Book of Hallowed WTF

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Book of Hallowed WTF

Post by virgil »

I'm not going to go into detail on the rest of this supplement (yet?), but I just want to vent about the creature section.

This is concerning The Book of Hallowed Might, Monte Cook's divine-magic sourcebook. Flavour-wise, I'd choose this over BoED nine ways to Sunday school. Mechanics-wise, it's average/typical, some good, some bad.

In this case, I'm focusing on the WTF bad. Specifically, the elemental angels. What tha 'ell?! All but one of them are CR 5, FIVE!!, and have holy word 7+ times per day (water gets it at will) as a 12th level caster. If you're a level 5 party, that means instant paralysis for 1d10 minutes, no save. And they will go first, because all but the Angel of Stone have a +9 Initiative. They also all have SR 21, so that level 5 party is going to have to roll 16+ to touch them with magic. Oh, and they all have ACs in the 25 to 27 range AND fast heal 2. They also all have the ability to summon a Medium elemental 1/day with 100% success, 50% if they want a Large one.

The CR 6 Angel of Earth, the supposedly more powerful one, has crappier DR to the Angel of Air and no ability to cast holy word.

I have no idea what the hell he was thinking.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!