So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I'll second Simoun and Legend of Galactic Heroes. My family has been watching LoGH when we get the chance over the past year or so, and we're about twenty episodes from the end. Creating and supplying the number of ships in the battles would be a logistical nightmare, and it's not really explained how battles stretch on for hours when ships appear to pop like balloons from the slightest blow, but the politics and character interactions more than make up for it.

I haven't really had a chance to watch One Piece since I stopped watching it on 4Kids. Yes, I liked their dub. I didn't exactly have the original on hand to compare it to. If it really sucked as bad as everyone says it did, I imagine the awesomeness of proper subs or the other dub will blow my mind.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I've spent the night watching half the Gurren Lagann series. The male chauvanistic attitude is so apparent. I usually hate that sort of shit. but why the fuck do I like this show so much?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Because it's close to over the top awesome maybe?
I ain't sure, haven't really watched it myself yet . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Why is every story from Key fucking depressing as hell!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Cynic wrote:I've spent the night watching half the Gurren Lagann series. The male chauvanistic attitude is so apparent. I usually hate that sort of shit. but why the fuck do I like this show so much?
I feel like I should hate it - the Shonen "FUCK YEAH WE'RE MEN" thing, and the anti-science "We'll just make it work because we're awesome and we have BALLS!" approach (see how much shit forehead-boy gets, whether he's religious (early) or scientific (late) it doesn't matter: he's wrong and the "make shit up and win" guys are right).

But then there are giant robots that dual-wield galaxies, and suddenly everything is invalid.

That said, I prefer a later creation of theirs: Needless. Instead of being over-the-top GAR mecha almost-parody, it's over-the-top GAR post-apocalyptic-superpower-fighting (see: Fist of the North Star) almost-parody. With a very... similar... cast to TTGL (whiny kid who is main character, manly hero guy with crazy sunglasses, angry big-boobed girl, idiot guy who fights hero guy at first then teams up with him, etc.)

The art style is very reminiscent of the old post-apocalyptic superpower fighting types, and often bright and nice to look at. Everyone has their one special power ("I can create blasts of fire", "I create short-term mind-control scents", "I use the power of lesbianism to cause long-term mind control" etc. - all the usual ones), except they often get used in actually interesting ways.

Let's take the angry girl, for instance. She has metamorphosis, powered by high calorie energy drinks. She can do the following:
[*]Make herself look like someone else
[*]Turn her arm into the drill that will pierce the heavens
[*]Grow extra limbs (when she has the super-energy-booster added)
[*]Morph her body from "me, injured" to "me, uninjured" (as seen in Terminator 2 I guess)
[*]Turn into a wall
[*]Regular "my body is steel, you can't hurt me" stuff

So basically, imagine an RPG where everyone has one superpower. Because roleplayers tend to be all over the "How can I use my power to do other weird stuff?"

The kid has no superpower, but is really good at thinking, to the point that in several fights he's the real hero.

Then we have the fact that the closing of the first half is practically industrial-grade lesbianism. I approve heartily of this. Even though only one of the characters involved actually does swing that way in the show. Also, whereas TTGL gives us "a bath scene where a guy gets a finger jammed up his ass", this gives boobs, and panty shots. In the words of the hero guy, "There is always time for more panty shots!"

Oh, and the extras on one of the discs: something like 12 mini-episodes (5 minutes each, IIRC - maybe fewer), of events that happened in the mango but are presented as an alternate universe silliness thing here. It's rather funny.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Going to jump on the Legend of the Galactic Heroes bandwagon, fantastic series.

Railgun is kind of ok, but its' also a spin-off of To Aru Majutsu No Index, and Railgun's actually better in that. Also, read the Railgun manga because its' a lot better than the anime. Just watching the anime means you know very little about Railgun's character(like the illegal clone experiment).

You also don't get to meet Accelerator, the best character in the whole franchise.

EDIT: To Aru Majutsu No Index isn't actually all that great- Railgun was the best thing to come out of the entire setting.
Last edited by Vnonymous on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I haven't finished it yet, so maybe I'll hate it by the end, but so far TTGL gets a pass with me because the dopey shit Kamina says is so transparently narcissistic that he undermines his own message as often as not--It's seems more "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am" as opposed to the usual passive-aggressive cynical bullshit I've seen in awful crap like Highschool of the Dead.

Still, I suspect that maybe I'm just getting pretty inured to that shit--these days about the only stuff that consistently gets me grinding my teeth is when you're reading/watching some coming of age story and they get to the cliched "cutting the apron strings" scenes. Those all too often feature an otherwise reasonable character telling a woman that you need the pride of a man to really understand how awful it is to never be allowed to stand on your own. That's weapons-grade irony right there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

wow, people are just now watching Gurren Lagaan?

sadly most of those anime are just flashes in the pan, and never finish the story, just T&A and fan-service. not bad, but sadly has a good story that gets Gainax'd.

