Dominions III: Anyone game?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dominions III: Anyone game?

Post by Ancient History »

While the research for my essay on Lovecraftian erotica is diverting, I feel a desire for some DomIII multiplayer. I've never started a game before, but there's no time like the present to learn. Is anyone else game, and if so what are your preferred age/suggested map? My only real preference is for a relatively strict schedule on the turns (24 hours, by preference), since delays irk the living shit out of me.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Count me interested. Now that finals are over, I'm approaching a decent-sized chunk of free time, and I think I'd be willing to play some more Dominions. I think I'd like to try out a new Late-Age faction, and maybe pitch one of my mod nations if I get a new build together. I definitely like the idea of 24-hour turn intervals.

A couple notes on my playstyle: I'm not a very competitive dom3 player, so I am unlikely to get caught up in forum drama and accusations of dire treachery. I am more likely to spend that energy on making terrible politicomics in Photoshop. This may be a plus or minus, depending on the sort of game you want. When I hit lategame, I am unlikely to bother upgrading my tactics much, so my nation will likely fold quickly if it goes up against someone that bothers scripting communions or doing other more than casual micromanagement. I tend to have fun whether my nation is winning or losing.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm interested and prefer Middle Era, but it's not a deal-breaker.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Middle Era works for me too. There are a number of factions I could have fun playing. Man might be interesting. I could dump piles of nature gems into amassing a dread horde of vine men to stand between my archers and invaders. Or maybe I could try building a new mod faction over the weekend and see whether it looks decent enough to pitch for the game.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

If you would like another player, I am interested. I have no preferences, as I am equally (in)compenant in all era's.

I would prefer a slightly larger map though. Running into my neighbors on turn 3 tends to flip my panicked, aggro switch. Not a major concern, it just makes the first 15 turns a bit stressful for me.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Winnah wrote:I would prefer a slightly larger map though. Running into my neighbors on turn 3 tends to flip my panicked, aggro switch. Not a major concern, it just makes the first 15 turns a bit stressful for me.
You want to make some kind of limited peace agreement before the game starts?

I will make the following proposal:
- Neither of us invades the other in year 1.
- If one of us does decide to invade the other, 5 turns advance notice.
- If we both agree to it, we can have limited battles over specific border provinces or something without that sliding into full war.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I might be interested in some kind of grace period, but I don't neccesarily want to force my prefences on someone else, especially if they wanted to play a rush strategy.

If it looks like people are interested in a smaller map, then I will simply avoid taking an imprisoned pretended and try something else.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm interested and prefer Middle Era, but it's not a deal-breaker.
Likewise.

Top three choices or random nation assignments would probably be best. Slapjack race selection always leads to annoyance.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay, so that's five with me:

Ancient History
Angelfromanotherpin
Avoraciopoctules
Frank Trollman
Winnah

Anyone else? I'm still looking at maps, but I would prefer a medium or large playing area, and Middle Age by preference.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I'd like to try out Consecrated Grounds, but it might be a bit big for 5 players.

EDIT:

My top 5 nation choices, in order

Man
C'tis
Pangaea
Ulm
Pythium

I'm fine with any method of nation selection.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

If you're going by preference, I would like to get my monster on. In order of preference

Shinuyama, Pangaea, Abyssia.

Happy with a random assignment though. Could be fun.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Designate me:

Man
Abysia
Ermor.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Just a heads up. If you are going to use llamaserver, be aware that someone has apparently been spamming the site.

For the time being, new games have to be created by Llamabeast. If you mail him the details, he'll be able to set the game up for you. He's a nice guy. llamabeast [at] llamaserver [dot] com

replace the [at] and [dot] with relevant characters.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Anybody not want to use Consecrated Ground?
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Given that I now have a steady job with non-crazy hours, I'd like to jump back into Dom3 multiplayer.

If there's room for another player, my choices would be -

Machaka
Marignon
Bandar Log

I'm fine with any map.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'd like:

Atlantis
Bandar Log
Mictlan

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Ancient History wrote:Anybody not want to use Consecrated Ground?
I don't. It's *far* too big for five or even six players.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

T'be honest, I sort of prefer a larger map. Makes the late game more interesting if the players aren't all right on top of each other at the beginning. Can you live with it if we go that way?

Gnosticism: Welcome aboard.

I'm thinking 20 VPs total, 11 for a win. How does that grab everybody?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'm fine with a larger map, but something in the 20-25 provinces/player range seems ample. 35-40/player is excessive given just how much micromanagement is already involved in less expansive games.

I don't even understand what makes CG interesting in the first place; isn't it just a random?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

<shrug> If you have another one you'd like to suggest, I'm open to suggestion.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

I'd like in on this if there's still room. As far as nations go:

Ashdod
Abysia
Jotunheim
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Ancient History wrote:<shrug> If you have another one you'd like to suggest, I'm open to suggestion.
Land of Ethereal Squirrels seems fine.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm fine with squirrels. Does anyone have a problem with squirrels?

Welcome aboard Quantum. Does anyone not have their top three nations listed yet?
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Parganos may be a little more suitable if a water nation is in play. 135 provinces, 19 of which are water.

More sea provinces, which could mean that the nation does not gain a monopoly on those territories. Also has the potential for them to get a relatively equal slice of the map should they have trouble landing.

More maps here

I'm not really fussy. But I like a lot of diversity in terrain. Happy to respect any choice though.