[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

And for the fifth time, no less.
There's always a "good reason", an event, a celebration, anything. The thing is that they can't stop it. If they do and something happens, they'll be blamed for having stopped it. And with the constant fear-mongering, there aren't a lot of people who realize how inefficient and dangerous it is to keep it.

It's Vigipirate all over again.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Russian ambassador to Turkey murdered by religious nutter who gave short speech about remembering Aleppo as said ambassador lay dying.

Ironically, said ambassador was the chief negotiator of the current ceasefire for getting the civilians out of Aleppo. But religious fanatics are never ones to let facts get in the way of murdering someone.

Turns out it's easy to carry a gun into a secure area as an off-duty police officer in Turkey, and also their recent purge of the police force probably targeted the wrong people.

Probably not going to hurt Turkey-Russia relations in the long term, but the bad guys there have just shot one of the more capable peacemakers in the region, so, not good.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... mas-market
Yeah, the impacts are getting closer . . .

Also, killing a russian official?
Putin will not like that. Not. One. Bit.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/middl ... s-nuclear/
Duped by fake news story, Pakistani minister threatens nuclear war with Israel
well . . shit . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Richard Adams died.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

One by one.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Can't wait for Republican party to start making fun of them for "asking for" the joint invasion by US and Russia by letting us move them in.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Kaelik wrote:
Can't wait for Republican party to start making fun of them for "asking for" the joint invasion by US and Russia by letting us move them in.
...jesus christ
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

As the resident german, i will admit to being slightly concerned . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

The Obama administration believes that Russia, emboldened by their latest success, will pull more Crimea's. We're going to deploy a bunch of tanks and soldiers across eastern Europe so that if Russia wants to do that they literally have to be willing to fire on U.S. armed forces in order to take territory.

Cold war's formally back on. Hurrah.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Except it seems likely that Trump will either just recall the soldiers and tanks ahead of time, or say "It's okay, Mister Putin, go ahead and fire on them, we won't retaliate. Fuck those guys, joining the armed forces, they should have become reality TV hosts instead."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Well, it is intended to put Trump in the spot of being forced to recall them if he wishes to do so because the headline "Trump withdraws support from eastern Europe" is much harsher "Trump doesn't do a thing he probably should," and headlines will matter because we'll have at least one more set of free elections before we start feeding journalists polonium or whatever particular path down which our new authoritarian asshats will attempt to cement their regime.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

DSMatticus wrote:Well, it is intended to put Trump in the spot of being forced to recall them if he wishes to do so because the headline "Trump withdraws support from eastern Europe" is much harsher "Trump doesn't do a thing he probably should," and headlines will matter because we'll have at least one more set of free elections before we start feeding journalists polonium or whatever particular path down which our new authoritarian asshats will attempt to cement their regime.
I'm not so sure about that. Seems like "keep telling all the white people to ignore all news and get their info from my ass and keep telling black people HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Remember when you could vote? Yeah, I thought that was intrusive, so I stopped it" seems to be the path they have chosen, and we have negative 7 elections since that started.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Negative seven?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shatner wrote:Negative seven?
Any number is as arbitrary as any other since it's just a slow build up over time.

Shelby and Comey and Brietbart this last election are upscales, so it could be that negative 1 is the best number, but 2004 is a good year for the same nonsense since there was a sudden upswing in weaponized voter suppression by republicans leading up to that election.

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Yeah, it's very hard to pick a start date for deliberate disenfranchisement. Justice Roberts tells us all "racism is over, stop whining?" The 2010 gerrymandering? Voter ID laws? It never really went away? All of the above?

It's also very hard to pick a start date for the right-wing propaganda machine. I mean, you say Breitbart, but is Fox News really any better? They say in dog whistles what Breitbart says explicitly, but in the end viewers walk away with the same misinfo.

But yeah, we probably hit the tipping point sometime during the Bush 2.0 years. That is likely when Republicans saw the writing on the wall about their own demise - what with the popular vote/electoral college split and the Supreme Court ultimately deciding an election - and made the willful decision to focus their efforts on rewriting the rules to favor them as opposed to making policy changes to draw in voters at the expense of their plutocratic sponsors.

