[Game] Bakuhatsu High

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

When I say "done well", I don't mean well written or thought out. I mean, "it's like competent people in the Imperium sat down and tried to get something going with thought put in as to how to make it work well for people".

Because to start with, it's automatic public education for all orphans - and yes, your parents are allowed to legally disown you so you are an "orphan" and get the free education.

It's free room, food etc. Of course it's shit, but remember that most people in the Imperium are eating either shit or each other. So it's no big deal.

The quality of education is... well, there's mandatory religious studies, because this is the Imperium. That's unfortunate, but they also teach literacy (rare in the Imperium), and really useful skills. Your career options upon graduating are literally:
[*]Ecclesiarchy (easy life - and wealthy, with political power to boot)
[*]Scholar (easy life - and wealthy)
[*]Medic (better than being a guardsman)
[*]Imperial Storm Trooper (better survival than a guardsman)
[*]COMMISSAR, FUCK YEAH
[*]Adepta Sororitas
[*]Inquisitor (hidden option - Inquisitors often drop by and recruit from the Schola)

So basically, Any kid has the ability to go into this, and while it's probably a Hellish existence, it's better than starving on the street or being scooped into the Imperial Guard, and afterwards, you have a much better life.

Compare this to every other aspect of how the Imperium runs things.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Koumei wrote: If/when it's complete I might still make it into a proper .pdf and share with /tg/, but they're not really interested in things that aren't:
A. Quest threads
B. Warhammer 40k (and what with 6E and the new Chaos release, they're pretty obsessed with that atm)
C. Alignment arguments
(There used to be Edition Wars, but given 4th is dead and 5th is a joke... yeah, they just don't really discuss it at all, occasionally there's a PF thing)

So maybe not.
You forgot
D. Xenophilia (when the mods don't put the boots to it)
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

If the lack of interest is going to fuck up the arrival of a PDF, then everyone on this forum who didn't give a fuck should go hang themselves, preferably upside down so they die a slow and awkward death.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll do a pdf, it's just a matter of how pretty it will be, and whether it includes mango pages and coloured art for the front cover and all that.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

First read was awesome! Need to reread soon.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

So I know its not finished, still why not try to make an Sample-Char. and look what questions turn up.
Character Creation Steps:
Step 1: Select House and make any power/ability choices involved
Step 2: Select Elective Subjects and assign Grades (D, C, C, B, B, B, A, A)
Step 3: Select Club Activity
Step 4: Select Traits (up to +5 and -5)
Step 5: Make a description and backstory, as well as deciding on your Enemy/Rival, Best Friend/BFF and Idol/Sempai/Beloved
1: House Nobility
  • Subjugation
  • Domination or Sub Powers (since the Sub Powers are missing we take Domination)
  • Automatic Status (faux nobility)
  • Grade Boost to Language Studies
2:

Code: Select all

Gym                      B-  		3d6-1
Health                   B+ 	 	3d6+1
History                  B	 	  3d6
Home Ec                  D	   	1d6
Language Studies         C --> B	3d6+?
Science                  A-	  	4d6-1
Debate	                A+	  	4d6+1
Computing                C	   	2d6
So Language Studies, House Nobility boost it from C to B, right?

3: Book Club
  • Excuses to go searching for secret tomes - adventures and rewards!
  • Automatically treats you as having a good grade for essay writing and studying, and gives a bonus to your Language Studies
  • Is seen as a class for nerds or good students, rarely in trouble
  • Can potentially learn magical spells
  • Has a rivalry with the Occult Club, which may be friendly or... not.
  • Influence: Read or Die
Does the Book Club give an double bonus to essay writing and studying (since thats in Language Studies)? How does the Club interact with House Nobility?

4:
Negative Traits
Pervert 1
Eerie 3

Positive Traits
Lucky 2
Graceful 2
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Korwin wrote:So Language Studies, House Nobility boost it from C to B, right?
That's right, it boosts it a full letter. I'm thinking that any "S" or "F" should apply after all such things - if you want to be Inept at ___ then you can't get around it using your House, you're just incredibly shit at it, moreso for all your peers being good. Likewise if you want to be The Bestest at ___, you need to actually buy that trait.
Does the Book Club give an double bonus to essay writing and studying (since thats in Language Studies)? How does the Club interact with House Nobility?
I'll add clarification later, that it gives you a partial grade boost (add + to a straight letter, remove a -, too bad if you already had a +) to Language Studies, with essay writing and studying gaining a further +1 to the roll.

As for how they interact, the Book Club likes having Nobles there, as they add an element of class and dignity - the image of people sitting quietly in chairs reading ancient poetry and stuff.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

That's right, it boosts it a full letter. I'm thinking that any "S" or "F" should apply after all such things - if you want to be Inept at ___ then you can't get around it using your House, you're just incredibly shit at it, moreso for all your peers being good. Likewise if you want to be The Bestest at ___, you need to actually buy that trait.
This is probably an editing artifact then, but you'll likely want to amend the House Magical Girl "Treat a grade as an S" to just awarding a Genius trait like the Nobles can get with Language Studies. Otherwise you just know that some House Magical Girl players will want to apply that "Treat as an S" to what would otherwise be a D-. Zero to hero is a fun storyline, but I wouldn't want promote an entire house going that way by default; people are already enamored with dump stats as it is in TTRPGs.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, yeah I'll do that.

