[Dom3]Newbie EA game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It DID take a while to get used to things. We have crazy mages all over the place and I've never played wraparound before. I basically just played it safe and did a bunch of crafting.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Jarl v Ba'al, FIGHT!
Round 1: Ba'al, by fatigue-based rout-causing critical.

Let's put a hold on round 2.

(We appeared to try and take the same province. Sorry about that. I'm all for a bit more peace, so don't take that as an act of aggression.)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Could I get a 12-hour extension? I've been (and will be for a bit more) considerably busier than usual. I might not be able to get my turn in on time.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Hosting postponed for NewbieGame by 12 hours. The game will now host at 09:04 GMT on Friday April 27th.
Please note that this information will not be updated on the game status page for a few minutes.

Return to game page
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

If that's going to be an ongoing problem, I'm okay with setting the turn interval longer.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I guess I didn't need that extension after all. Admittably, I'm doing this turn on four hours of sleep so I'm sure there are some glaring errors and mistakes.

Edit: I was also the first to get my turn in; as a matter of fact, we all seem to be getting them in close to the deadline pretty much every turn (unless I'm last and have the energy to double turn). Is everyone comfortable with the current host interval? I don't mind extending it.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still in this. I missed a couple turns for various stupid reasons mostly related to being bad at reading GMT. I do plan to do the current turn today.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Yeah, I think we should bump this up to a 48 hour host schedule: would that make it easier for everyone? Besides, I'll be out of town this weekend, so while I'll probably be able to get my turns in it's a little rocky.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Bumping to a 48-hour schedule now.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Hm. It appears Fectin has gone AI. I haven't really been paying too much attention to the wars in the sea. Well, I suppose we should get rid of that silly NAP thing and start throwing giants at eachother; I mostly just want to get this game over, anyway. It's been an interesting experience, but I didn't really put myself in a good late game position and have been half-assing it for quite awhile. But I don't want to go out without a little more fight experience; get a little bit more learning out of my first game before I give up.

So, let's say declare on turn 59, orders on turn 61, landing on 62.

P.S. Oh god so many things from R'lyeh.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Sorry, I had no viable path to winning, and had yet to affect in any way the giants who were sitting on my provinces.

Also, it turned into a chore instead of fun. that was the real kicker.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

fectin wrote:Sorry, I had no viable path to winning, and had yet to affect in any way the giants who were sitting on my provinces.

Also, it turned into a chore instead of fun. that was the real kicker.
I know exactly what you mean. This game started losing steam for me around the time players started dropping. Mostly, because they dropped with me in terrible positions where I couldn't get any of the spoils of war.

Niefelheim was using small raiding forces to hold down forts and provinces while avoiding the player's real armies; I had actual castle-cracking armies ready to throw around, but couldn't find a target with them through Niefelheim's raiders. A lot of it was trying to avoid stepping on Niefelheim's toes while simultaneously not coordinating with him, but the rest of it was the fact that these players went AI with basically all of their territory already under Niefelheim raiding parties holding their forts. And the AI could not break even those raiding parties. If real players had been running the show, they would have driven some of those units off and I would have been able to step in with my armies and actually get something. Instead, the AI broke themself on those raiding forces by being terrible and Niefelheim was/is able to take their territories at leisure.

I probably should have declared war on Niefelheim as soon as I realized this was happening; the amount of territory they got out of the war is disproportionate to the force they had to hold it. But I had other games running which were infinitely more fun at the time and I realized I was getting into my late game slow and blah blah blah I was basically just on autopilot.

At this point, all I'm really hoping to get out of the remaining game is some experience with late-game battles.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

DSM: I've been aware of some of your concerns for the last few turns. Let me go ahead and say that I'm not going to hold you to any treaties you made with my predecessor. If you want a fight, bring it on and we'll win or die with honor.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I believe I had an NAP-3 with Ikeren, but I broke that on turn 59. Of course, if you'd like to commence affairs sooner rather than later I'm game; Hinnom will order attacks this turn if you're waving that agreement.

Let's get this bloody mess over with, for better or worse. At the very least, we'll see how the Rephaim of Hinnom fair against the sons of the Rimtursar.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I see no point in making you cool your heels for a few turns while I gobble up AI provinces.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Sadly, that went about like I expected. Which is to say, not well. Moving on to experiment #2.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Actually, I'd like to just cede this one; my loss is fairly obvious at this point (super outnumbered in terms of thugs and SC's), and I'm really just dragging it out to see if I can learn something about the late game, buuut it's turning out to be more work than it is fun (probably for both of us).
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I was about to post the same. I really have no interest in playing out an advantage someone elese built up with units I'm not familiar with.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Mister_Sinister: can you finish this game if you get the chance?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Doing so now.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Doing so now.
My inbox thanks you.