[Game] Bakuhatsu High

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'll settle for doing other things to the Japanese schoolgirl...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sure, I'll make this my priority for "things to do when on a break at work" rather than the Pokemon stuff (which is no longer quite so important).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Sweet.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

...So I guess I should probably let Ayako go, then?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sacrifices have to be made. I don't like it, you don't like it, she certainly doesn't like it, but you know there's nothing we can do about this. She'll just have to be sacrificed.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know, it's probably just water under the bridge at this point, but I think that this project hugely warrants a Game Design Flow Sheet.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I did the terminology bit, but it won't hurt to do the rest there to show how it's supposed to work.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Step 2: Write up a Six Person Party
Mitsuki the Lotus Fist, studies Drama and Piloting, Swimming Club
Akechi with the Ghost Sight, studies Art and Debate, Book Club
Clive the Maiden Knight, studies Computing and Forensics, Cheerleading Club
Hikaru the Heartblade , studies Hunting and Debate, Kendo Club
Francois the Noble, studies Hunting and Music, Chess Club
Jane the Monstrosity, studies Tech and Piloting, Cosplay Club

So several classes are shared, which is good, but everyone does their own thing for club activities - meaning it's likely to be "what do you do during downtime?"

Step 3: Write up a Three Person Party
Mitsuki, Francoise and Jane are in one team - so they have martial arts, "I am a monster" and psychic powers for combat. They also have the ability to fly around in a jet, fix the jet up, hunt things (including tracking, traps and such), and then they can JUST AS PLANNED people, mesmerise them with music (and mesmerism), and use disguises and acting to sneak about.

The other team has Hikaru, Akechi and Clive. In a fight, they have masterful magic swording, magical girl powers, and a controlled ghostly crocodile. They can also hack the pentagon, use DNA analysis of things, access ancient texts, hunt and argue with people - they can cover most bases.

Step Four: Outline an Adventure
All in good time.

Step Five: Write out a campaign
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Holy shit, I want to try this game out.

I can already think of one player candidate. I just need a few more...
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, do all characters have to be anime archetypes? 'Cause if not, I could definitely get into this.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You don't specifically have to be an anime stereotype personality such as "The tsundere" or whatever, but the game is explicitly based on various anime and is supposed to play out like one, because that is literally the only high school stuff that I don't intensely hate, except for stuff which has adult actresses and is typically produced in Eastern Europe.

So if you're not into anime, I'd recommend a completely different game.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Oh, no, I love anime, I just also like breaking molds.

What about Transformers*? There's been quite a few Japanese exclusive anime series, and there are a few character's that (sorta) fit the bill of the classes and such described here. Maybe the Headmaster thing could be similar to the Magic Girl transformation?

Also, since, from what I've read, you basically fight 大怪獣 (daikaiju), could I also play as one?

* Yes, yes, I realize I'm obsessed. So sue me.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I was going to suggest just using an android girl, but that seems conspicuously absent for a Koumei game... Though possibly they're meant to be part of the Magical Girl or Monstrosity houses...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

You can read more about that in the original discussion thread. Since the houses are more about what you do, instead of who you are, a cyborg girl could as easily be in the Martial Artist house as anywhere else. But if her whole shtick is "I am a robot girl who robots with robot powers" then she'd be in the sixth house.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

In a hypothetical "What do we want out of our campaign?" scenario, I'd actually vote strongly against Godzilla & crew but would be willing to welcome Teen Wolf or XJ-9 aboard. My rationale is that if the core As-If-Ran-By-Koumei game is to have a strong flavor rather than be a hopelessly diluted/aimless kitchen sink then I think it'd be important to bar characters who would just stomp around the grounds between fight scenes because they lack a reason to ever go to math class--those things are better as Ghost Sight pets and plot powered allies. I also think it's just plain unrealistic to expect the inhuman house to actually play like an "everything else" catchall. The best you can hope for is taking some concepts that have some rough conceptual similarities and giving them enough options to feel OK about themselves after some mixing and matching available powers. Some concepts simply aren't going to make the cut fully intact, and the process to determine what makes it and what doesn't is going be both arbitrary and inevitable. And that's OK.

Anyway, I dunno what sort of ideas Koumei has in mind for House Monstrosity since they haven't been written up yet, but if it were up to me, I'd stick with my earlier body modder suggestion and fluff their core power set as being stupidly tough due to not having to be overly concerned with li'l things like bodily integrity. Basically, the Terminator, Robocop, Major Kusanagi, Wolverine, Jason Voorhees and an undead knight may have different origins but they all share the sheer implacability shtick. And as far as utility goes, perhaps Monstrosities can create small proxies and/or have detachable parts--for example, the sciency types could bug a room by leaving behind a sensor while an undead/regenerator could seriously just leave behind an eye because growing another one is totally trivial if nothing else is going on.

And yeah, I know none of that fits with "Is a catgirl" and other super specific shticks. I think that's fine, because as Whatever pointed out, I think the houses should be about verbs rather than nouns. Besides, whether you think catgirls should be martial artists or guntoting tank pilots or magical girls or whatever god knows you can point to a manga artist who felt the same way and did something about it.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, once I get around to it, that's basically what House Monstrosity will be - super tough, bodies slowly altering and becoming more weaponised or whatever, potentially able to change their bodies or detach pieces. And if your shtick was "I am a robot girl/transformer", it would be House Monstrosity - there's even the bit where "Some of them change so dramatically they no longer consist of cells".

