[Dom3] UG: Academy of Flowing Magma [Late Game]

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

DSMatticus wrote:I was debating putting the seed up here, but I ended up not doing it. Maybe I should have.
Give it to me!
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
DSMatticus wrote:I was debating putting the seed up here, but I ended up not doing it. Maybe I should have.
Give it to me!
Ahh, I meant to say in the original post: it's long gone now. Sorry. :sad: I had it saved in a .txt for awhile with the rest of my interesting/potentials, but then I trimmed it.

I'll let you know if I see anymore.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

DSMatticus wrote:I don't even know how Avoraciopostalulysses (I still refuse to check how your name is actually spelt before I post) got reanimating factions; I've generated a batch of a 100 without a single reanimating faction before, with 4 being the highest I've seen at a time in such a batch. Finding one that didn't suck must have taken forever.
It helps if you know what you are looking for. After my first 120, I started doing Control-F test searches for "reanim" . I very much wanted a faction that would let me deploy large numbers of mediocre skeletal infantry, and so I didn't even look at things that failed to grant H3 reanimators.
EDIT:

Generating nations like this is nostalgically reminiscent of those old AD&D computer games where you could spend half an hour virtually rolling and storing stat arrays in an attempt to get as many 18s as possible. I'm not sure whether I should consider that a good thing.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Avoracio wrote:Generating nations like this is nostalgically reminiscent of those old AD&D computer games where you could spend half an hour virtually rolling and storing stat arrays in an attempt to get as many 18s as possible. I'm not sure whether I should consider that a good thing.
It would be nice if you could set it to only produce nations with certain attributes, but on the flip side these nations aren't really 'balanced' and anything that speeds up the search process will make it easier to find outputs that are just unfair. Of course, you can do that anyway; I'm actually sort of hesitant to play Nayo. Those are some seriously hardcore mages. They are as diverse as Utwald's, but sacred for half the upkeep.

Also, the executable is just a command prompt interface; I imagine you could set up a batch file that would run the program many times in a row to create X mods of Y nations each, then you could do a search on all files named descriptions.txt in your mod directory for "reanim." Less sure on how you'd do that last bit with windows standard search, but there's got to be a way. Of course, some of the attributes I'd care most about aren't even searchable, sadly; what kind of magic can they get out of non-cap forts? Are their big mages hardcoded, linked picks, or cross picks? Are their mages sacred?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Some things are outright broken. A lot of cavalry have the weapon " ," (weapon 710) which I assume is supposed to be some kind of hoof attack but I can't click on it and I suspect it isn't actually defined. A bunch of weapons (such as Chakram) don't have graphics defined, and if you get them you just get a broken sprite.

It certainly has some weirdness in some of the cost calculations. "Heavy" Wyvern Cavalry costs 90 gold, but "Light" Wyvern Cavalry only costs 70. You are not buying Wyvern Cavalry for the ordinary human with a broadsword on the back!

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

FrankTrollman wrote:A lot of cavalry have the weapon " ," (weapon 710)
I've seen that on units before; I've also seen some description text for a shapeshifting unit that assured me it would shapeshift into a "". I'm not sure if it's non-functional (never tested or looked at the mod files in either case) or if it's just missing strings.
FrankTrollman wrote:A bunch of weapons (such as Chakram) don't have graphics defined, and if you get them you just get a broken sprite.
Never got that; I can see chakrams just fine. Little circular hoops.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DSMatticus wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:A bunch of weapons (such as Chakram) don't have graphics defined, and if you get them you just get a broken sprite.
Look at it more closely. It probably slipped by because Chakrams are circles, but that's not a chakram picture, that's the "no weapon sprite donut".

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

FrankTrollman wrote:
DSMatticus wrote:
Look at it more closely. It probably slipped by because Chakrams are circles, but that's not a chakram picture, that's the "no weapon sprite donut".

-Username17
If it makes any difference, I'm pretty sure I've seen 'chakrams' of multiple colors. I don't know if that makes it any more or less likely that I'm seeing actual chakrams or not, because I have no idea what the no weapon sprite donut is or looks like or what sort of behavior we're talking about. I'll give it a closer look next time some faction generates chakrams; maybe post a preview.