@Koumei: you character collection group is in MANY harem/ecchi anime as well as others:

Tenchi Muyo
Outlaw Star
Eiken Club
Magikano
Maburaho
Cowboy Bebop
Ranma 1/2

its a format that works, so they dont change it, just change the character, move some positions around for who does what, and give a different theme or backstory. unlike D&D, anime knows and understand "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Last edited by shadzar on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I haven't seen most of the anime, but I read all the volumes of Ranma. Watching the first few episodes gave me a much better appreciation of how much Ranma and Ryoga improved over the course of the series. It also made me realize my initial estimate of Ranma being able to defeat was based on late-series Ranma vs. early series Inuyasha.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

shadzar wrote:wow, people are just now watching Gurren Lagaan?
I just lack the compulsion to go check out whatever Gainax puts out and TTGL isn't the sort of thing I usually watch.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If Inuyasha kept up the tone of the first 20-30 episodes for the rest of the series it would've kicked more ass than Chun-Li fighting a legion of double-butted Donkey Stormtroopers. I'm still not quite sure how this dark, gothic fantasy (see: Shura and Koga before he was whitewashed) morphed into... well, that.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I'm pretty sure I've only really seen the first 20-30 episodes of Inuyasha, though maybe I got a little farther than that. In the latest episode I saw, Naraku had most of the jewel shards and Inuyasha could spam Wind Scar so much he didn't bother calling the attack, but he didn't seem to have any of the other special attacks I heard he learns later.

The episodes before "Naraku gets away again!" became the entire plot were definitely better.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

its just a case, like many others, where the real plot is hidden until after the intro to get you into the show. or as some would consider jumping the shark early on...but was always intended to go that way.

we had to get to know miroku, inuyasha, kagome, songo, and shippo. they met at a bar and then.... well it took them a few episodes to get to the story to build the relationship.

also consider Inuyasha is a love story written by a female mangaka, so it isnt going to be Tite Kubo's Bleach that has a lot more action, and has more emotional development between the characters.

Sunrise quit at episode 167, but finally released the ending of the manga as a movie to finish off what happened.

like most anime the pacing for the episodes can be vastly different than the manga, and Inuyasha caught up to the manga, but instead of the 100 episodes of filler like Naruto was given, Inuyasha just ended.

at least inuyasha finished sometime, unlike many that are ended abruptly like say Gakuan Alice, Kekieshi, etc.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The whole - my will/penis is so strong that I can make Gurren laggan new things each episode is so fucking weird.

So many deux ex machinas appear but this show is still enjoyable. WHY? WHY?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Cynic wrote:So many deux ex machinas appear but this show is still enjoyable. WHY? WHY?
Okay. Am I the only one who doesn't like Gurren Lagann? I DON'T GET IT.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The reason is do the impossible, see the invisible, row, row, FIGHT THE POWA!

But at least note that just about everyone here has said "I shouldn't like it, it's all kinds of things I don't like, and yet..." It's like the Nobby* of anime.

*As in, the Discworld Nobby, with his Charisn'tma
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Just thinking about it, I think one of the interesting parts of the show is the sudden arc changes. Each arc changes the type of plot and the scope increases. I just started the anti-spiral and the change in the scope of both the enemy and the setting is pretty damn cool.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Koumei wrote:The reason is do the impossible, see the invisible, row, row, FIGHT THE POWA!
I get that the over-the-top "Not awesome enough? THEN I'LL JUST BE AWESOMER" is what everyone cites as its cool factor, but that is exactly what about it that made me cringe. I get (hope) that's it's done while wholly aware of its own silliness, but I still couldn't get into it.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

DSMatticus wrote:
Cynic wrote:So many deux ex machinas appear but this show is still enjoyable. WHY? WHY?
Okay. Am I the only one who doesn't like Gurren Lagann? I DON'T GET IT.
it is the Gintama of Mecha/Voltron type anime. it was in a death spiral since episode 2.
Nihilistic_Impact
NPC

Post by Nihilistic_Impact »

I have to say that I've become a fan of Redline, it just strikes a wonderful surreal nerve in my head that lets me just recline and enjoy the show.

Spice & Wolf is another pleasure, the economics of it just intrigue me.
I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.

-H. P. Lovecraft
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

The anime that I am currently watching is Wakfu.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have watched the railgun: someone's watching you OVA.
and i liked the Ookami-san series . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Nihilistic_Impact wrote:Spice & Wolf is another pleasure, the economics of it just intrigue me.
sadly the love story pans out too quickly, and the Lawrence's merchant skills are underdeveloped in the show beyond trickery and (Horo's) gimmicks, but i love the show for what it is.

hopefully they will be inclined to continue with something more along those lines, even though i think the light novels ended. then we can see maybe more characters in that land doing merchant trade. and hopefully they will make a 3rd season of the series to continue on to the north and Yoits.

it is a VERY good show to related to the D&D and medieval type of RPG to show how things get from one place to another..

the pyrite was the most developed part of the economics portion of it from what i saw and read, and that was a wonderful part. the silver coins just got too quickly into combat that mercantilism or money-handling.
Last edited by shadzar on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I watch a number of anime recently, mostly ONAs:

Wings of Honneamise: I definitely see why this is considered a classic anime movie.

Time of Eve: Pretty decent.

Aquatic Language: Waste of time.

Pale Cocoon: Pretty good.

Kaichuu!: Okay, but feel more like a prologue to a longer series.

Navia Drapt: Pretty forgetable.

Hoi Hoi San: Okay, and funny.

6 Angels: Terrible

Steady x Study: Forgettable, and I think the first anime that I've seen a CG paper airplane.

Layton Kyouju to Eien no Utahime: Good movie, definitely watch if you are a fan of the Layton series.

Cat Shit One: This was good one, really good CG.

Chocolate Underground: This was a good one.

Candy Boy: Pretty decent Shoujo Ai.

She and her Cat: I liked it.

Del Power X: Silly and fun.

Magical School Lunar: Really silly and it was okay.

Fireball series 1 and 2: I really liked it.

Urda: It was okay, but very predictable.

Mnemosyne: Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi: Pretty decent, the twist was predictable as well.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

On a more serious note, this anime was fucking amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfl2zTd-G0

If you can get your hands on it, watch it.
Last edited by Dominicius on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.