So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

maglag wrote:Although what strains my belief the most is that out of 10 000 SDF (mostly) male soldiers, zero of them tried to get any pussy in the multiple months they've been there. Not even from the local whores. Are they all actually secretly otakus handpicked by the japanese military for that purpose?
Well as Japanese military propaganda, they really have to distance themselves from the actual history of WW2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

Note: While this point is specifically about Japanese history, it's worth noting that military propaganda for any other nation / state / city / tribe / sports team in the history of history has similar incidents of mass rape to blatantly disregard.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I presume it's because during the scene where it's established that they don't visit the prostitutes there's a 500-page thick report labeled "Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the Special Region" lying on a desk. That sort of thing tends to put people off.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

name_here wrote:I presume it's because during the scene where it's established that they don't visit the prostitutes there's a 500-page thick report labeled "Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the Special Region" lying on a desk. That sort of thing tends to put people off.
There's also the fact that the they don't operate very far from the gate, so most of the soldiers can walk back to Tokyo when they're on break.
Mask_De_H wrote:
name_here wrote:GATE is back.

Watching Japanese military propaganda is a weird experience. It's so much more pacifist than everyone else's military propaganda.
That's because the fact that they have a standing military worth a damn is the military propaganda.

Don't know where the loli factors in, though.
The JSDF actually is one of the best trained and best equipped militaries in the world. They have to be, given the location of China. They lack experience because they havn't actually fought anyone since WWII, but it's a mistake to underestimate them.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

maglag wrote:I believe that there's also some law that if there's guns and melee weapons in the same show, you need to have at least one scene where a melee character defeats a bunch of gun wielders while deflecting their bullets.
It's worth noting that in GATE, in the scene in season one where Rory more or less does this, she does get hit, like hit a lot, the bullets just don't actually do much - they're shown popping out of her Wolverine style in the next scene.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Mechalich wrote:
maglag wrote:I believe that there's also some law that if there's guns and melee weapons in the same show, you need to have at least one scene where a melee character defeats a bunch of gun wielders while deflecting their bullets.
It's worth noting that in GATE, in the scene in season one where Rory more or less does this, she does get hit, like hit a lot, the bullets just don't actually do much - they're shown popping out of her Wolverine style in the next scene.
Rory is an Apostle, which is basically a junior god, highly superhuman, immortal unless you completely dismember her and separate her parts, and will eventually evolve into a full god after a thousand years.

Pretty much no one but Apostles are able to fight on that level.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Schwarzes Marken, prequel to that Total Eclipse anime I watched a while ago, is just starting.

Basically, humanity is more advanced and has mech suits, but Totally Not The Zerg landed in central Asia in 1973. It is now 1983 and the characters are an elite squadron of mech pilots defending East Germany and praying the Stasi doesn't murder them because governments in this setting are bad at prioritizing. Also they have added a UN pilot hailing from West Germany, so the praying has intensified.

I'm hoping this one does not take a detour from being a good mech vs. alien action show into being a shitty rom-com.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

name here wrote:I'm hoping this one does not take a detour from being a good mech vs. alien action show into being a shitty rom-com.
Unlikely. The Muv-Luv universe is based on a series of hentai games, so yeah...
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Mechalich wrote:
name here wrote:I'm hoping this one does not take a detour from being a good mech vs. alien action show into being a shitty rom-com.
Unlikely. The Muv-Luv universe is based on a series of hentai games, so yeah...
Well, so are Fate/Stay Night and Nanoha.

Also I'm totally up for non-shitty anime rom-coms even in my action shows.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

hyzmarca wrote:
name_here wrote:I presume it's because during the scene where it's established that they don't visit the prostitutes there's a 500-page thick report labeled "Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the Special Region" lying on a desk. That sort of thing tends to put people off.
There's also the fact that the they don't operate very far from the gate, so most of the soldiers can walk back to Tokyo when they're on break.
Actually, the scene in question happens inside the capital of the enemy empire. It makes sense that your special forces, deep inside enemy territory, can't do whatever (whoever) they want.
Last edited by ishy on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So I'm reminded that I never did properly bitch about why Total Eclipse was a shitty rom-com.

It kicks off with a 3-episode prologue titled Fall Of The Old Capital wherin we're introduced to Yui, our female lead, and learn that she's from a wealthy Japanese family, she joins the military out of a sense of obligation, and first sees combat as a minor security detail on the edge of the defense of Kyoto, which goes utterly to shit when it turns out that the BETA have a new type of AA laser beast that can depress its line of fire by like twenty degrees more than the old one, and the mechs use flight for tactical movement below the AA's firing arc and find out about the new one when it blows them out of the sky. Yui's unit learns it when the one veteran assigned to keep an eye on the newbies eats a laser beam. She assumes command and badasses her way most of the way to safety before her mech gets brought down.