And currently adding a bit more to the Clubs, so that they have Favoured Houses (doesn't mean much mechanically) and to add concrete benefits.

The Houses all have their abilities listed, once fixing the Houses and Clubs is all done, I'll get to actually filling those abilities in. I should also cover how combat works, I suppose.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Would like to see a short description of what the powers should do* (not so genre savy).

Also should there be a Flyer's Club?

* Thinking about converting using the setting to with M&M.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I would like one.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I'm working on the power descriptions.

I'm also wondering if one of the mandatory classes should be swapped for Meditation and Philosophy Studies, so as to have a "Will Save" stat. Or just add it, it's not like one more stat will tear things apart. Otherwise it's a matter of calling it a Math thing because STRONG BRAIN.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, you could easily fluff it as a class with an emphasis on ethics and frank discussions about why you shouldn't bully normal people with your super powers. I'd recommend that you emphasize the pointless menial labor approach to meditation and self-discipline. You know, fun stuff like copying books by hand in absolute silence for no reason. If you were to drop something I'd personally recommend demoting Home Ec since I think it'd be much easier to have characters essentially trade in favors and quests rather than worry much about saving and scrounging money given that buying power doesn't seem to be a design goal.

But with that said, I could totally see a Culinary Club taking up some of the slack if people want a dash of domestic skills but aren't feeling the Duty Club. Here's some possible stuff off of the top of my head:

Refined Palate: Bonus to detecting things by smell or taste

Distracting Hors d'oeuvres: Can produce a fine spread of treats to gain a bonus on social tests in polite company.

Iron Chef: Can fight with kitchen implements. Can handle hot objects and receives a bonus to resist being demoralized.

Global Gourmet: These guys have eaten things you wouldn't believe. Resistant to toxins and nausea.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There is already the Racing Club that covers flight, and the Cooking Club already exists. I altered it a little in line with "Home Ec is now an elective" and to add a note about resistances and cooking utensils for weapons.

And yeah, Home Ec is now an elective, replaced by Philosophy and Ethics.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Hrm. I wonder if I failed to notice the Cooking Club or if I did notice it at one point only to forget about it prior to mysteriously coming up with this great Cooking Club idea. With my brain it could go either way.

Anyway, my favorite thing about Philosophy class as a will save is how the craziest anime characters are prone to ranting about human nature in a way that really makes it sound like they failed Comparative Ethics really badly.
bears fall, everyone dies
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, a lot of clubs give "You have an effective grade of X in Y". Should I instead just actually give Club Activities a grade?

Pros:
[*]It avoids the above - you just say "X actions count as Club Activities for you if you want"
[*]People can be slackers in class but awesome at their hobbies

Cons:
[*]People can suck at their hobbies
[*]It's one more grade people have to track on their sheets
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'd rather not have people suck at their hobbies...
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I like the system where being part of a club gives you a grade boost (partial or otherwise) rather than being a grade unto itself.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Fair enough, I wasn't particularly married to the idea.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

The possibility of being an inept hobbyist actually hits me as something of a feature rather than a bug, but overall I am against the idea since I suspect pulling from the same pool of letter grades as electives and required courses could be something of a clusterfuck balance wise, particularly since there's frankly already a fair bit of overlap involved. I'm already a pinch skeptical about there being a Music elective and a Music Club and if you're supposed to assign letter grades to both of them from the same pile then that skepticism gets dialed all the way up to 11.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, the Combat section is done. I revamped the Status Effects section so that there are six, instead of something like sixteen. You just flavour a status effect with causes and keywords now and move on.

Yes, now to keep doing powers, starting with basic descriptions and then moving onto mechanics. And after that, the system is basically done.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Regarding Defend: It'd be cool if there was an option to make outgoing attacks from someone within your melee reach less effective as well--e.g., if you could Shadow & Guard a gunman so that when they try to shoot the VIP you can do a Defend and make their shot Hard.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sure, that seems totally reasonable.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

So, I was thinking about cheerleaders today* and a couple setting questions came to mind. First off, is there going to be other Hero schools for students to compete against in Hero level death sports/Serious Business wholesome extracurricular activities or is it mostly in-house rivalry? Because if there are other schools to compete against it might be sorta fun if you took the cheerleaders=ninja clan thing you already have hinted at to the next level--Ouendan squads could seriously take it upon themselves to conduct espionage on rival athletic teams or at least act as bodyguards/counter-agents against less honorable schools. I like the idea for two reasons:

1. Evil cheerleader invasions.
2. Bakuhatsu cheerleaders would actually have more motivation to shadow jocks and be cliquey and secretive than in the real world.

Also, this is apropos of nothing, but the cheer squad's top enforcer should be the mysterious school mascot. I recommend a tanuki suit.

*I was playing Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2, so no, showers weren't involved.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm disappointed that you weren't thinking of cheerleaders in the proper way.

Anyway, yeah, the idea is that there are different campuses around the world, although they're basically all owned by Messiah Enterprises. Though inter-campus rivalry is encouraged.

I am overruling the tanuki thing. There will be no massive nut sacks. The mascot thing, maybe. But really, that could just be a case of them being a Beast Master or Monstrosity.