Dom3 Horrors and Lesser Horrors in DnD

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

koz
Duke

Dom3 Horrors and Lesser Horrors in DnD

Post by koz »

I'd like to include them in my DnD campaign, but I'm not sure what monster to base them on, or if there's anything equivalent (or close enough) to that. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Something from the Far Realm, maybe.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

The fluff for Horrors suggest they feed on emotions, the units also possess a Life Drain attack, so that would be something like an Energy Drain attack, or an Ability Damage/Drain attack. You might want to consider making that a limited ability for the Lesser version, if you go that way.

There is a creature in MM2, based off an 2e Ravenloft Compendium Monster, the Feyr, or Fihyr, or something. While the base creature is made from nightmares and negative emotions, they could probably work as a stand-in for a horror with some templates/modification. I am loathe to advise making them Incorporeal, but that could work, possibly as a limited ability for the Lesser version.

There is also a creature in the Heroes of Horror sourcebook, the Phantasmal Slayer. It might fit as a stand-in for a more advanced horror.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Oh, it all depends really.

I've found that the kitchensink of D&D has vague morphologies, and have been compiling long "organization" lists to determine which sort of Aberrations belong with which classic Aberrant "over-arching" factions. Things with tentacles tend to be... "krakenspawn", Chuul are mutated Linxia; Carrion Crawlers are converted Vermin centipedes; I

For Dom3 style LA Ry'leth Freespawn;
-All need to have Aquatic, let them move at their ground speed
-
Large Carrion Crawlers - Thing Which Should not Be
(Flesh) Ooze - the various Shoggoth things;
Assassin Vines with higher speed - Vile Things/Pod Plants
Higher end Oozes, pot. Prismatic Ooze (mm3?) - Vastness
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
K
King

Post by K »

Ghost template on Giant octopuses.