But even this strategy barely won them 2016 with the help of what almost amounts to a police coup, and the policies they're about to enact are NOT going to earn them any new supporters. They are going to have to escalate in order to retain power now that they have it, so who the fuck knows what horrors we're in for.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Mexico vows to never pay for Trump wall.

On the bright side, Mexico also states the interest of seeking better free market deals with the E.U. since it seems like the Trump will slap a bunch of taxes in their other border.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

maglag wrote:Mexico vows to never pay for Trump wall.

On the bright side, Mexico also states the interest of seeking better free market deals with the E.U. since it seems like the Trump will slap a bunch of taxes in their other border.
If you think there will be any tariffs at all... well I was going to say something about how stupid and credulous you are, but then I realized you are maglag, so it would be redundant.

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

maglag wrote:Mexico vows to never pay for Trump wall.

Why do you think Mexico refusing to pay is not a 'bright side', too? I understand it would be an ecological disaster as well as doing virtually nothing to stop illegal immigration.

Do you understand that most illegal immigrants came here legally, then stayed after they were supposed to leave? Do you understand that there is a huge demand for agricultural workers (generally seasonal) and that without 'guest workers' the work just won't get done? The work is so grueling and labor intensive that very few Americans are willing to do it - especially since they can't get rich doing it.

Were you aware that approximately 2/3 of the illegal immigrants to this country have been here more than 10 years and fewer than 1/3 have been here less than 5 years?

In point of fact, do you know ANYTHING?
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

deaddm, is maglag your new calling in life now that shadzar is banned? This feels like the start of a legacy.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I think he keeps slinking off and coming back hoping that enough time has passed that people will forget him being pants-on-head retarded. I'm not following him around a host of threads to harass him or anything, but I do think he should admit that he was not only wrong, but VERY WRONG. Like, it may seem weird that I keep bringing it up, but this is what he actually said:
maglag wrote:
Funny that you complain about Russia and China in specific, because those are both the countries that for hundreds of years have mostly been happy to keep to their borders.
I mean - that is what he said and it has all the context it need. It's not like he was trying to make relative comparisons - he absolutely is saying that they've 'mostly been happy to keep to their borders'.

Which is not even close to being factual.

I don't have a problem with anyone choosing to interpret facts differently than I do. That's a good basis for a conversation, and that's something that I can learn from. But as Patrick Moynihan observed, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." If maglag can't admit to being wrong in the light of overwhelming evidence, I don't think he can contribute to the conversation. More to the point, I don't think he SHOULD. So as long as he persists, I feel I have to keep pointing out why nobody should listen to him.

But really, if he admits he was wrong and/or stops using mistaken history to defend the policies of questionable regimes, I'd stop pointing out that he has nothing to contribute.
-This space intentionally left blank
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

deaddmwalking wrote:Do you understand that there is a huge demand for agricultural workers (generally seasonal) and that without 'guest workers' the work just won't get done? The work is so grueling and labor intensive that very few Americans are willing to do it - especially since they can't get rich doing it.
While there is a huge demand for guest workers it is very important not to confuse 'horrible business practices make this job unacceptably horrible even for low-income Americans' with 'Americans are unwilling to do the job.'

There are a lot of problems with the agricultural industry, including the nature of pay, the work conditions, and the geography of where and when those jobs are available (notably many of the rural areas that need season agricultural jobs are no longer capable of supporting or housing a sufficient resident labor base) that make them extremely difficult to fill with conventional employees and highly abusive. The big agribusinesses love to abuse legal immigrants (notably the many East African refugees who've been settled in the Great Plains in the past two decades) as well and play upon their fears.

Generally if a job is so horrible that broke American citizens won't take it there's some wrong with the nature of the job, not with the nature of Americans. If the agriculture industry can't sustain itself without willfully violating labor laws, housing laws, and a bunch of other protections the solution is not to provide them with a limitless supply of workers without any legal protections who can be paid below minimum wage and can be paid in cash and thereby short the IRS, the solution is to reform that industry.