[Game] Bakuhatsu High

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

elric225
NPC

Post by elric225 »

Whipstitch wrote:And even here it isn't everyone's bag: you're bound to lose some of the audience when it turns out even some of the male characters turn into busty jailbait prior to their clothes being blown off by space aliens. Such is life.
Sir, that is a selling point to some demographics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

elric225 wrote: So I was kicking it on /tg/ asking about japanese delinquent rpgs and someone tossed a link for the pdf at me.
Ah, I see. Yeah, that possibly could have been someone here, and I think I once uploaded it up there to see if people thought it was interesting - I had originally penciled the idea as being about the Schola Progenium of Skubhammer 40k, but then I was convinced, quite sensibly, that 40k is shit and the game is better by not being tethered to it.
As for the IRC thing, I think you guys are kinda...like, i don't get why you wouldn't want an irc, unless this game really is just a super tiny thing that nobodies playing.
Yeah, basically, it's incomplete, and even if it were complete, this is a forum few people know about (and even fewer like), and it's a tiny game that probably half the forum can't remember/hasn't looked at. There aren't enough people to actually support an IRC channel for it, I only log into IRC when I intend on specifically using it for something, not just to loiter and converse, and setting the whole thing up sounds like too much of a pain for no gain.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Whipstitch wrote:Actually, the accurate description would be "incomplete super tiny thing that nobody plays." It is, after all, a niche game on a niche forum* being made in one person's spare time.

*And even here it isn't everyone's bag: you're bound to lose some of the audience when it turns out even some of the male characters turn into busty jailbait prior to their clothes being blown off by space aliens. Such is life.
This is a website at least partially founded on a cult of personality around a man who used to casually reference hentai doujinshi authors.

That's less of a negative than you may think.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Mask_De_H wrote:who used to casually reference hentai doujinshi authors.
Wat.

(And to be fair, I could claim the male-to-female-transformation thing is paying homage to Magical Yuki, to the Sailor Stars, to Kampfer or to... I think there's another one I currently can't remember, but yeah, the genre is actually magical girl. Males either get to be support cast or they turn into girls. If you want to play the Shounen Fighting Hero, you do the martial arts path and wear bright orange. Preferably with a lot of hair gel. Or you do the sword-summoning thing.)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Koumei wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:who used to casually reference hentai doujinshi authors.
Wat.
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=21787#21787

This is in reference to a doujinka who draws Sailor Moon hentai. A lot of it.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So I've started working on this again. Fixing errors, trying to make things look nicer, removing added perks from the Genius trait, cleaning some powers up to make them easier to read and more simple.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And now it basically just needs art, playtesting, changing things in line with problems encountered during playtesting... and although getting someone to tackle layout and formatting would be sensible, I don't think that is actually going to happen, so as long as it remains a fun little thing that exists on the internet for free, it can also remain badly laid out, with bookmarks limited to chapters.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

If you want to use some original art alongside grabbing screenshots and whatever series art you could use without copyright issues, I can do some specific illustrations if you like em. I have nothing but time and I really like the work done on this.

I also mocked up a layout in inDesign, with a doodle placeholder. After just getting the general layout nailed down it's just a matter of minor spacing edits after stuff is copied over. Lemme know if you like it.

I've uploaded jpegs of the layout to imgur here.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll gradually be replacing the screencaps and other stolen pictures with my own stuff, yeah, but I might ask for some stuff from you.

I dig that layout, it's really easy to read and looks better than my mess of text.
Megas
NPC

Post by Megas »

Awesome system. Is there a .pdf with the rules somewhere?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You can get the latest version here for the time being.

One day I'll tidy it up some more, and all that. You know. One day.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

This looks interesting..

Also at least 1/2 of my gaming group will go *SQUEEEEE* over this.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Koumei, this is the best thing ever. If I had money, I would be giving it to you.

