So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I saw a video by digi about GITS and if I'm not mistaken he said it was an reboot set when s9 was being formed.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It's centered around the creation of Section 9, but as I understand it it's not in continuity with either Stand Alone Complex+2nd Gig or the old movie.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Kaelik wrote: Have you watched them?
I watched 3 Arise OVAs (are they OVAs? Is that a thing any more?) and saw nothing out of place.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

sigma999 wrote:
Kaelik wrote: Have you watched them?
I watched 3 Arise OVAs (are they OVAs? Is that a thing any more?) and saw nothing out of place.
As compared to the backstory provided in flashbacks in 2nd Gig? Yeah, I think I could qualify a few things as "out of place."
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Arise was sort of the prequel if i understood that correctly.
This movie was, i think, the end of Arise and after this movie would chronologically come the first GITS movie. And after that the normal SAC Series and OVAs and somewhere in there then also the 2nd GITS movie.

And yeah, Arise does not fit together with the poker game stories <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I didn't watch Arise before seeing this movie, but The Major's backstory accident is different; here it's fetal chemical weapons exposure vs. plane crash as a toddler.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

name_here wrote:It's centered around the creation of Section 9, but as I understand it it's not in continuity with either Stand Alone Complex+2nd Gig or the old movie.
The end of this movie is the beginning of the original movie.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Nnot quite, no . .
It was an hommage to it though.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Stahlseele wrote: And yeah, Arise does not fit together with the poker game stories <.<
Oh shit I forgot! The game with the tachikoma, the sniper tells his war story of meeting the Major....
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah that one ^^
Well, to be fair, they left it quite ambivalent wether or not what he was telling was the truth as well . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Noragami: Some people have had a plan that involves Inazami.

Protip: This is a universal sign of a very bad plan.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

thank you for this one ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I have some taste, so I didn't get any of the jokes, because why would I ever torture myself by watching that show. There have been honest X shows in the past where I didn't watch the show/movie/played the game and I still appreciated the jokes, that one just wasn't one of them.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I never got One Piece, but I've always wanted to see the DBZ/One Piece crossover.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I find One Piece (and Soul Eater) are great for watching while on my exercise bike as I endeavor not to pokevolve into the Blob.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I'll probably never go back to watching One Piece. I'm already tired of how drawn out the story is as is. I can't imagine sitting through filler. I mean, I LIKE One Piece but god damn.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

MGuy wrote:I'll probably never go back to watching One Piece. I'm already tired of how drawn out the story is as is. I can't imagine sitting through filler. I mean, I LIKE One Piece but god damn.
Don't watch it, read it!
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

So, new Real Robot series, Gundam Thunderbolt, aka Jazz Gundam, aka "In space, everybody can hear the music you're playing in your cockpit, because fuck physics"

On the other hand, for a change the federation officers actually hand out the latest gundam model to a veteran pilot who proved his worth in the battlefield instead of the first random kid they meet. Quite gritty, enjoyed the first episode.

Also Captain Hook is working for Zeon, which is kinda funny when the Zeon pilot grunts in the same episode have multi-finger hand prosthetics.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

GATE is back.

Watching Japanese military propaganda is a weird experience. It's so much more pacifist than everyone else's military propaganda.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

name_here wrote:GATE is back.

Watching Japanese military propaganda is a weird experience. It's so much more pacifist than everyone else's military propaganda.
That's because the fact that they have a standing military worth a damn is the military propaganda.

Don't know where the loli factors in, though.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I think that the JSDF went to the producers and were like: "Could you please do something where we aren't utterly ineffectual and embarrassingly outclassed? Please? Just once?"

Anyway, I actually like Gate. Maybe it's because I've grown weary of antiquity fetishists pretending that swords are deadlier than guns, but something about seeing a medieval siege broken with a blackhawk helicopter gives me a happy.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I was a bit skeptic when I heard "military propaganda", but actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit, in particular since there's axe crazy gothic loli for some variety. Thanks for the recommendation!

Magic has played surprisingly little role.

Although what strains my belief the most is that out of 10 000 SDF (mostly) male soldiers, zero of them tried to get any pussy in the multiple months they've been there. Not even from the local whores. Are they all actually secretly otakus handpicked by the japanese military for that purpose?

Also didn't the not-rome emperor ordered all villages between the gate hill and capital to be burned down and the wells poisoned right away at episode 2? Because nobody seems to have bothered following those orders.
Mask_De_H wrote:

That's because the fact that they have a standing military worth a damn is the military propaganda.
To be fair, when you have rifles/tanks/gunships and your opponent has roman-era weapons and armor at best, you would need to be pretty incompetent to lose. I see it more as a "guns/explosives beats swords/bows" lesson.

Mask_De_H wrote: Don't know where the loli factors in, though.
All animes must have at least one token loli. You'll be accused of national high treason if you don't.

I believe that there's also some law that if there's guns and melee weapons in the same show, you need to have at least one scene where a melee character defeats a bunch of gun wielders while deflecting their bullets.

Luckily the not-rome army never bothered to drill their soldiers in the art of bullet deflecting practised by the local priestesses. Or include mages in their ranks. Or tried to tame a red dragon.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

We're talking about the military that recruits with ads like this (the comparison with US ads is awesome)