Interesting Abilities for NPCs

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

...You Lost Me
Duke

Interesting Abilities for NPCs

Post by ...You Lost Me »

So I enjoy making my players think, and using liberal numbers of puzzle monsters (please don't flame me), and I've been running low on juice because my imagination is weak. So I'm going to toss out here the ideas I have in mind, used or unused, and I'm interested in getting ideas from you members of the den as well. These ideas stem from a rogue-level CR 6-8 game.

Used
  • Putting the players in an area with an invisible attacker who becomes visible when the players hit him. The players can always tell what side he's on when they take damage. If he is hit, his square becomes a sight square, and anyone standing in it can always see him. He moves in a pattern, attacking each player via teleportation, and the sight squares refresh once, forcing them to keep the pattern in mind. (I had an assassin teleporting in a fog of blood, with an illusory double just for kicks)
  • Players must kill all the minions that a mob boss drops before dealing damage to it, and the mob boss adds minions each turn (I had diminishing numbers 8, 4, 2, then 1).
  • Players have to take out a given number of points (I had 36 chains to be broken that held the MacGuffin) while one or more of the players discovers important things about the plot, and simultaneously needs to save against a continuously increasing DC (I had Fort starting at DC 1).
Thinking About
  • Players have to guard a macguffin that either is inactive, beneficial, or detrimental based on a pattern of 5 which they get to glimpse sometime earlier in the story (N,B,G,N,G was my plan)
And that's all I've got. Any suggestions?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.