Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:Well, whispering is DC 10 instead. Folks whisper spells while trying to hide in shows and movies all the time, so it seems reasonable. I'll probably write it into part of a scaling feat if the player wants to do it in the future.
I'll probably punch you in the face for making that feat.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Just let him fucking whisper while casting a spell. If there's actually a point to hiding it, there will likely be people listening, who will catch someone casting a spell, given the DC is literally an average roll.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Kaelik wrote:
Lokathor wrote:Well, whispering is DC 10 instead. Folks whisper spells while trying to hide in shows and movies all the time, so it seems reasonable. I'll probably write it into part of a scaling feat if the player wants to do it in the future.
Why exactly is that? There's already Sudden Silent Spell, but that's a little narrow for a feat, so making it part of a scaling feat but also requiring a skill check seems fair.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Why exactly is that? There's already Sudden Silent Spell, but that's a little narrow for a feat, so making it part of a scaling feat but also requiring a skill check seems fair.
Two reasons:

1) Sudden Silent Spell works three times a day, and therefore doesn't completely change the fucking metagame so that all spells are always silent, which is what your stupid one does.

2) The mechanic of basing it on MS is fucking retarded.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, assuming the paladin's player doesn't drop from my game completely (or get booted...), I just realized it's entirely possible that the party could diplomance a captain in the port town to take them to Skull Island. Basically I'm thinking that should this actually happen (requiring them to basically make the captain their boon companion, plying him with drink and promises of glory, rather than a simple Diplomacy roll), the captain will still act in a sound business like manner, charging them enough that he can buy a new ship in the all too likely case they don't return, not accompanying them, and making them raise their own crew, or charging 1.5 times the cost of a new ship to give them a crew as well, as he fully expects everyone on the ship to die horribly, and will have extra expenses to cover should they die. Is there anything I'm not thinking of here?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could have sworn there was a feat that gave you proficiency in your race's signature weapons (so Dwarves can take it to gain proficiency in dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes rather than just treating them as martial instead of exotic which makes literally no difference if your class isn't giving you MWP). Was I just high? All I can find is a feat that gives you familiarity in any weapon with your race in the name that was published after your race.

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I'm pretty sure the Martial Weapons feat that gives you all martial weapons. Or rather, I'm sure it should, and that works for your racial weapons too. It's still a terrible feat.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so issues with players and desires.

Issue the first: I handed a couple of my players the knowledge that creatures can be grown in vats in my world, as part of "here's how the knight can get his dragon mount," along with a piece of Yggdrasil as part of the "resurrect the goddess impaled to yggdrasil" adventure. I intended for the adventure to involve replacing as many pieces of Yggdrasil as possible, but the player with the piece wants to use it to create a god.

I'm all for my players doing awesome stuff, but I'm torn over how much to go with the "grow a god" gambit, and how much to discourage it, or out right have Professor Oak say omnisciently "GALLOWS! THIS ISN'T THE TIME TO USE THAT." The elven goddess does have a direct line of communication to the party though, since they're carrying a piece of Yggdrasil, so I'm thinking about having the goddess tell him not to use it for that.

Issue the second: The party is considering having their artificer make a scroll of Limited Wish to get a detailed map of "No one fucking goes here Island" with which to teleport to the island. I'm honestly not even sure if that is within the abilities of Limitedd Wish.

Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Inspired by the Elder Scrolls, I suggest using the threat of a Lesser Atropal accomanied by an undead plague as an RP deterrent/plot hook. Fluff it as something like:

"The pieces of Ydgdrassil belong together in their natural state, allowing the vat to regrow the god. Other attempts to harness divinity have resulted in the creation of an aberrant perversion of a divine being..."
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

This is more of "annoying game griping" rather than a question, BUUUUUT...