Next episode, we are introduced to our male lead, who is a US test pilot assigned to pilot an experimental Japanese mech Yui has designed but for some reason does not pilot. He spends his first several episodes fucking up and being yelled at by Yui for being worse at operating a mech than she was on literally her first day of training*, to which is response is to be racist. He's half Japanese and is mad about his dad abandoning his mother, which would be a better reason if his dad weren't almost certainly dead in a holding action in Manchuria if I've estimated relative dates correctly. I immediately hated him. Eventually he stops fucking up, so Yui stops yelling at him and they become friends and I stopped hating him.

Then the rom-com starts and whenever she's not actually in a cockpit/command center barking orders Yui is the one who powers the rom-com plot by being too shy and indecisive to express her feelings and is somehow worse at this than the lab-grown crazy psychic Soviet twins. Sometimes the dichotomy is actually cute/funny, usually it's just infuriating. I actually watch straight-up romantic comedies on occasion and I still kept saying "Let her get back in the mech. I like her and the show better when she's in the mech."

Then the final arc hit and there were explosions and aliens and Nazis and Yui got in her mech and all was right with the world. But goddamn did parts of the journey suck.

*To be fair, the mechs he's experienced with have a different design philosophy and less responsive controls. But still.
Last edited by name_here on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Oh man, Crunchyroll has picked up Ghost Stories. They've picked up the dub of Ghost Stories.

Basically, imagine an Abridged Series team got a license and a budget and were told to dub an entire series in the style of an abridged series.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

One Punch Man. it's a pity I cant find episode 9 without some person I don't care about showing his reaction to it; the series and the webcomic are very good.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

name_here wrote:Basically, imagine an Abridged Series team got a license and a budget and were told to dub an entire series in the style of an abridged series.
This sounds amazing. Do want.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Anime Club has on a couple occasions done the D20 of Ghost Stories, where we roll a d20 and watch the corresponding dubbed episode. It is fantastic.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

"She's a ghost AND a bitch!"
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

... He's not kidding. This isn't "so stupid it's accidentally funny" territory. Someone actually bought the rights to Ghost Stories, deliberately set the existing script on fire, and then replaced it with a bunch of jokes about lesbians, religious crazy, and other random bullshit. It's an officially licensed abridged series. How is that even a thing, and who do I throw my money at to get more of them?
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

DSMatticus wrote:How is that even a thing, and who do I throw my money at to get more of them?
It's kind of a unique thing. It's partly a matter of history. during the time period when ADV acquired Ghost Stories the tendency was 'dub everything' it was just what they did. It was also part of a very brief time when the major US anime companies tried to liscense everything because they thought the market would grow forever (they were wrong).

The Japanese producer gave ADV fairly liberal guidelines when it came to dubbing the show, and ADV chose to make a joke series out of it.The reason its on Crunchyroll now is that ADV has been non-existent for long enough that the license lapsed, and apparently the dub rights came with the streaming rights.

Unfortunately the economics of anime production have changed significantly in the past decade and a low-level show like that is simply not going to get licensed for a dub release at all, since dubbing is by far the most expensive thing you can do for a US release. Instead it would get licensed for streaming and sit in the back-catalog of crunchyroll with a lot of other steaming garbage (go to shows and scroll all the way down to reveal the horrors).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I would much rather dubbers spend their time on actually good shows making actually good (and even broadcast) dubs, than trying to dub garbage shows into abridged series.

Abridged series are better abridged series than garbage anime dubs. Ghost Story isn't any higher in writing quality than the average current abridged series, it's just Novel.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Novelty goes a long way, sometimes.

Cf: Samurai Pizza Cats
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Hicks wrote:One Punch Man. it's a pity I cant find episode 9 without some person I don't care about showing his reaction to it; the series and the webcomic are very good.
Hulu has it to episode 13 12. Dunno if a proxy can let you view from outside the US if that is preventing your watching.
Last edited by erik on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Looking for:
Konpeki no Kantai
and
Kyokujitsu no Kantai
made by J. C. Staff

English titles are "Deep Blue Fleet" and "Fleet of the Rising Sun" respectively.

any of you ever heard of these?
according to wiki, there's laser discs, dvd and blu ray of this, but i can't find any ._.

needs to be in english for me to be able to enjoy it. preferably subtitled, but i will take dubs if needed be. if there are no web based sourced to be found *cough cough* i am willing to buy Discs.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Neither Wikipedia nor Anidb think Konpeki no Kantai has ever been translated outside of Japanese by anyone in anyway. They are probably right, because Konpeki no Kantai sounds like an alt history fapfic written by someone who jerks off to the Japanese flag. The market outside of Japan would be virtually nonexistent - basically just people who wanted to watch a trainwreck of bad taste and go WTF.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I can say that I don't think I've really enjoyed a Gundam anime in a while but I have just started watching and am really enjoying Iron Blooded Orphans.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Started watching this new series called Grigmar of Fantasy and Ash about a bunch of amnesiacs in D&D land.

Second episode has a scene that portrays a bunch of 1st level PC's trying to kill a goblin who very much wants to stay alive. It's pretty horrifying to watch actually.

Bon Appetit
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

You just know that if this was written by Mohiro Kitoh, the characters would have been 12 and raping goblins by episode 3.