Forum Based Play (RPoL)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Forum Based Play (RPoL)

Post by Koumei »

So, I'm in contact with a friend I haven't heard from in ages. We're chatting away, and reminiscing about old times - we met back when PlaybyWeb was the big thing in forum roleplaying (like, back when GW actually had a forum, so ~2000). At any rate, I'm joining a silly D&D game she's made, and decided to run a game on RPoL.

Now, I put a few different ideas up, and when she's back from a holiday she'll have time to look over them and decide. But when that decision is made, there'll need to be other players.

Anyone here like playing by post? I know IRC actually allows for real-time play so games move faster, but on the other hand, we also know how hard it is to shepherd everyone into the one timeslot, especially across different timezones, and we also know about my sleep habits.

The possibilities are:
1. MORE DISGAEAGAME! (Note: I'll totally get the document finished and uploaded for it. Yes, this will make it MORE played and popular than 4E. Eat a dick, Mearls.)

2. After Sundown, though I've never played or run it before.

3. Pokemon... IN WAR! Yes, the militaries having diglets cause cave-ins, Fearows dropping bombs, people riding Rhydons like knights, with lances/autocannons. Using the template/class-package type variant of BESM that I suggested for Tengen Toppa Cthulhu Ftagn.

4. Pretty Soldier Adepta Sororitas. Which might be played straight mostly serious (is anything straight with me? In before someone points out some bone or neural pathway or something is perfectly straight in all humans.), as an investigation-and-ass-kicking game. Or possibly played silly, with Alpha Legion launching panty raids and so on - possibly to the point of using Maid instead.

But at the moment, I'm just seeing who here is fine with play-by-post, so I can recruit from here rather than trying it on RPoL with people I don't know (and therefore, don't like). So I'm not asking for a vote on what to run, because she will make the decision, and then of the people here who are cool with PbP, you guys can choose to play or not, as you see fit.

Note that this obviously does not mean the IRC game is going on hold/cancelled. It's just another, separate thing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I am totally down with PbP and further awesome.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Count me in as well...

...unless something takes my time away again.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I like play-by-post games.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I'd be potentially interested in a Disgaeagame pbp.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Forum Based Play (RPoL)

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote:1. MORE DISGAEAGAME! (Note: I'll totally get the document finished and uploaded for it. Yes, this will make it MORE played and popular than 4E. Eat a dick, Mearls.)
I'm horrible at PbP timing so I won't be signing up, but my vote is for finishing and uploading the revision regardless of the actual game choice.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Don't worry, I intend on doing that anyway. Still working on prestige classes - 17 more to go!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'd be good for a game of After Sundown.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Quantumboost wrote:I am totally down with PbP and further awesome.
ditto
Koumei wrote:Tengen Toppa Cthulhu Ftaghn
that... is much better than what I thought up.
Last edited by Prak on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I"m up for this. I vote for Pokemon war.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I'd be down for PbP Disgaeagame or After Sundown.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

..Do I need to vote? I thought it was stated that our votes didn't matter.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'm pretty sure the people mentioning specific games aren't putting in votes, just saying "I will play if you run A but not if you run B." That's what I was getting at with mine, at least.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'd play After Sundown.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd like to voice a desire to play After Sundown, because i have a character idea from the weirdest nazi science project i have ever read about.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Chamomile wrote:I'm pretty sure the people mentioning specific games aren't putting in votes, just saying "I will play if you run A but not if you run B." That's what I was getting at with mine, at least.
Thanks for the clarification. In that case:
1. MORE DISGAEAGAME!: Probably
2. After Sundown: Probably
3. Pokemon... IN WAR!: Maybe
4. Pretty Soldier Adepta Sororitas.: Probably not

Depending on the campaign pitch.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I say Disgaea game...because I have no idea how After Sundown works, and the things I have heard...I wouldn't like it.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's... not like it's on the forum or anything...

icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Stupid comment was stupid on my part. Then again, checking first page, and I stay by what I say...After Sundown isn't really interesting me...