[Dom3] UG: Academy of Flowing Magma [Late Game]

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

There was an assassination attempt earlier. Thankfully, Ench 1 means most of my mages are capable of defending themselves.

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Wow. That is some weird expansion, Utwald. Were you trying to pin us in our corner? Regardless, we're demanding every province adjacent to Validun (our recently acquired second border), including Pnophia. We'll see how things stand after that, but there's a lot of map left to the south and east and claims in the little remaining territory we have left to expand into will get you nothing but a war declaration. There's plenty of map left to the south and east. You should go there.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Yeah I got a little carried away...

I lost my comander in Pnophia, send an scout or something and my tiny men will run away.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Much appreciated. We'll probably send a real army there, but we'll move our archers elsewhere. All melee. Your men should have no trouble escaping if they're commanderless (zero pd means they will be, right?).

Edit: You had a crippled heavy longbow who could not escape. That poor, poor bastard.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Huh, maybe I should spend my RP more carefully.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Made a rather ill-advised assault that lost me an army. Supplemented by priests and PD, the military of the Hoburgs is not something I will be able to practically defeat by throwing tiny men at it. Time to get creative.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Sorry Etfurt, but that province I intend to keep.

--
Utwald
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

In one of my provinces, I detected and murdered a bunch of villains. I have never seen that happen before. Was that a random event, or was someone trying to sneak an army of stealthy indies into my territory?

Note: not expecting the owner to fess up, just hoping other players will let me know how to tell the difference. Not quite clear on the mechanics of catching stealthy armies and ascertaining who they might belong to.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I think you should have had an random event some turns earlier where you got some unrest and some fluff concerning some bandits in the province.

It only took this long to find them.

If another player sends some steahlty units you should still get an ID with the battle report.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That's possible. I may have totally forgotten about it. My province defense is what caught them, which is why it weirds me out. I've never had PD catch an indie event before.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DSMatticus wrote:That's possible. I may have totally forgotten about it. My province defense is what caught them, which is why it weirds me out. I've never had PD catch an indie event before.
There are a couple events that create a stealth unit in a province. There's a monster boar event and a brigand leader plus villains event, for example. Those guys sit there being stealthed and the units also generate unrest wherever they happen to be. There's a spell that can generate the monster boar that is available to Arco and I think Pangaea, and there's a spell available to anyone with an ass tonne of astral/blood to generate a Dream Horror event.

In any case, PD of 10 or more has a chance of catching stealthy units each turn. The Brigand leader has a lot of troops under his command, so he's actually not that hard to catch.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I'm getting ready to deploy a SECRET WEAPON. I've never seen it used in play before, so it should be interesting seeing how effective (or not) it turns out to be.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

SECRET WEAPON turns out to have less suitability than the flavor text suggested.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Oops, looks like I missed a turn.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Some major funhaving has taken place recently.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Behemoths work a lot better when you mass them.

I had a lot of fun in another game using cheap Behemoths (and carrion summons) from an enchantment boosting site.

30 odd carrion beast elephants and behemoths backed by undead boosting spells are pretty damn effective. The above average MR on Behemoths makes them a pain to take out with single target removal spells like Disintegrate before they hit the back line of an army, especially if they are buffed by a haste/quickness effect and getting healed. Even then, the attrition rate was fairly high.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Thanks for the tip. I think I've reached the point where I am going to stop trying to invade Etfurt's capital for a while. Maybe I'll go harass the Abysian army on my northernmost border instead.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Avoracipoctules wrote:Maybe I'll go harass the Abysian army on my northernmost border instead.
We're more than prepared to cremate your dead for you.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

See, the thing is, 7 behemoths against hundreds of longdead and hoburgs in plate armour, will just get surrounded and cut down. Tramplers need to be massed, in my experience, even then they only act as a vanguard to break formations for your other units.

At 10 death gems per unit, you probably would have got more mileage out of three thugged up Banes. Or just cast Burden of Time or something.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Sadly, setting up globals or kitting out Bane Lords involves a level of micromanagement I can't really afford to commit to right now. I have finals in a little over a week and a couple research papers due before that.

This game is proving fairly educational, and I'm grateful for that, but I'll have to wait until I switch over to working a summer job before I have the free time to design a real game plan for my nation. So right now I'm just noodling around with the various tools at my disposal and seeing what works.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

@Utwald, I actually have no idea why I ended up with an army in 47. I certainly didn't intend to break an NAP and start a war with you using 9 abysian light infantry and 2 archers. I think I misclicked somewhere along the line, pretty sure that guy was supposed to stay where he was.

It looks like ~30 income, +1W+1N gem... did I burn down a temple? I didn't get a message, but I don't think you always do. I'm leaving it this turn, 0 province defense, so you can take it with literally anything, and I'll send you a few turns worth of the provinces gold and gem income.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Aceptable.

--
Utwald
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Postphoned the Game to Monday really early in the morning.
So the leader of Gani can hopefully submit a turn.

Avo please, a short post and I'll postphone an turn and you dont stall 3 times in a row.
If you need more time, say so...!
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Oh wow, he has been stalling. I guess those "increasing troop numbers" I kept seeing on my border were just fluctuating scouting reports. Well, um... now I feel kind of bad about destroying that army.

And my army seemed to go overboard on spending gems. Just wow.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Sorry everyone, I've been dealing with a bunch of papers and studying for finals week. The papers are out of the way now, so I should be able to have a little more time this weekend for taking turns.

But don't worry about holding up the game on my account. It'll be interesting seeing how well the Ganian government can recover strategically after their unfortunate few months of gridlock.