But I haven't seen any missing sprites other than chakrams (if I have in fact seen missing chakrams at all).
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I think some of the defined weapons and armour reference another mod. I've created occasional units with broken weapons and armour, as well as tripped some errors during unit generation by creating special cavalry without mounts.

In any case, I've settled on a new nation

-- Generated with version OHH AHH UHH.
-- Nation 76: Etfurt generated with seed 1883473302

Badass Hoburg death cult with wolf cavalry.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

For now, I'm still going with Nayo (-651238625) if Korwin wants to put me in the first post with the others. I put their preview somewhere back there.

Edit: Unless anyone objects. They feel kind of crazy, but I'm not really good enough to tell if they're unreasonably crazy.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon May 14, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Winnah wrote:I think some of the defined weapons and armour reference another mod. I've created occasional units with broken weapons and armour, as well as tripped some errors during unit generation by creating special cavalry without mounts.
Hmm, Unitgen is written with CBM in mind...

Also updated first post
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Elmokki wrote:Warhorse hoof (weapon id 710) is used by some mounts. It won't crash if you don'y have CBM enabled, but then your cavalry has one attack less. A simple replacing all "#weapon 710" with "#weapon 56" will fix this. That said I do not guarantee that there won't be more similiar things in the future since for me Dominions 3 is Dominions 3 with CBM.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

So we are 4, we want a map with ~60 provinces.

Small ones:
http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:dominionsofheroes
http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:frostbite
http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:ossya

Bigger ones:
http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:volcanicrebirth
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost ... stcount=13 ideal size, if we ignore the water.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=710130 No independents

Right size:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost ... ostcount=1 huh? I found one? no, invalid link :(

The alternative would be an random generated one. Oppinions so far?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Game created!

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi ... owingMagma
(With an random map 60 land + 0 sea).
Map can be changed if wished for...

Mod and Map can be found here: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48811
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

When I run field of battle, I see independents. What do they mean by no independents?

Anyway, the small ones are probably too small, Ossya being more stomachable than the rest if we want a quick game. Yalun Som has way too much water. Fields of Battle generated independents when I tried it, so I'm not sure what 'no independents' is supposed to mean, but if it has independents it seems like it would be okay.

So, yeah. Fields of Battle or Volcanic Rebirth seem alright.

Edit: Semi-ninja'd. That one seems alright if we want to do a random.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Created the game with an random map, as I wrote above that can be changed.

Votes for Map:
1 x Fields of Batte
1 x Volcanic Rebirth

I replaced all Warhoof weapons in the mod with hoof weapons (find and replace, I love you).
Nothing else got changed.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Pretender for Gani, then we could start.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I've been pretty busy the last few days, but I should be able to turn in a pretender this evening.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Alright. I grabbed the Dom3 computer around half an hour ago. I threw together an imprisoned ageless olm with decent scales and a bit of magical diversity, and then I tried emailing in the "nation_72_0.2h" file.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

well you did not try, you succeded :-)

I had quickhost deaktivated to change the map if wished.
Game starts now.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Excellent. I'm going to get some sleep now, but soon the people of this world will tremble before the power of Argalath the Underwhelming, Dread King of Gani!
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I beg to differ. This land shall tremble before the might of Nayo. C'mon, flowing magma? We're practically in the name. Our conquest was foretold in the pseudo-random seed of the universe.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

1st turn in. I didn't realize I got composite archers in my starting force. Pretty nice. However, I really want to see how effective my expensive sacred cavalry is, so I'm probably going to stick with recruiting that for now.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Turn 2 in. I've started reanimating mediocre longdead infantry and sent out my first expansion party. I'm hoping to build a second fort fairly early on, so I won't fall too far behind in magical research.

The longdead will be useful in a couple turns when I need troops in front to catch arrows and lances. I see a cavalry province next to me already.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Combined arms tactics? The only real way to fight war is to mass one of the same soldier.