And here is a video of my first actions upon seeing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg0yKLE3QkM
Last edited by AndreiChekov on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If your players are going Squee, I think you should lock them under the stairs.

Anyway, what I intend to do "at some point in time" is to tidy it up so any given page is nice and easy to read, and so any given thing you write on your character sheet is quick and easy to resolve. This includes tidying up the Pet Monsters and the Transformation power, for instance. Also, I want to tidy up the "what you gain, year by year", maybe even breaking it down into a thing where you get something by the end of each term. Thus reducing "I just gained twelve new things", and also causing more "Ding, get something!" moments over the course of a campaign.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

"Forensics" is actually the formal name for speech and debate.
I have no idea why this is so.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, so as mentioned before, I have updated the rules.

Not in pdf form, however. It was for a game that didn't get off the ground, so far. But it's up on the website.

Changes since the latest pdf:
-Genius Grade no longer grants a special bonus
-Reduced the number of Clubs, and possibly Elective Subjects too
-The Trainer doesn't get to add more powers on top of those the creature already has
-Fixed up the sizing rules, mostly just by adding categories and making the differences apply based on size categories
-Cleaned up the text for a few things here and there
-Abilities are now gained on a per-term basis
-XP rules exist

Missing from this:
-How to Create Abominations
-How to Run Abominations
-Plot Hook Generator
-Rumours and Ideas

I appreciate feedback, including on ideas for how to change things, character archetypes (that you would expect in "supernatural high school anime") that need to be made possible and so on. Basically, I'd like to refine it such that, were I to publish it, the first edition would already be fantastic, with little need for FAQs, Errata or a Second Edition.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Just looked over the wiki-based rules carefully for the first time (previously I'd just gone off the 0.5 .pdf). House Nobility was split in two and Houses Ghost Sight and Monstrosity were removed. Was there any particular reason for this?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I didn't really like those two. Even at the time of including them, it was more to just make up the numbers and I didn't feel like they really fit.

And splitting Nobility helps make two different archetypes that do different things (as opposed to "The Wizard problem") and covers the very important archetype of idols that draw upon the energy of their legions of fans.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, so now the revised version on the website is basically complete. After a long break I went through and updated powers to the new system, excised references to things that no longer exist and so on. I should mention, as part of my efforts to reduce people adding things together a lot (which is apparently time-consuming and hard even if you tell them to add 5 + 2 + 1 + 1?) and to try to find ways to have the B grades feel bigger than the C grades and so on, I went through and changed to a dice pool system. I'm not saying it's ideal, I'm not sure what is ideal, but going over basic things in my head it should work well enough.

There are probably still errors here and there, mostly just typos and things. I should still probably try to incorporate more to make certain aspects of the game a bigger deal (like tying the Debates, Group Sizes and Fanbase things into more of the other systems, have more things call up the Dedicated Project rules and so on). But I'm reasonably happy with it as it is, more or less.
Mioor
NPC

Post by Mioor »

What is Elemental Super Power under maiden hearts, and what is ultimate attck under heart blade?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I don't know how I didn't catch that. I'll adjust the page at a future date, but in the meantime:

Maiden Knight:
Elemental Super Power: they gain Elemental Blast and Elemental Control powers for the element in question.
Year 2 Semester 1, she may select a sub-power for the Elemental Blast. and is Immune to the element she previously Resisted
Year 3 Semester 1, she is healed by the element in question rather than harmed (1 for 1), and any time she uses her Elemental Blast, she may apply a single effect/power she has that applies to her regular attacks, even if it doesn't make sense (for instance a Pummelling Fire Blast if she has Pummelling Attacks and Fire Blast).
Year 4 Semester 1, she gains the Elemental Control and "Elemental Blast as though a first year" even when not transformed, and when transformed, if she Focuses, she can apply all of her abilities that apply to regular attacks (so Chained and Entangling and Chi-Breaking).

Heart Blade:
Ultimate Attack is simply Hyper Attack