Anyone else have a player that insisted that Read Magic allows you to cast a scroll from anyone's spell list? I had an extended argument with a player last week over that. I hope he stops showing up. (I don't like him or his boyfriend, my roomate thinks they're cute so he re-invited them after I booted them, and roomate's sister backs him up and outvotes me. By Garyx, I can't wait until I get out of here)
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Scroll activation, DMG 3.5, p238. You need to read it, it needs to be the right arcane/divine type, it must be on your class list, and you must have the requisite ability score.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

I pointed that out. He still insisted he was right. I countered that he wasn't just wrong, the rules also say he's a dick.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
K
King

Post by K »

Growing a god sounds stupid. Just tell the player that gods are too powerful.

Second: Limited Wish can duplicate mid-level divination spells, so give him the kind of map that you'd expect to get from a mid-level divination spell. I'd hand out rough outlines of buildings and cave entrances, major landmarks, etc, but then leave big blank sections where there is magic/treasure as a hint that points to interesting parts of the map.
K
King

Post by K »

Ted the Flayer wrote:This is more of "annoying game griping" rather than a question, BUUUUUT...

Anyone else have a player that insisted that Read Magic allows you to cast a scroll from anyone's spell list? I had an extended argument with a player last week over that. I hope he stops showing up. (I don't like him or his boyfriend, my roomate thinks they're cute so he re-invited them after I booted them, and roomate's sister backs him up and outvotes me. By Garyx, I can't wait until I get out of here)
The scroll casting rules say that he's wrong.

Maybe you could point out that activating a scroll has little to do with "reading it." This is why UMD would let an illiterate Barbarian activate a scroll.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ted the Flayer wrote:I pointed that out. He still insisted he was right. I countered that he wasn't just wrong, the rules also say he's a dick.
Sounds like you won the argument pretty soundly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

K wrote:Growing a god sounds stupid. Just tell the player that gods are too powerful.
I think I've finally impressed up the player that the piece of the tree is meant to be replaced in the tree. I'm not sure what he wants the god for, other than for his character to have done something awesome, so I'm inclined to give it to him, possibly letting it work as a planar ally while it's still weak.
Second: Limited Wish can duplicate mid-level divination spells, so give him the kind of map that you'd expect to get from a mid-level divination spell. I'd hand out rough outlines of buildings and cave entrances, major landmarks, etc, but then leave big blank sections where there is magic/treasure as a hint that points to interesting parts of the map.
There we go, thanks K, I didn't think about that.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Anyone know any D&D spells/cleric accessible PrCs that could replicate this:
Last edited by Prak on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik
King

Post by erik »

Arrows of spell-storing + shatter (or flamestrike if he actually hurt the enemy rather than just blasting the wall of thorns). Gravedust's cleric fluff is that his spells are powered by spirits.

Heck, it's not even explicit in the comic if he requires special arrows to store spirits into them and power his spells.

So deathwatch, speak with dead, spell-storing arrows and you are well on your way to emulating him.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...once again I am disappointed that I got a bow that creates arrows as my character's bennie. He's the son of Apollo and has a bow from his (unknown) father. It can't use normal arrows, sadly.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Why can't it use normal arrows?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Because it's basically an energy bow that either has no string, or automatically creates an arrow with the somatic component of drawing it, which would burn a normal arrow or something.

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Pretty much. Plus a bit of this. Plus tome style enhancement bonus (cleric levels only, though) and flaming burst, with double damage to undead vulnerable to sunlight. And daylight while drawn.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak_Anima wrote:
I'm all for my players doing awesome stuff, but I'm torn over how much to go with the "grow a god" gambit, and how much to discourage it, or out right have Professor Oak say omnisciently "GALLOWS! THIS ISN'T THE TIME TO USE THAT." The elven goddess does have a direct line of communication to the party though, since they're carrying a piece of Yggdrasil, so I'm thinking about having the goddess tell him not to use it for that.
That depends on what Yggdrasil is in your campaign. But since Yggdrasil is the world tree, on which the various planets of the Norse cosmology hang, I'd suggest that growing a cutting from it doesn't produce a god, but instead produces a microverse, effectively a demi-plane. Having a demi-plane is useful, but it doesn't produce the problems that an artificial god would.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Ah. If it was just the "no string" thing then you could just solve it by attaching a string.