[Dom3] UG: Academy of Flowing Magma [Late Game]

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Avoracio wrote:Sorry everyone, I've been dealing with a bunch of papers and studying for finals week. The papers are out of the way now, so I should be able to have a little more time this weekend for taking turns.
You and me both. I've been putting in minimal turns for a long time in most of my games, but I am done now! If I'd known, I would have held off hostilities for another turn or two.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Shadow blast is an impressive spell when it hits. Also: trying to mix abysian infantry and regular infantry is tedious and difficult. I set one of my poor indie commanders on fire, and my archers refuse to stand still.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Okay, WTF? I watched my thug make it to the edge of the screen in a successful rout, and he no longer exists. I cannot find him. He is missing.

Edit: Oh. I had two thugs, one died. Mystery solved.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Argalath the Underwhelming has proven remarkably resistant to the flames of our battlecasters, but not so to the iron of our soldiers. After the fires had devoured his army and its few remaining mages, the false god was surrounded and dispatched.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Nice job.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Okay, finals are over, and after a brief trip out of town, I should have the time and opportunity to take turns more regularly. As of Tuesday afternoon, I will commit to stop staling every other turn.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Nice job.
I have the feeling it would have been much harder and more interesting if you hadn't been staling so much. Not that I'm complaining. He's cost me a decent chunk of gems, what with petrify and all.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Argalath lives up to his titles! If we do this again, I'm going to ramp things up to "the Disconcerting" and see how it plays out.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Argalath lives up to his titles! If we do this again, I'm going to ramp things up to "the Disconcerting" and see how it plays out.
Who's Argalath and what's the deal with him? I'm following this thread, please post/PM an explanation now that your finals are over (congrats/condolences).
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Argalath is his pretender. The full name is Arglath the Underwhelming.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Like Akula said, Argalath the Underwhelming is an ageless olm pretender with F2 who can cast resist fire at the start of the battle. He's a giant pile of HP who is fire immune, so my hordes of fire casters can't do jacksquat to him. He doesn't have the item slots to be particularly thuggable, though, and everything else on the battlefield is not fireproof. So I set the battlefield on fire to kill everything else (along with a casting of flame storm, niefel flames, and falling fires spam), and Argalath ended up totally alone, surrounded by Nayo infantry, and murdered. There was also some frozen heart spam to assist the process. My thugs were nearby, but didn't actually get involved. They were busy finishing off sacred cavalry, I guess.

All in all, this war has actually been pretty fun. I've never actually messed around with elemental battle evocations to this extent before, and dropping fire everywhere while your Abysian soldiers are totally immune is just satisfying. (Though, my faction has water, death, and nature access, which we've used for thugging and limited battle magic. We also have blood, which... I just never had the economy to get off the ground, sadly. I got stuck in a corner, the map's pretty small, and I sort of need all my money.)

Avoracio has been using shadowblast spam to absolutely devastating effect with massed mages.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

If it weren't for those Wraith Lords, I would probably be able to defend my cap.

Oh well, I'll try and go out with a bang.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Aren't you also a death faction? You should have some tools to take on undead thugs/SC's.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Take a look at my research. Early war forced me to invest in cheap reamimators and random 1 path guys rather than additional forts to recruit cheap researchers en-masse. Plus I have a lot of early blood research which is doing nothing due to lack of viable hunting grounds until recently.

I'll probably do some damage, but my undead armies are currently dead weight when it comes to dealing with a pair of fully geared WL acting as a vanguard (slight exaggeration, they still have one or two slots open for gear).
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Dust to dust is thaum 1, and while I've never managed to have any luck or use for it, that should kill wraithlords, right?
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

It does around 20 damage to the square it hits. I can't recall how it interacts with luck.

Due to GoH, I would need around 4 mages to follow script and hit the correct sqaure in one turn to take out a single WL, assuming luck does not offer any protection. It is not taken out, then I have regeneration to contend with which will require more successful hits.

But sure, I can place all my death mages on front line and hope I get lucky in the first couple of turns of a battle. That assumes that the WL stay put and don't start raiding. Chasing after raiders with a limited number of mages will probably result in my mages catching an arrow to the face instead of the target they are scripted for.

Higher research would have provided me with more elegant options.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Winnah wrote: Due to GoH, I would need around 4 mages to follow script and hit the correct sqaure in one turn to take out a single WL
Nitpick. GoH wont help me without my own Dominion.
Will need a little time to get your Dominion down in your captial... :cool:
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Why did my mages go off script and not use gems? Why does this game keep doing this to me? Lol. 14 commanders + 59 units + 10 undead had to be enough to trigger gem usage. Didn't it?

Edit: Nevermind. They were on the wrong dude. Rookie mistake.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

If it weren't for that King of Deeper Earth, I would probably be able to defend my cap.

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Winnah wrote:If it weren't for those Wraith Lords, I would probably be able to defend my cap.

Winnah wrote:If it weren't for that King of Deeper Earth, I would probably be able to defend my cap.

Yeah, shure. :rofl:
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'm pretty busy today. If the hosting could be delayed by 6 hours, that would be good.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Ups, sorry.
I red your post, but did not look at the thread title... I'M THE ADMIN!

Sorry.

BTW. I hate Shattered Soul. I also hate Shattered Soul and Insanity on the same unit...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Hah! I forgot that mercenaries don't give back gems you issue them. So much for one resupply mission. But it might not compromise the full operation.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Etfurt you still there?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Managed to take out a temple with one of my last unsieged armies. Not very significant at this point, but I'll take my victories where I can find them.

Also, I've been mailing Etfurt gems. If they are out of the game, I'd better stop.