and perhaps ways of getting focus faster is nice.

Unrelated to Pathfinder Psionics, what are decent, cheap ways to have flight at my level? I have Craft Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item so I have lots of cheap options.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

ishy wrote:It appears to be common in published D&D adventures to have a tournament arc. Where there are some mini-games and arena fights.
But why are they almost always single player mini-games and fights with no magic allowed?

I get that it is hard to write something to challenge both non-magic and magic users, even at low levels, but solving it by telling the magic users to fuck off, is awful.
There's bits in modules where you have to social skill stuff, so have social skill or fuck off for a while. There's bits where you basically need a heal bot, so be a healer or fuck off for a while. Most of the module will be solved by the Wizard (and other casters), that's what they do, so have spells or fuck off almost always. There's often a bunch of traps and locks somewhere, or some other skill spotlight.

Sometimes you get chucked in a cell with no focus or components and with a gag, sometimes the Dragon knows Anti-Magic Field, and sometimes we pretend that fighters matter at any other time by highlighting their class abilities in a genre-appropriate way, by having a couple of meat sacks beat on each other until one of them falls over, while the spellcasters complain they'd have won that fight on round one if only they were allowed.

To which the fighters point out, casters are allowed in the arena, they're just not allowed to cast any spells there. Step up any time little man, etc. Hell, if you can't sneak a bunch of buffs into the arena, you're not trying, and you can be damn sure the NPCs will.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Turns out the answer to my flying dilemma is just use my thrallherd ability to grab the best mount of all: a druid.

Also, most of the group knows so little about psionics that they don't know that my mount could probably kick the snot out of me... the best thing I bring to the party is my ass-rest and I find that hilarious.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Exploring a dungeon or castle is straight forward and usually involves a grid map, but how do you make exploring 'wilderness' like forest or jungle fun? Links to old den threads would be fine
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Have a map usable by players so there are discrete locations they are heading to. It is more fun to point on a map and say what route you are using than simply declaring a destination. If you are exploring then maybe provide a rudimentary map that they can fill the details in on.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Have you seen the Alexandrian dude's hexcrawl system? It is a bit more comprehensive than what the typical retroclone has. The party can choose their movement type, which affects how likely they are to discover hidden features of the land and how likely they are to have chance encounters. It is set up so that players feel like they are engaged in vector-based continuous movement while still being confined to hexes from the MC's perspective. I have not used it for more than a session or two, but it seemed like it could be interesting.
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/173 ... s/hexcrawl
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.