I'm sure everyone already has figured out that:
Messiah Enterprises manufactured the Abominations. After their research on the Hero Gene, of course. So they're making the enemies and also making the solution, and basically are being given "all the money" and more and more extra-judicial power across the world.
So technically, if you wanted to play an Abomination,
You'd be someone from House Monstrosity who is going to end up as an Abomination, going out of control.
I didn't get into the whole Transformers thing. When I was a kid, I did have one Transformers toy, but I was more into She-Ra (okay and He-Man), CatwomanBatman, Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Lady Lovely Locks, and Barbie. So as an adult I never went "Oh, Transformers, there's my childhood!" So I'm sure someone who is into that could potentially make it work or something, but that's not something I need to care about.

I don't mind watching Teen Wolf, but I wouldn't want to play in it. Also, it has way too much "muscular guys being shirtless" to hold my interest. Get back to me when there's an equal amount of "girls being shirtless".

Don't even know what XJ-9 is.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's the model name of the protagonist of "My Life As A Teenage Robot."

In other words, I'm cool with your character concept as long as it is "human" enough to give a shit about the freshman mixer.
bears fall, everyone dies
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Someone said Female Android again.

I raged at the improper term, since a female Droid is a Gynoid.
Also, what kind of dice (if any) would I need to play this game? I kinda forgot.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The problem is that most people see the word "Android" as meaning "Robot Person", whereas Gynoid sounds like some kind of sex toy.

And this game uses the Great and Holy Six Sided Die.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, if I've read all this right, that means Beetle Mania is right out? Haven't any of you people played King of the Monsters?! *sob*

beetle mania die for great unhappy

edit:
Anyway, that's okay. As I was reading through your description of the game, I noticed the bit about Magical Transforming Girls not having to be girls to start with, but always turn into them when they use their powers (sorta like Ranma 1/2). I've had a character concept that I've been working on for years about a guy who looks like Marth, and whose name is Penny (short for Penelope, a long story), and is often put into the kind of situations that often arise in cheesecake filled anime like Sailor Moon, often to his chagirn. He aslo is the universes chew toy and laughing stock. I think that that he'd be perfect for that role.

If that's more workable, then that's super.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Raging over gynoid is the dumbest thing ever. I am aware of the word but ultimately we're not classical Greeks--not that they used the word either, mind you-- and fighting some battles is way stupid after a while.

Gender bending and being the butt of jokes is in, although as far as I can tell half the reason Koumei is working on this again is because just writing an RPG for funsies and possible future use is way less regimented and demanding than herding cats players and running a game on schedule, so I rather doubt the viability of our pet character concepts will really matter any time soon.

Also, when you say Beetle Mania I think of the Fab Four, that mini-game in Super Mario RPG or Michael Keaton in some order.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Beetle Mania is a character from the SNK kaiju fighting game King of the Monsters. He was a great big beetle, and name was a pun on "Beatle Mania", get it? Anyway, he was my favorite character from that game, and seeing as this game focuses on lotsa anime tropes and concepts, I thought, why the hell not?

Michael Keaton only wishes he was as cool as Beetle Mania.
Half asleep upon my knee
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I rented that game once. I vaguely remember it being OK, which given my age at the time probably means it was terrible. Don't remember a beetle though.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Whipstitch wrote:Gender bending and being the butt of jokes is in, although as far as I can tell half the reason Koumei is working on this again is because just writing an RPG for funsies and possible future use is way less regimented and demanding than herding cats players and running a game on schedule, so I rather doubt the viability of our pet character concepts will really matter any time soon.
This is how the project came to be:
1. Curious about the Schola Progenum of 40k, I ask /tg/ if there's info on it anywhere.
2. They link to what little there is (suggesting that it's actually done well - unlike every fucking other part of the Imperium. Sure, you might get murdered, but as opposed to?), and also assume I wanted to run a game in that.
3. I comment that DH is not the system for that, as "You graduated from the Schola" is an actual character background/origin, and playing a starting character is bad enough, if your skills are even worse than that, it's just going to be a massive sack of shit.
4. Discussion follows on what it'd be like to have its own system, I decide it might be a fun project to make then share with /tg/, complete with manga inserts.
5. I discuss the idea on the Den, looking for advice, and as usual PL runs in, flips his lid and disagrees with every single part of the game.
6. Having told him to fuck off, I then decide to go for a different angle: still a specific setting, but this time one of my own creation (if basically cribbing from a dozen anime) and being 100% anime-based.
7. Here we are.

If/when it's complete I might still make it into a proper .pdf and share with /tg/, but they're not really interested in things that aren't:
A. Quest threads
B. Warhammer 40k (and what with 6E and the new Chaos release, they're pretty obsessed with that atm)
C. Alignment arguments
(There used to be Edition Wars, but given 4th is dead and 5th is a joke... yeah, they just don't really discuss it at all, occasionally there's a PF thing)

So maybe not.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

[warhammer derail]I dunno. I went all nerdy and read up on the Adeptus Mechanicus. Among other things, the Explorators were pretty cool. Asskicking and built-in motivation to do shit. I'm kinda surprised you didn't write 'em up in Dungeon Crusade, but considering how much else you put into Dungeon Crusade, I've got absolutely no room to complain.

Also, I confess that the new Necron fluff seems much better than "terrifyingly predictable machines with no personality or individual initiative." Maybe I'm just a philistine. [/derail]

I am looking forward to seeing Bakuhatsu High finished.
Last edited by Maxus on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!