The Conversion Upon Us

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

The Conversion Upon Us

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

The Gaming Den will soon be moving to another server, and of course we want all of you to move with us.

I am assured that all previous posts and such will make the new move. However, there is a slight complication.

To wit:

Important: How This Works: Forums and threads are converted directly. However, converting the users requires an extra bit of precaution. Because a bbBoard v2 admin is able to see and modify ALL the user's details (including email address, and any personal information entered), users must individually agree to having their details imported. This is because most users would understandably be very upset if we just gave out their personal details to anyone who wanted them.

So to combat this, converting users is a 3-step process:

1. You fill in the form below.
2. The users receive an e-mail, asking them if they want their details to be converted to the new board or not.
3. Once a user clicks the link in the e-mail to convert, their details are added to your bbBoard v2 board.

However, forums and threads can be imported instantly.

Is this going to a problem? If so, how can we help make it better?

[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: The Conversion Upon Us

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

Ramnza and I would like to take a moment to thank all of the folks who have worked to help a very non-techie admin rescue his little message board from the clutches of the vile BbAdmins.

In particular, I'd like to thank Maj, Zherog, and the rest of Nifty Management for including me in their revolt. Of course, neilhulz from Nifty has pretty much rigged everything so all I had to do was say "Cool. Let's do that." and throw some switches in the ADMIN PANEL.

Thanks to Murtak, Aycarus, and Crissa for weighing in to and/or working on making the move easier.

Thanks to Incarnadine, my Personal Geek Girl, who, although too humble to take any of the credit, has been invaluable on the techie side of TGD Administration since its creation.

To anybody who I am forgetting: Please understand that it is not intentional. Ramnza and I love you for your contribution, no matter how great or small.

[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

We hope in the next 7-14 days to be able reveal our new URL and have folks start converting their accounts to the new software. After the move is official, an announcement will be posted (with the new URL) letting you know that your posts are no longer an "Official Part of The Gaming Den™". Until then, happy posting, and watch this thread for updates!

Game On,
fbmf
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I don't see that being a problem, does anyone who isn't Frank have any RL details in their profile?
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Frankly if you just sent me new account details with a randomly generated password, the new server URL and a message saying 'go here to log in and change your password' I'd be okay with that.

If I wasn't happy with the server admin seeing my details I wouldn't have provided them.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

I have nothing that isn't on public record anyway. So I'll agree with cthulhu. I'm not sure if sending me an email will work, our spam filters are... aggressive. Anyway, here's to a happy and easy transfer :thumb:
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Basically, fbmf has no choice but to send you an e-mail to the address you used to register your account. It's how the fucked up system here does the conversion of user accounts.

Note that some folks here will get two e-mails - one from here, and one from Nifty as well.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Watch this space, I'm sure MoFo will make an announcement when the conversion begins, so you can check your spam filter dumping area.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

I have no objection to being converted.